ADVERTISEMENT

NonDawg One of the Venter’s daughter wrote

This may be beyond your comprehension, but intelligent people can view the same issue and come to different conclusions. There’s no need for you to be an asshole. She’s an incredibly talented writer and a wonderful representative of the University of Georgia.

I don’t necessarily agree 100% with the piece but it is heavily sourced and well written.

I think both of you just went a little to far.:rolleyes:

Very well written article. There has always been a balance between public health and preserving the economy. I'm not blaming Kemp as I recognize the value of both. Two businesses right next door to me have gone out of business after this started.

The days are pretty dead up here right now too! But you won't find me in Manhattan these days. I'm hunkered down at home in Brooklyn.

Ahhhhh, I went with the "Lower East Side" reference when the answer was right there in your profile. Ugh. Where in Brooklyn?

Amanda Mull. She should be publicly shamed along with her family for such drivel
Shes a funny person and a good follow on Twitter. I disagree with her on this , and The Atlantic is run by a bunch of commies, but otherwise Im fine w it. I dont understand this constant mania about hospital beds. There are 3 hospitals here where I live and right now they are all laying folks off. They are completely empty.

Got to the lie about over whelming hospitals.never happened. I have three relatives that are RN’s, one in Albany ,in Americus, Macon. All are tired of having to wear all the equipment, but they are not over whelmed. So why read someone’s slanted opinion. Let her report on the General Flynn frame up by our government This suggested article type will never appear this publication.
Same here in Augusta

Reactions: rocky comfort dawg
Ahhhhh, I went with the "Lower East Side" reference when the answer was right there in your profile. Ugh. Where in Brooklyn?

I was living on the Lower East Side way back when I opened this account. My wife and I moved to the Kensington neighborhood of Brooklyn in 2008 and been here since. Still work in the Flatiron neighborhood of Manhattan, but haven't been there since March 12 and don't expect to until June.

Reactions: UGA86
I was living on the Lower East Side way back when I opened this account. My wife and I moved to the Kensington neighborhood of Brooklyn in 2008 and been here since. Still work in the Flatiron neighborhood of Manhattan, but haven't been there since March 12 and don't expect to until June.

Right up against Flatbush................:)

Jesus - “For weeks, Americans have watched the coronavirus sweep from city to city, overwhelming hospitals, traumatizing health-care workers, and leaving tens of thousands of bodies in makeshift morgues.”

Unbelievable. This vicious monster is going from city to city devouring everyone in its path, millions & millions of people have been lost....or back here in reality, over 50% of the deaths are in 3 states (NY, NJ, Mass) & the rest of the 47 states in the union haven't had anything even close to that.
Hospitals across America are so overwhelmed that nurses have only been able to make 1 or 2 Tik Tok videos a day of them dancing in the hallways.

Last edited:
F-ing human sacrifice. LOL.
All I needed to see was the opening comments "The state is about to find out how many people need to lose their lives to shore up the economy" to see that it's nothing but emotional panic driven bulls--t like everything else is in today's media & society. Emotions rule over everything, common sense & rational thought have no place in America's discourse anymore.
So, she considers her hyperbole "Common sense and rational"? Ironically, she is the one using emotion to push her ideological view. The Atlantic stopped being a legit news source years ago.

So, she considers her hyperbole "Common sense and rational"? Ironically, she is the one using emotion to push her ideological view. The Atlantic stopped being a legit news source years ago.
There's nothing "ideological" about calling someone out on their blatant idiocy. What kind of governor decides to open up an entire state during a pandemic, and not have ONE meeting or ONE phone call with a city mayor across the entire state outlining his intentions. C'mon, he's an idiot...you know it, you just don't want to be mocked by the other idiots.

Very well written article. There has always been a balance between public health and preserving the economy. I'm not blaming Kemp as I recognize the value of both. Two businesses right next door to me have gone out of business after this started.
What bothers me is the Government can use a public health crisis to gain complete control of our lives. Given the facts that we know the death rates or over stated. Given the fact that our immune system maybe effective way to end this virus with some help from zinc. Some of immune Doctors I have listed to are irate over how this pandemic has been handle. I guess opinions are tongues everybody has one

Unbelievable. This vicious monster is going from city to city devouring everyone in its path, millions & millions of people have been lost....or back here in reality, over 50% of the deaths are in 3 states (NY, NJ, Mass) & the rest of the 47 states in the union haven't had anything even close to that.
Hospitals across America are so overwhelmed that nurses have only been able to make 1 or 2 Tik Tok videos a day of them dancing in the hallways.
Yeah, unfortunately it was classic fear mongering with “testing” thrown in and a total misconception of that opening up means - it isn’t a mandate to open but for the most part puts people in no different position than they were in while quarantining except they now have the right to operate their business if they so choose.

Yeah, unfortunately it was classic fear mongering with “testing” thrown in and a total misconception of that opening up means - it isn’t a mandate to open but for the most part puts people in no different position than they were in while quarantining except they now have the right to operate their business if they so choose.

No, it's human sacrifice. Wake up bro.

I think most of you are just intimidated by a smart woman. Shouldn't most of you be out flaunting your 'freedom' by getting your hair and nails done?

Reactions: jewhammer13
F-ing human sacrifice. LOL.
All I needed to see was the opening comment "The state is about to find out how many people need to lose their lives to shore up the economy" to see that it's nothing but emotional panic driven bulls--t like everything else is in today's media & society. Emotions rule over everything, common sense & rational thought have no place in America's discourse anymore.
Yeah, it's like people are injecting disinfectants or something!

Reactions: rectomo
No, it's human sacrifice. Wake up bro.
Yep - but shutting down our society until we have a vaccine won’t result in any deaths.

Just imagine the long term damage from a lack of screenings for cancer and other illnesses over the last 2 months. And people would advocate that continue for another 6 months to a year. What about the malnutrition, disease that is created by unemployment? What about the hospitals that will go bankrupt as result and the lack of availability of health care following the infinite quarantine? What about the run on healthcare when they deem it appropriate to resume life a year from now? How many people will die?

BTW, she lives in Brooklyn yet writing about how bad things are in Georgia.

YET, the NY subway has been chugging along spreading the virus everywhere without stop. They are actually cleaning them for the first time tonight.

She should look at the death rates for the MTA workers.

What bothers me is the Government can use a public health crisis to gain complete control of our lives. Given the facts that we know the death rates or over stated. Given the fact that our immune system maybe effective way to end this virus with some help from zinc. Some of immune Doctors I have listed to are irate over how this pandemic has been handle. I guess opinions are tongues everybody has one

1- The government does not have "complete control" of anyone's life.

2- If the death is rate is lower that some feared weeks ago, it's because the lockdown has worked. It has slowed the spread of the virus so that hospitals can cope with it.

3- If all you needed was zinc to protect yourself against COVID-19, we'd be living in a very different world.

This virus has killed at least 61,000 Americans in seven weeks despite the most extreme lockdown in American history. Yes, New York City has accounted for a big chunk of that because the population density up here is nearly 27,000 people per square mile. It's a different challenge in Georgia, but the lockdown has surely helped there too.

The only issue to debate is whether the coast is clear for reopening. People with open minds can debate that question without personal insults against those who disagree.

There's nothing "ideological" about calling someone out on their blatant idiocy. What kind of governor decides to open up an entire state during a pandemic, and not have ONE meeting or ONE phone call with a city mayor across the entire state outlining his intentions. C'mon, he's an idiot...you know it, you just don't want to be mocked by the other idiots.
tenor.gif

More emotion couched as rational thought.

One is a sourced, researched opinion piece that uses hyperbole to get a point of disagreement with public policy across.

That is called sensationalism and it's probably the last thing needed in today's debate. I'd say we've seen enough emotionalism and tribalism on display and need less " The aggressive choice “puts much of the state’s working class in an impossible bind: risk death at work, or risk ruining yourself financially at home,” Amanda Mull, who spoke with dozens of local residents for this story, reports.

It's not an impossible choice. We have people that face a far greater risk of death on an average day at work than the risk posed by this virus. The subject is certainly worthy of debate on both sides of the issue. The tone of this piece is worthy of the bottom of a bird cage. However, the family of the author isn't deserving of scorn but the writer and whomever came up with the HL are certainly worthy of criticism.

Great writer, but I disagree with her conclusions and constructs. Hyperbole and anecdotal examples are useful in persuasion, but not in reporting news. There are false qualifiers and opinions presented as facts. If this is an opinion piece, so be it. It is not labeled as editorial but is written as one. I guess that is the whole point of the Atlantic. I am sure the National Review has an opposing piece. Thus we are free to disagree with the author just as we do each other on here and be proud of her as an alum.

I doubt she wrote that headline. That was bad and her editor should apologize for that and the subhead.

2- If the death is rate is lower that some feared weeks ago, it's because the lockdown has worked. It has slowed the spread of the virus so that hospitals can cope with it.

3- If all you needed was zinc to protect yourself against COVID-19, we'd be living in a very different world.

This virus has killed at least 61,000 Americans in seven weeks despite the most extreme lockdown in American history. Yes, New York City has accounted for a big chunk of that because the population density up here is nearly 27,000 people per square mile. It's a different challenge in Georgia, but the lockdown has surely helped there too.

The only issue to debate is whether the coast is clear for reopening. People with open minds can debate that question without personal insults against those who disagree.
The death rate is the percent of people with it who die. It has little to nothing to do with whether there is a quarantine.

the quarantine limits who gets it possibly but has little to no affect on whether you die with it. The reduced death rate just means the “experts” were wrong - again

and the virus hasn’t killed 61,000 as you proclaim. Instead 61,000 have died while having COVID or just presumed to have it. Big difference. In NY over 30% of “Covid deaths” didn’t test positive for COVID. Virtually 90% have a comorbidity (most with more than one) including thousands with cancer, dementia etc.

so it isn’t accurate to say the virus killed 61,000 people. Really not close to accurate as there is a HUGE difference in dying FROM Covid and dying WITH Covid (or we guessed you had Covid).

The death rate estimates from weeks ago was based on social distancing and stay at home orders. They were wrong.

No one knows how many the virus has killed as people are labeled Covid deaths even if no test was performed. If they show signs, Covid death. Notice that pneumonia and influenza related deaths have miraculously plunged since the beginning of March.

What kind of governor decides to open up an entire state during a pandemic, and not have ONE meeting or ONE phone call with a city mayor across the entire state outlining his intentions.

Maybe a governor that has one of the country's leading epidemiologist advising him and puts out guidelines for the mayors to consider. I'm pretty sure the Governor isn't forcing anyone to do anything. He's simply relaxing his order and doesn't need mayoral advise in order to tell mayors they are more free to run their cities.

Having said that, I'm not a Kemp fan and would vote against him if he has a decent primary opponent or a Dem that isn't left of center.

Reactions: stray

Agreed.

I went to get a haircut today. The lady who cuts my hair wore a mask and gloves. I wore a mask. She sanitized everything before I sat down. We took every necessary precaution. While she was cutting my hair, she told me how thankful she was to be back at work. She didn't think she was risking her life by being there. All she knew was that she needed to provide for her family. It's really that simple.

UGA grad or not, I don't really care what a writer for the Atlantic has to say about the state of Georgia and how we operate.

I think Kemp jumped the gun, but to say he “opened up an entire state” is also blatantly inaccurate.

Maybe a governor that has one of the country's leading epidemiologist advising him and puts out guidelines for the mayors to consider. I'm pretty sure the Governor isn't forcing anyone to do anything. He's simply relaxing his order and doesn't need mayoral advise in order to tell mayors they are more free to run their cities.

Having said that, I'm not a Kemp fan and would vote against him if he has a decent primary opponent or a Dem that isn't left of center.
I'm sure you're smarter than this...but who could tell by this response.

The death rate estimates from weeks ago was based on social distancing and stay at home orders. The were wrong.

No one knows how many the virus has killed as people are labeled Covid deaths even if no test was performed. If they show signs, Covid death. Notice that pneumonia and influenza related deaths have miraculously plunged since the beginning of March.

Pneumonia and influenza kill an average of 60,000 people per year. COVID-19 has killed more than 60,000 in seven weeks DESPITE THE LOCKDOWN. And there is still no recognized effective treatment or vaccine.

But while you and I can respectfully disagree about the scale of this problem and the question of reopening bowling alleys, the responses you're getting come from your suggestion that the author of this piece and her family should be publicly shamed. Sorry, that's just childish. And you should be embarrassed for suggesting that.

No, not like that.

One is a sourced, researched opinion piece that uses hyperbole to get a point of disagreement with public policy across. Is it right or helpful or worthwhile? I don’t know, probably for some, but likely not for most.

The other is calling for the public shaming of a person and their family for having a different point of view and expressing it in a way they don’t like. Is that right, or helpful or worthwhile? I just don’t see how it is. Maybe that’s on me.
I don’t disagree with any of that, but I think there are some folks in this thread who are very much into public shaming so long as the content of the article diverges from their view. But when it doesn’t, they suddenly become paragons of open mindedness. Personally, I think you should be able to read things you disagree with without going into shame mode, but that seems to be a significant problem for many on both sides of the political divide.

Pneumonia and influenza kill an average of 60,000 people per year. COVID-19 has killed more than 60,000 in seven weeks DESPITE THE LOCKDOWN. And there is still no recognized effective treatment or vaccine.

But while you and I can respectfully disagree about the scale of this problem and the question of reopening bowling alleys, the responses you're getting come from your suggestion that the author of this piece and her family should be publicly shamed. Sorry, that's just childish. And you should be embarrassed for suggesting that.
You didn’t address why pneumonia and influenza deaths plummeted as soon as Covid supposedly ramped up in the US (early March).

And opinions are like @ssholes, everyones got one

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT