ADVERTISEMENT

NonDawg I admit I'm massively out of touch regardling Taylor Swift...

I disagree on this point as it relates to Swift given she's so involved in the writing process. Whether you like her songs or not, they're mostly well-written and speak to a massive audience. That audience would have been there in 1960, too.
Taylor Swift has the teenage girls market sewed up. That’s her mo

I see this happening as well..

Regarding Swift. I've never really been a fan, however I took my two daughters to see her last year. Ticket prices shocked me, but Ieft feeling like that was as good of a live event as I've ever been to. Incredible energy. I can't hate her.
My 30 yr old daughter, who has excellent taste in music, loves Taylor. Also loves Kasey Musgraves and the Beatles. I don't dislike Taylor. I just haven't really tried to listen to her. Raised my son and daughter on the Beatles and classic rock. My daughter still remembers, and loves, "talent show"(Replacements) and "Check it Out"(Mellencamp), from the days when I took her to school in first grade. My son has a more advanced musical repertoire and turns me on to stuff these days. My taste is basically classic rock and folk rock/acoustic stuff these days.

Yeah she’s got the 13-35 demographic wrapped up
My 43 year old sister got a large gift bag (with Taylor swift on it of course) full of at least 15 magazines that had Taylor swift on the cover for Christmas from her husband this year.

She opened it in front of our whole family and just cackled with glee. My dad’s facial expression will forever be indelible in the hippocampus.

I realized at that moment this thing isn’t going anywhere for a while.

I have no strong feelings about her music one way or the other. The recent music cowritten with Aaron and Bryce Dessner from The National was a bit of a change up for her, but I still wouldn’t add it to my rotation.

Interestingly, my twelve year old daughter, who plays the piano and is certainly in the perfect demo to be a swifty, shares my feelings on the subject.

Having said all that, I am greatly enjoying the degree to which she upsets a very vocal subset of the population.

It is hilarious. The problem with the culture wars is they never end, which means when you decide to enlist as a foot solider, you're doing so until you die.
This is a perfect representation of those people...

There have been studies done over the years that in a summarized version say that your musical taste/preference is formed in your mid teens to early 20s and, EVERY GENERATION, will say the music from that time period in their life is their favorite/the best/etc. It's the music you'll always gravitate to. Now, some people will continue to listen to newer music and their styles/tastes will change over time, but the vast majority of people will still revert back to their musical formative years.

I'm 52. I grew up on 96 Rock and 99x in Atlanta. I found singer-songwriter/americana music in my late hs/early college years. I think I have a fairly broad taste in music. I think my playlist is a great mix of music. I know that not everyone likes "my music". I am not a fan of rap. I am not a fan of pop. Living in Nashville, I've come to appreciate a very small amount of country, but, for the most part, don't like it at all. However, I can appreciate the music that other people like and different styles. I don't like the same music friends of mine like that are 5-10 years younger than me because they developed their musical taste when rap was becoming more mainstream or they prefer more pop styles than I do. WIthout looking, of the 50 most popular songs on Spotify today, I'd say there's less than 3 that I'd know or want to listen to (probably Zach Bryan, Noah Kahan if they make the top 50 right now). I do wish there was a resurgence in rock that was more mainstream, but those groups are few and far between.

Now, get of my lawn with that crappy music....

I disagree on this point as it relates to Swift given she's so involved in the writing process. Whether you like her songs or not, they're mostly well-written and speak to a massive audience. That audience would have been there in 1960, too.
100%
as a person who has written music for a very long time and worked in Nashville with hit writers, I can tell you her songwriting ability (regardless of subject matter) is off the charts good.

Reactions: HuskerDawg1005
So very true. Some of us from earlier eras are afraid to be the old man yelling at the sky and fall into the trap that "my particular era is the only music." But it does seem like the sheer craft of song writing, that once came from the stage early in the twentieth century, then from the Brill Building with folks like Carole King and other geniuses, then of course the Beatles, is pretty much dead. The best songwriters often didn't perform at all, and the best lyricists wrote no notes. Just a whole lot of genius around in the sixties and seventies, and so much of that stuff still sounds good. Maybe the current music will, too. But I know a lot of folks who are millennial and later who really love old music.

There have been studies done over the years that in a summarized version say that your musical taste/preference is formed in your mid teens to early 20s and, EVERY GENERATION, will say the music from that time period in their life is their favorite/the best/etc. It's the music you'll always gravitate to. Now, some people will continue to listen to newer music and their styles/tastes will change over time, but the vast majority of people will still revert back to their musical formative years.

I'm 52. I grew up on 96 Rock and 99x in Atlanta. I found singer-songwriter/americana music in my late hs/early college years. I think I have a fairly broad taste in music. I think my playlist is a great mix of music. I know that not everyone likes "my music". I am not a fan of rap. I am not a fan of pop. Living in Nashville, I've come to appreciate a very small amount of country, but, for the most part, don't like it at all. However, I can appreciate the music that other people like and different styles. I don't like the same music friends of mine like that are 5-10 years younger than me because they developed their musical taste when rap was becoming more mainstream or they prefer more pop styles than I do. WIthout looking, of the 50 most popular songs on Spotify today, I'd say there's less than 3 that I'd know or want to listen to (probably Zach Bryan, Noah Kahan if they make the top 50 right now). I do wish there was a resurgence in rock that was more mainstream, but those groups are few and far between.

Now, get of my lawn with that crappy music....
Came of age in the 60s and still think the 66-72 era--from Revolver to the beginning of the Eagles--might be the best of all time for recorded popular music.

But I also like some of the 90s rock, and lately I've listened to some 40s big band music and enjoyed it.

Luv my XM radio.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT