ADVERTISEMENT

Can't believe how thoughtless

So based on your first paragraph, why don’t you wear a mask?

I don't think they can hurt, but their effectiveness has been way overblown. It's essentially the last thing we haven't tried on widespread scale so everyone is all-in on them with this latest spike. Absolutely nobody was demanding masks be worn at the initial height of this virus in the spring.

I take the virus very seriously. My family and I adhere to the guidelines. I social distance wherever I go in public, which I believe is the greatest factor. I'm a germophobe who has always washed my hands in OCD fashion throughout the day. This latest spike is being caused by younger people packing into dense social gatherings - I'm not in any of those environments. I honestly don't believe a mask is needed at Publix or Home Depot walking around by myself.

I also have asthma and any face covering can actually induce coughing for me. Cough in a public place these days and some nut freaks out. I'd rather get nasty looks for no mask than cough.

I don't think they can hurt, but their effectiveness has been way overblown. It's essentially the last thing we haven't tried on widespread scale so everyone is all-in on them with this latest spike. Absolutely nobody was demanding masks be worn at the initial height of this virus in the spring.

I take the virus very seriously. My family and I adhere to the guidelines. I social distance wherever I go in public, which I believe is the greatest factor. I'm a germophobe who has always washed my hands in OCD fashion throughout the day.

I also have asthma and any face covering can actually induce coughing for me. Cough in a public place these days and so nut freaks out. I'd rather get nasty looks for no mask than cough.
I gotcha

my neighbor has been. He told no one that his wife and daughter have the virus. He and I walk our dogs together and interact on a daily basis. Not a word from him about health issues. Found out yesterday about this and I'm not happy.
In
Common sense moved out of the country a while ago
Yep. 52 of 3144 counties is America are experiencing a rise, yet we’re letting it all burn. That’s 98.3% of the counties in America declining, yet we’re basing policy and actions off of the 1.7%. As Rip on Yelllowstone would say, “I believe in stupid because you show it to me every f***ing day.”

Why is there so much mask shaming on both sides?

Why do I care if others wear largely ineffective masks? Why do I care if others don't wear largely ineffective masks?

I see people walking around constantly fooling with, touching, pulling down, and adjusting their masks. Constantly. How is this helping *me*? Unless the mask is an N95 or surgical mask that is only touched carefully to be removed, what is it really doing other than making a statement?

Is incorrectly claiming they are largely ineffective part of the problem? I think so. Even 25-50% effective will make a big difference compared to 0%.

If you Take an objective look at the data, you’ll find you are the one sporting Reynold’s wrap, in addition to being scared of your own shadow, but hey, to each his own

You are the one that is whining about a paranoid slippery slope, not me.

I know a guy that sells Poisonous spiders ...

giphy.gif

Agreed.

Funny thing.. 1-2 months ago the media couldn't talk enough about Covid deaths, however; since we all now know 99.75% of the people WORLDWIDE that have contracted it will and do survive, the narrative has changed. Now all they talk about is the # of "CASES". They can no longer scare with the death rate.. so now they try and do it by talking about the # of cases. :eek:
Cool, but as the number of cases explodes AGAIN, so do the number of PREVENTABLE deaths, regardless of what percentage that represents of the total number infected. We ALL want this to go away, but pretending it isn't still a MAJOR threat is shortsighted, selfish and counterproductive. At the point, EVERY developed country except the U.S. has it under control. We are the only ones debating public health measures as political talking points and it's costing unnecessary loss of life and QUALITY of life.

Reactions: rectomo
In

Yep. 52 of 3144 counties is America are experiencing a rise, yet we’re letting it all burn. That’s 98.3% of the counties in America declining, yet we’re basing policy and actions off of the 1.7%. As Rip on Yelllowstone would say, “I believe in stupid because you show it to me every f***ing day.”

Just for context. Here is hospital census data for the 2nd largest hospital system in Georgia since 04/01.

BUT CASES ARE INCREASING!

graph-7-6-20.jpg

I said when the spike happened and the numbers went up, we should wait a couple of weeks to make sure that we didn’t see a corresponding increase in the death rate, and it has now been two weeks since we had a fairly big jump looking at the seven day average, and the death rate isn’t coming close to approximating what we had a couple of months ago with similar case numbers. I think in a couple of weeks people are going to take a very different view of this entire ordeal. There is still legitimate concern with hospitalizations in some states, but we aren’t anywhere near the place we were a couple of months ago. For that reason, I think everyone needs to just remain patient, take commonsense precautions, and give this a few weeks to play out so that we have a better understanding of where things truly are.
The increase is cases is more than 2 weeks ago, it’s been well over 3 weeks at this point and deaths still haven’t moved. That doesn’t take into account the delay in getting test results back.

The increase is cases is more than 2 weeks ago, it’s been well over 3 weeks at this point and deaths still haven’t moved. That doesn’t take into account the delay in getting test results back.

What's being overlooked, too, is that they've simply learned a great deal about how to better treat the virus. Ventilators were drowning patients to death. Therapeutics and better understanding of low oxygen levels and treatment have made this a much more manageable illness for most.

OP, I was in the grocery store on Saturday. Had my mask on. A man without a mask was about 12 feet away from me. He let out 2 loud sneezes without once covering his face. After he sneezed he looked at me and grinned.

Had a mind to say something to him, but given the number of videos of store freakouts lately, I didn't want to go there.

the mask wearing is just the first thing they want to require of everyone, then it will be mandatory testing, then it will be required vaccine (that may or may not work), then its going to be required tracking. See where its going? The polite thing for the friend to do would be to tell the OP, but if someone is scared of contracting the virus, they should isolate themselves. That's the only true way to protect yourself. I've seen some new models stating that 80% of the population will have this by the time its finished, from the model creators that had it right all along.

Ye olde slippery slope argument. Translate: "I don't really have an argument."

I like to see folks saying masks are ineffective. It's like an IQ test
If you're talking about me, that's not exactly what I said. The fact that mask shaming exists on both sides to the extent of calling people stupid that disagree regarding their effectiveness is absolutely true.

as opposed to the “I can’t prove My own point so I will attack him instead to try and put him on the defensive” argument.

No, just pointing out that when one devolves into the slippery slope argument, it typically means you've run out of good reasons for your position. That's all. Wear a mask, it won't hurt you.

Is this an actual thing that happened? I mean I at least on some level get the mask stuff but to not tell people you hang out with you have a communicable disease? Yikes

So what you thinking counselor ?

Perry Sentell Query “Arises to the level of a Tort?”

Foreseeable? Duty of care?

Long Island RR neighbor walking his dog, droplets of Corona Spread, Proximate Cause of unwarned public contracting an exploding virus? What if the neighbor, Ms Palsgraf, has nerve and Psychological damages And starts to stutter?

Suppose she infects a man who has a thin skull and he falls and injures his head Irrevocably as a proximate cause of the fever brought in by Infection from Mrs Palsgraf?

Reactions: donalsonville_dawg
Those are the people who define "freedom" one as "irrevocable personal privilege" and leave out the "duty to others" part. I saw a guy at the grocery store on Saturday decked out head-to-toe in red, white and blue, joking cynically about the folks wearing masks around him. In this context, I see it as being impossible to be patriotic while also needlessly putting other Americans at risk.
Simple question for you, not a debate, a question: if you are wearing a mask, the other person isn't, aren't you protected form him/her? If that fool wasn't wearing one, everyone else was, can he spread it to you, or can he catch it from those wearing mask?

Simple question for you, not a debate, a question: if you are wearing a mask, the other person isn't, aren't you protected form him/her? If that fool wasn't wearing one, everyone else was, can he spread it to you, or can he catch it from those wearing mask?

the only study I saw went like this:

People exposed to normal conversational Airborne droplets that could amount to a viral load for normal persons to contract COVID-19

27% regular Cotton/nylon mask
02% with surgical
01% with N95

The Docs, Nurses, Dental Hygenists, and Cancer survivors I know personally all 100% wear a surgical or N95 if they venture out.

the only study I saw went like this:

People exposed to normal conversational Airborne droplets that could amount to a viral load for normal persons to contract COVID-19

27% regular Cotton/nylon mask
02% with surgical
01% with N95
If you are wearing a mask you won't emit the droplets, nor inhale them. If someone is the only one not wearing a mask, everyone else is wearing one, that one person is fairly safe? His concern would be getting it from a surface?

I didn't tell anyone when I had tested positive. Its nobody elses business. The neighbor probably was afraid of the 'rona militia and mask nazis trying to badger his family.
You seem to have missed the part of the thread where he mingled with neighbors when he knew he had it. Did you do that? If not, apples and oranges. No one is saying you have to tell people you have it. What we are saying is that once you have it, you have a responsibility to not be around others, or if you are or have to be you should let them know. If you don't agree with that, we have different ideas on what it is to be a responsible citizen.

The answer is both wearing a mask is better than just one, which is better than neither.

If you are wearing a mask you won't emit the droplets, nor inhale them. If someone is the only one not wearing a mask, everyone else is wearing one, that one person is fairly safe? His concern would be getting it from a surface?

untrue. You will emit. You will inhale.

The question becomes the viral load is my understanding.

You seem to have missed the part of the thread where he mingled with neighbors when he knew he had it. Did you do that? If not, apples and oranges. No one is saying you have to tell people you have it. What we are saying is that once you have it, you have a responsibility to not be around others, or if you are or have to be you should let them know. If you don't agree with that, we have different ideas on what it is to be a responsible citizen.

I hit up the Ivy when I stopped coughing/felt better.

What bothered me was his attitude and simply not appreciating that a Kroger in Dunwoody on July 4 constitutes a fairly high-risk environment. Not only is the store busy, but everyone is clumped around the same areas: beer aisle, meat department, dairy. Social distancing isn’t easy in that situation, so him choosing not to participate in the other best option for containment adds to that risk. It’s so damn simple. Why not just wear the mask? Your question (asked in good faith, no doubt) implies that some of us just get to benefit from everyone ELSE doing what they should. That attitude is almost uniquely American, and it’s been to our detriment in this case.

Nationwide that is the case, but that is because many states are going down, and many states are going up. If you look at the curves of FL, GA, AZ, CA, TX, you will see the death rates have started to go up in all those states. I tend to look at things locally, not nationally as I think this has to be handled locally. So a national trend today doesn't tell the whole story, just like it didn't back in March and April.

FWIW, I think Kemp and DeSantos get a lot of grief when they have done well. I am for the re-opening and expected a surge. A lot of the increases are because of increased testing. A lot of the increases are due to bars and protests and rioting, all of which should be better controlled. All that said, deaths are going up in the "hot spots."

My crystal ball says that closing bars, stopping protests and rioting, and the upward momentum will slow down even in the hot spots.

Nationwide that is the case, but that is because many states are going down, and many states are going up. If you look at the curves of FL, GA, AZ, CA, TX, you will see the death rates have started to go up in all those states. I tend to look at things locally, not nationally as I think this has to be handled locally. So a national trend today doesn't tell the whole story, just like it didn't back in March and April.

FWIW, I think Kemp and DeSantos get a lot of grief when they have done well. I am for the re-opening and expected a surge. A lot of the increases are because of increased testing. A lot of the increases are due to bars and protests and rioting, all of which should be better controlled. All that said, deaths are going up in the "hot spots."

My crystal ball says that closing bars, stopping protests and rioting, and the upward momentum will slow down even in the hot spots.
You can look at each of those states mentioned and the deaths have either declined(GA) or been mostly flat Or slight increases during the past three weeks but no where near the level expected with the increase in cases. I agree with your point overall but the lag that has been present between confirmed case and death (10-14 days) is no longer there in the same pattern it’s been the entire time up to this point.

Reactions: JCarbo76
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT