ADVERTISEMENT

Biden is an idiot! 15$ minimum wage will destroy a lot of businesses*

That will likely be the sticking point of his bill. Or was it not included in this bill? I couldn't remember if he said he wants that or it's in the bill.

He knows he won't ever get that. But it will make him look good to propose it. This lays the foundation for him to negotiate a higher minimum wage. You know, you don't pay the sticker price for a car or offer a home owner what they are asking.

Reactions: RoyDawgMercer
That what going to happen 15 dollars is coming . So they can tax these people so they can pay for their free stuff

Yep, going to be lots of unemployed clerks and cashiers
A lot more people than that. Small towns across America don't pay their office staff that. Substitute Teachers and Para pros don't get paid that much in most states. Its just another I'm going to do this for you political BS talking point that the Sheeple think they'll get. And even if they do, inflation and increased prices will put them right back where they are now.

Reactions: Athens is Heaven
Yep, going to be lots of unemployed clerks and cashiers

retailers will figure it out of if it happens. they will cut hours to part time to avoid paying benefits. It’s been headed that way for years anyway.

Full timers will be few...

prices will be raised for the consumer. all of this helps nothing, it makes things worse & could put some out of business.

we all lose.

he/they need to stick to something they know about and quit posturing.

Last edited:
That what going to happen 15 dollars is coming . So they can tax these people so they can pay for their free stuff
Nope 15/hr 30 hours a week is 450 a week. Won’t make the tax threshold. It will force employers to push more into FICA, SS. It will increase employer contribution to SS by 30%.

Reactions: Dawgdocindosta
What is the dumbest part of a minimum wage is that it doesn't account for the cost of living.

So $15 dollars might not be anything in california but in Georgia that is a huge increase.

Any Minimum wage should be adjusted to the cost of living.

Lets be honest that 600 dollars really wasn't that much for someone living in LA or New York.

Also as @Deadlyputter mentioned about its just going to put people out of work and cause inflation in the already hard

What is the dumbest part of a minimum wage is that it doesn't account for the cost of living.

So $15 dollars might not be anything in california but in Georgia that is a huge increase.

Lets be honest that 600 dollars really wasn't that much for someone living in LA or New York.

Also as @Deadlyputter mentioned about its just going to put people out of work and cause inflation in the already hard
Minimum wage is completely stupid for the reasons you say. I can make an argument that the min wage should be abolished and let the market sort out the wage scale. The market will sort it out anyway - for example if Walmart has 2 clerks and they automate one out of a job they just lowered min wage to 7.50.

Reactions: Deadlyputter
The market will sort it out anyway - for example if Walmart has 2 clerks and they automate one out of a job they just lowered min wage to 7.50.

Is this some new math they are teaching? I don't know what has gotten you all stirred up, but at least you usually make sense.

Reactions: shonuff253

We are getting there here in Woodstock...All the low end/FF spots are starting folks at $12-14 an hour. Market seems to be working in our neck of the woods.
Heck the day labor is asking $20. Was paying those guys $10 15 years ago

Minimum wage is completely stupid for the reasons you say. I can make an argument that the min wage should be abolished and let the market sort out the wage scale. The market will sort it out anyway - for example if Walmart has 2 clerks and they automate one out of a job they just lowered min wage to 7.50.

minimum wage stays the same in your example & unemployment goes up......

Reactions: Deadlyputter
Correct but Walmart’s effective wage is half of minimum wage.

their payroll is reduced, which effectively puts some out of jobs. which I have mentioned before.

also mentioned that some companies will just make more work part time to avoid paying benefits. the retailer is forced to adjust to survive.....or some will just be out of business. prices go up & the consumer pays.

I believe we are both saying the same, just in a different way.

I am all for a minimum wage so that companies do not take advantage......but this big of jump will do more harm than good.

probably won’t pass anyway....they are just better off printing more money.

Reactions: blackpug6
their payroll is reduced, which effectively puts some out of jobs. which I have mentioned before.

also mentioned that some companies will just make more work part time to avoid paying benefits. the retailer is forced to adjust to survive.....or some will just be out of business. prices go up & the consumer pays.

I believe we are both saying the same, just in a different way.

I am all for a minimum wage so that companies do not take advantage......but this big of jump will do more harm than good.

probably won’t pass anyway....they are just better off printing more money.
We are saying the same, where I differ is min wage should not be federally mandated.

Country, I'm pretty sure this is only Federal ...you know he wants everybody to get onboard ,that would be tough on small business's !

We are saying the same, where I differ is min wage should not be federally mandated.

minimum wage has been around since 1938 & has been a good thing, not bad.....but this big of jump would not be good imo.

nonetheless, it will not be worked out here.....or they would be “axing”.

He's saying they will cut their workforce in half and double the workload of everyone left.
Why don’t you go back and read what I responded to. I mentioned the math regarding the $7.50 minimum wage, which makes no sense. And he said nothing about doubling the workload, but that automation would replace a real person.

I don't know what might pass since Biden doesn't get to actually write the bill, but I would think it would be an area of compromise. And since we just passed a constitutional amendment to raise the minimum wage to $15 over a period of years in Florida (with annual adjustments), I don't really have a problem with Federal legislation.

Why don’t you go back and read what I responded to. I mentioned the math regarding the $7.50 minimum wage, which makes no sense. And he said nothing about doubling the workload, but that automation would replace a real person.

I don't know what might pass since Biden doesn't get to actually write the bill, but I would think it would be an area of compromise. And since we just passed a constitutional amendment to raise the minimum wage to $15 over a period of years in Florida (with annual adjustments), I don't really have a problem with Federal legislation.
Sometimes one has to read between the lines. Thought I was helping you out but you only seem offended.

Please don't feel I was offended. Phoenix is smart and saying that's a $7.50 minimum wage made no sense on his part. I'm okay with him being against the possible legislation, he could have just said it the first time.

retailers will figure it out of if it happens. they will cut hours to part time to avoid paying benefits. It’s been headed that way for years anyway.

Full timers will be few...

prices will be raised for the consumer. all of this helps nothing, it makes things worse & could put some out of business.

we all lose.

he/they need to stick to something they know about and quit posturing.
OIDIOT care all over again

That’s what he and rest of that mob are trying to do. The want big business to rule. That is the libs goal.
Wrong. 180* off. Can't believe how consistently incorrect it is. The PUBS are the ones in favor of oligopoly and big corporations. The Dems want the reverse. Jeeses, Dude.

Who says they make $15 an hour on Manhattan. They make more than that

Raising people's wages hurts the economy? You folks realize that, along with population growth and spending growth, that wage growth is a fundamental part of the economy? Henry Ford once raised the wages of everyone in his factories because he realized they couldn't even afford to buy the product they were making. What you're ignoring is the fact that raising the money that the poorest population earns contributes a lot more to the economy than raising how much the top one percent earns.... Why? because when you increase the wages of the poor they spend it on everyday goods and services. Businesses will adapt and benefit from a rise in minimum wages.

Raising people's wages hurts the economy? You folks realize that, along with population growth and spending growth, that wage growth is a fundamental part of the economy? Henry Ford once raised the wages of everyone in his factories because he realized they couldn't even afford to buy the product they were making. What you're ignoring is the fact that raising the money that the poorest population earns contributes a lot more to the economy than raising how much the top one percent earns.... Why? because when you increase the wages of the poor they spend it on everyday goods and services. Businesses will adapt and benefit from a rise in minimum wages.
Why does the Govt have the right to tell you the amount you have to pay anyone? You can’t pay some kid $15/hr to flip burgers or stuff a taco. The Mickey Ds fry station is not a career. This is nanny state chit, and the very last person who should have any right to impose rules upon my business is you.

Wrong. 180* off. Can't believe how consistently incorrect it is. The PUBS are the ones in favor of oligopoly and big corporations. The Dems want the reverse. Jeeses, Dude.
Really? I wonder why all these big corporations are stifling the speech of pubs and the military industrial complex give tons of money to the Dems. Not to mention that most of the corporate law firms support Dems. In addition, wall street has been a big source of Dem contributions. I believe Dems are flush with corporate cash.

What do you think happens to people currently making $15 an hour. Assistant Managers etc. they will no longer be ok with current pay. Everyone’s pay has to go up. Pass on costs to consumer. Inflationary reaction

Reactions: benchwarmerdawg
What do you think happens to people currently making $15 an hour. Assistant Managers etc. they will no longer be ok with current pay. Everyone’s pay has to go up. Pass on costs to consumer. Inflationary reaction
Since you can find a differing opinion everywhere you look, I found this article that looked at and quantified previous studies from economists and then showed the percentage of those for and against.

Reactions: benchwarmerdawg

^^^never operated or owned a business....and probably doesn't understand a profit and loss sheet or has seen one.

everything ain't black and white my friend. to take a broad brush and raise the wage that much is gonna hurt some folks.....businesses, layoffs and hours cut. not to mention the consumers wallet.

a small increase, I think most can understand....but this kind of jump is gonna hurt.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT