ADVERTISEMENT

Mark Richt's testimony...

Amazing. Same pamphlet response every time. Its like a mantra from Vacation Bible School -'we're the ones being logical', 'we're the ones who know history and evolutionary biology, and paleontology, and quantum physics.....though those things are just diversions created by Satan, of course'. Its a cult but you've been raised in it, its your culture and no amount of education, no amount of life experience will shake that brainwashing. No, no Christians 'harmed' me, and no one from any of the other of the world's dominant superstitions did either. I just outgrew it.

If you outgrew it, you're immaturity shriveled with your aging. You are the one who came on here with an antagonistic post.

Antagonistic. Really. Your persecution complex is showing, chief.
You don't find addressing someone as "chief" antagonistic? I find it both antagonistic and a slur which is impolite to indigenous peoples. You know, the ones who crawled out of the oceans and grew legs and arms and felt superior to all other species, so they became scientists?

You don't find addressing someone as "chief" antagonistic? I find it both antagonistic and a slur which is impolite to indigenous peoples. You know, the ones who crawled out of the oceans and grew legs and arms and felt superior to all other species, so they became scientists?
Life's hard for you, isn't it, being besieged on all sides? I recommend yoga.

You really lack maturity don't you. What was your original response to Hack? Pure antagonism. No respect. Pretty typical though.

Good luck to you. Go Dawgs!
No, I lack patience. But you're right on the respect part; that went away when religion became a political tool.

Life's hard for you, isn't it, being besieged on all sides? I recommend yoga.
Haha, I'll bet you do. I'm not going to talk to you anymore, but I'd like to say I find you a despicable and miserable sounding person, intolerant and without humor or faith. Best of luck with the atheism. You better hope you're right.

Haha, I'll bet you do. I'm not going to talk to you anymore, but I'd like to say I find you a despicable and miserable sounding person, intolerant and without humor or faith. Best of luck with the atheism. You better hope you're right.
How......antagonistic. Most folks get that way when their superstitions are challenged. I hear self-flagellation is popular amongst those who find yoga un-Christian.

No, I lack patience. But you're right on the respect part; that went away when religion became a political tool.
Mankind uses everything as a political tool.
Here's hoping you never live in a predominantly Muslim country, because they wouldn't tolerate your view... and make no mistake, their actual goal is to control the whole world.

Mankind uses everything as a political tool.
Here's hoping you never live in a predominantly Muslim country, because they wouldn't tolerate your view... and make no mistake, their actual goal is to control the whole world.
Yeah, don't you hate it when religious zealots try to tell everyone how to live their lives, based on nonsense?

that is where the freewill comes in. we all have the moral compass. where did that come from?
EVERYTHING and ALL the answers are in God's words to us. The BIBLE.....
Or the Quran, or the Bhagavad Gita, or the Talmud, or Tao Te Ching, or The Upanishads, or The Vedas, and on, and on,because all are equal, right, all are true. Right?

Or the Quran, or the Bhagavad Gita, or the Talmud, or Tao Te Ching, or The Upanishads, or The Vedas, and on, and on,because all are equal, right, all are true. Right?
No. Not true. There is only 1 true God. The Father of all. Not a cow or a tree or the sun. God made all of that. anyway, I am not here to debate you. Just wanted to share my thoughts and beliefs. It is your freewill to do whatever you choose. BUT, know that belief will end in an eternally grim fashion.
take care

No. Not true. There is only 1 true God. The Father of all. Not a cow or a tree or the sun. God made all of that. anyway, I am not here to debate you. Just wanted to share my thoughts and beliefs. It is your freewill to do whatever you choose. BUT, know that belief will end in an eternally grim fashion.
take care
Because the culture to which you were born tells you so. Regionally-flavored delusions are still delusions.

Because the culture to which you were born tells you so. Regionally-flavored delusions are still delusions.
Not necessarily... millions have come to Christ who aren't in Christian countries. They simply open their eyes to the truth... just as the Apostles did.

Reactions: deadduckdawg
Not necessarily... millions have come to Christ who aren't in Christian countries. They simply open their eyes to the truth... just as the Apostles did.
Well, grifters need suckers and there's never been a bigger grift than selling eternal life. But that doesn't change the fact that you, personally, are a Christian and not a, say, Buddhist, because of where and when and by whom you were raised.

Well, grifters need suckers and there's never been a bigger grift than selling eternal life. But that doesn't change the fact that you, personally, are a Christian and not a, say, Buddhist, because of where and when and by whom you were raised.
Now you're presuming a lot about me because of my current beliefs. I did not grow up in a Christian environment... so you're wrong.

Now you're presuming a lot about me because of my current beliefs. I did not grow up in a Christian environment... so you're wrong.
You grew up in a overwhelmingly Christian culture. The odds of you deciding to be a Buddhist or a Sikh are slim. Not because of the tenets of the faith but because of herd mentality, a desire to conform.

You grew up in a overwhelmingly Christian culture. The odds of you deciding to be a Buddhist or a Sikh are slim. Not because of the tenets of the faith but because of herd mentality, a desire to conform.
But I had no desire to conform. I have issues with many churches today, but I also recognize this is an issue with mankind, not an issue with God. I do, however, have an insatiable desire to be closer to Christ.

But I had no desire to conform. I have issues with many churches today, but I also recognize this is an issue with mankind, not an issue with God. I do, however, have an insatiable desire to be closer to Christ.
Because culturally you've been conditioned to believe that's what a 'good man' does, that faith is the greatest attribute....as long as its faith in something culturally acceptable, of course. Its how societies have maintained order; by taking the rules of behavior that are most beneficial to society as a whole, at that time, and codifying them, with the imprimatur of a supreme being that holds your eternal soul ransom. So, the world's oldest con.

Because culturally you've been conditioned to believe that's what a 'good man' does, that faith is the greatest attribute....as long as its faith in something culturally acceptable, of course. Its how societies have maintained order; by taking the rules of behavior that are most beneficial to society as a whole, at that time, and codifying them, with the imprimatur of a supreme being that holds your eternal soul ransom. So, the world's oldest con.

You're in California. I could throw all kinds of social conditioning jokes about that state... And yes, I can laugh at cultural jokes about the South.

As far as selling the afterlife and doing what a good man does. That's not what Christianity is. Christianity is acknowledging that every single one of us has either a little wrong or a lot wrong. Either way, we're all wrong. God, through his Son, took our punishment for us. He did it out of love. THAT compels me to love Him. Whatever is after this life doesn't matter. Because of that, we should be compelled out of love for Him to love others. Not rewards. Are we perfect at it? Nope. Sometimes we still have that desire to knock the living daylights out of someone... I hope I'm getting better at it though. And a major difference between Christianity and other religions is there is nothing physically we can do to "earn our way to heaven" the way that other religions teach.

Have I been "socially conditioned". According to you, my background says yes. But my experiences through life and experiencing other cultures, studying other religions, and searching for truth makes my "social conditioning" irrelevant. Not bragging, but I've risked my life for others of differing religions because they are no different than me. We are all created equal.

Now, do I expect to win you over. Nope. Not trying. I can't do that. Get you to open and question? Hopefully. That's a good thing right? I don't fault those that live by "because the Bible tells me so". I personally believe that the more you question and look at reasoning with science, there's even more compelling reasons to love God.

A good evening to you. Time to go weep since we lost Arik to LSU :(

You're in California. I could throw all kinds of social conditioning jokes about that state... And yes, I can laugh at cultural jokes about the South.

As far as selling the afterlife and doing what a good man does. That's not what Christianity is. Christianity is acknowledging that every single one of us has either a little wrong or a lot wrong. Either way, we're all wrong. God, through his Son, took our punishment for us. He did it out of love. THAT compels me to love Him. Whatever is after this life doesn't matter. Because of that, we should be compelled out of love for Him to love others. Not rewards. Are we perfect at it? Nope. Sometimes we still have that desire to knock the living daylights out of someone... I hope I'm getting better at it though. And a major difference between Christianity and other religions is there is nothing physically we can do to "earn our way to heaven" the way that other religions teach.

Have I been "socially conditioned". According to you, my background says yes. But my experiences through life and experiencing other cultures, studying other religions, and searching for truth makes my "social conditioning" irrelevant. Not bragging, but I've risked my life for others of differing religions because they are no different than me. We are all created equal.

Now, do I expect to win you over. Nope. Not trying. I can't do that. Get you to open and question? Hopefully. That's a good thing right? I don't fault those that live by "because the Bible tells me so". I personally believe that the more you question and look at reasoning with science, there's even more compelling reasons to love God.

I was 'conditioned' in the same environment you were; it just didn't take. The rest of your post is just adherence to the dogma, the story that you accept with no proof, in defiance of logic. You're not searching for 'truth'; you're seeking reassurance that death is not the end. I've got some unsettling news for you....

I was 'conditioned' in the same environment you were; it just didn't take. The rest of your post is just adherence to the dogma, the story that you accept with no proof, in defiance of logic. You're not searching for 'truth'; you're seeking reassurance that death is not the end. I've got some unsettling news for you....
Actually, it sounds like you're trying to convince yourself brother.

Reactions: deadduckdawg

So God created us bound for hell ( a place he also created ),because he loves us?

There's actually a lot of proof. And logic galore. I once met a Chinese med student who came to the U.S. to study medicine. After learning about the intricacies of cellular development and DNA, he came to the conclusion that we were designed. Then he looked at religions. Science drove him to learn about God. But he was raised culturally and taught that there is no God....

And if what you are saying is truth, then there's nothing unsettling. Nothing. If what I'm saying is truth, then the unsettling part lays on you.

There's actually a lot of proof. And logic galore. I once met a Chinese med student who came to the U.S. to study medicine. After learning about the intricacies of cellular development and DNA, he came to the conclusion that we were designed. Then he looked at religions. Science drove him to learn about God. But he was raised culturally and taught that there is no God....

And if what you are saying is truth, then there's nothing unsettling. Nothing. If what I'm saying is truth, then the unsettling part lays on you.
Cripes. So, let me get this straight: this 'med student' made the decision that we, and, I'm assuming a Triceratops as well, were designed .....on the basis that the machinery was too complex to have evolved over the millenia (or 6,000 years, whichever suits you)? Because med students are so very well versed in evolutionary biology? Remind me to avoid that, I'm assuming, now physician.

Sorry, got distracted by the tale of the Chinese med student: you say there is proof of, what, a diety? This isn't along the lines of 'too complex for evolution' or 'can't get something from nothing' is it, because that would be disappointing...

Sorry, got distracted by the tale of the Chinese med student: you say there is proof of, what, a diety? This isn't along the lines of 'too complex for evolution' or 'can't get something from nothing' is it, because that would be disappointing...

You didn't get distracted. You continued your desire to attack.

Yes, proof. Are you willing to admit that faith is required to a point for either choice (religion/atheism)?

So, you made a statement and then asked if you are right; which is to say you do not know but you hope you are. Since we Christians must "judge not lest we be judged", I cannot judge whether those other books you mentioned are from the knowledge of God. All I can say for sure is that the Bible is.
Christians are closed off from other paths because we are supposed to be. What we know without any doubt is that we are saved through and by Jesus Christ. He was sent so that we might find the Father.
Maybe that's what, "other sheep which are not of this fold" means. That's above my pay grade. And BTW, it's above your's too.
What I realized in seeing this same argument many times before is this. I feel a whole lot better knowing for sure that one thing is true than hoping a whole bunch of stuff is and not really knowing whether anything is at all.
I remember being there. Thank God I don't have to go back.

I have NO way to KNOW ifthere is an afterlife. I treat people with respect because its the right thing to do. I was raised in a Babtist church, and have no problem with people who believe the Bible is the word of God. If you visit a children's cancer ward, the "all loving" stuff gets harder to believe. Even if you say one gets "healed", well who give them cancer to start with? By the way, if God can cure cancer, shurly he could regrow a limb on an amputee.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT