ADVERTISEMENT

Covid cases vs. deaths in Georgia- trends...

FivePtsDawg

El Guapo
Gold Member
Dec 12, 2001
Dunwoody
On May 25 (Memorial Day), the rolling 7-day average for daily new Covid cases in Georgia was 594. That was the last day where we had a drop in the rolling 7-day average of cases since the previous peak of 760 on April 22. The rolling 7-day average has gone up every day since then, culminating in a daily average of 1,682 on June 22, which is the last day that falls outside of the 14-day window, about which the Georgia DPH says, "Confirmed cases over the last 14 days may not be accounted for due to illnesses yet to be reported or test results may still be pending".

On May 25, the rolling 7-day average for daily Covid deaths in Georgia was 26. The rolling 7-day average has gone down steadily since then, culminating in a daily average of 15 on June 22.

I know deaths are a lagging indicator for Covid, but exactly how lagging are they? May 25 was 6 weeks ago. We have 4 full weeks of data since then. In those 4 weeks, cases have increased 183%, while deaths have fallen by 73%. I mean, I wish cases weren't going up like they are, but I also think there are a number of reasons why that was inevitable. But as long as deaths keep going down, isn't that a positive that should also be focused on? Why does it now all of a sudden have to be all about the cases?

https://dph.georgia.gov/covid-19-daily-status-report

On May 25 (Memorial Day), the rolling 7-day average for daily new Covid cases in Georgia was 594. That was the last day where we had a drop in the rolling 7-day average of cases since the previous peak of 760 on April 22. The rolling 7-day average has gone up every day since then, culminating in a daily average of 1,682 on June 22, which is the last day that falls outside of the 14-day window, about which the Georgia DPH says, "Confirmed cases over the last 14 days may not be accounted for due to illnesses yet to be reported or test results may still be pending".

On May 25, the rolling 7-day average for daily Covid deaths in Georgia was 26. The rolling 7-day average has gone down steadily since then, culminating in a daily average of 15 on June 22.

I know deaths are a lagging indicator for Covid, but exactly how lagging are they? May 25 was 6 weeks ago. We have 4 full weeks of data since then. In those 4 weeks, cases have increased 183%, while deaths have fallen by 73%. I mean, I wish cases weren't going up like they are, but I also think there are a number of reasons why that was inevitable. But as long as deaths keep going down, isn't that a positive that should also be focused on? Why does it now all of a sudden have to be all about the cases?

Because otherwise we kick fear's ass to the curb and get back to living our lives as we see fit..There might just might be a faction of folks in this country who don't want that.

No they changed who they count, now if I talked to you ,you will be added to positive number count. Not sure if it should be that way but it is now as of the last few weeks. An example form a county in Texas showed they had 4 cases the next week if this was reported the number would be 17 not because of a positive test but because of exposure to the positive test. That is the reason number jumped up overnight even in states that was locked down like Cal. NY, but they show open states as a problem. It’s all about fear this will change the election. As soon as Trump is not President it will be over.

My wife & I believe in preventive maintenance in general. Eat right. Get reasonable levels of exercise. Most importantly find a realistic physical activity for YOURSELF. Get vaccinations/treatments as your doctor and your own thoughtful intuition suggests.

No requirement for the “look at me and my latest machines, gadgets & outfits” or “hard sell” miracle cures on TV ads (including latest vitamin BS and latest prescription snake oil with really scary “may cause” side effects. None.

Just walk or swim or a few basic floor exercises at home. Stretching properly & regularly is key. No need for gym memberships unless you need that for social interaction. It’s not that hard to choose healthy options over “probably not healthy” picks.

And most importantly, none of our tendencies for herd mentality or our tribal nature is worth losing or even damaging personal relationships with friends & family. That only makes us easier marks for whatever the marketing & political & entertainment masters want us to do. Heart & soul and logic & reason are great places to seek functional & sustainable cures for what alternately ails us, whether social, spiritual or physical.

Last edited:
Reactions: anon_03j5dr7l9qs90
My wife & I believe in preventive maintenance in general. Eat right. Get reasonable levels of exercise. Most importantly find yourself a realistic physical activity for yourself. Get vaccinated as your doctor or your own thoughtful intuition suggests.

No requirement for the “look at me and my latest machines, gadgets & outfits” or “hard sell” miracle cures on TV ads (including latest vitamin BS and latest prescription snake oil with really scary “may cause” side effects. None.

Just walk or swim or a few basic floor exercises at home. Stretching properly & regularly is key. No need for gym memberships unless you need that for social interaction. It’s not that hard to choose healthy options over “probably not healthy” picks.

And most importantly, none of our tendencies for herd mentality or our tribal nature is worth losing or even damaging personal relationships with friends & family. That only makes us easier marks for whatever the marketing & political & entertainment masters want us to do. Heart & soul and logic & reason are great places to seek functional & sustainable cures for what alternately ails us, whether social, spiritual or physical.
Yup. Normal things that normal people do to not die.

Reactions: Boost Assendahm
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT