ADVERTISEMENT

Virginia Dems just screwed their state

MassachusettsDawg

Resident Masshole
Gold Member
Jul 26, 2017
Titletown
For those of you out of the loop, the Washington (DC) Wizards and Capitals were looking for a new arena and Governor Youngkin was in talks with Ted Leonsis, the teams' owner, to move to Alexandria. It would've been a MASSIVE economic boom for the state. They even had an agreement in place...pending Senate approval.

Well, in true lib fashion, the Virginia Senate Dems held their nose, stomped their feet, and made sure that deal didn't go through. Now the teams are staying in D.C.

In a statement, the governor expressed disappointment and frustration over the demise of a plan he said would have created $12 billion in economic investment, laying blame with the Democratic-controlled state Legislature.

"This should have been our deal and our opportunity," Youngkin said, adding: "But no, personal and political agendas drove away a deal with no upfront general fund money and no tax increases, that created tens of thousands of new jobs and billions in revenue for Virginia."

For those of you out of the loop, the Washington (DC) Wizards and Capitals were looking for a new arena and Governor Youngkin was in talks with Ted Leonsis, the teams' owner, to move to Alexandria. It would've been a MASSIVE economic boom for the state. They even had an agreement in place...pending Senate approval.

Well, in true lib fashion, the Virginia Senate Dems held their nose, stomped their feet, and made sure that deal didn't go through. Now the teams are staying in D.C.

In a statement, the governor expressed disappointment and frustration over the demise of a plan he said would have created $12 billion in economic investment, laying blame with the Democratic-controlled state Legislature.

"This should have been our deal and our opportunity," Youngkin said, adding: "But no, personal and political agendas drove away a deal with no upfront general fund money and no tax increases, that created tens of thousands of new jobs and billions in revenue for Virginia."

Similar to NYC turning away tens of thousands of jobs from Amazon. Too many politicians are not serious people. Don’t be surprised when these teams and companies continue to leave for States that use common sense.

The private equity world already knows this and invests with their wallets. The sunbelt offers a much more politically favorable situation which is a big reason why more capital is being invested there. It is a zero sum game. Look no further than which States are making progress economically and which ones aren’t. Texas is working for a reason. Zero State taxes and business friendly policies.

Yeah, the locals should pay for a place for a private business to operate. This was the BS sold to Atlanta to pay for Mercedes stadium. It still hasn't worked out.
I can't believe I agree with you on this one.

What Wtf GIF

Yeah, the locals should pay for a place for a private business to operate. This was the BS sold to Atlanta to pay for Mercedes stadium. It still hasn't worked out.
Although your comments are true, that is NOT the reason the Virginia Senate turned it down. They turned it down because it was being pushed by Youngkin. Perhaps the correct decision was made, perhaps not but the reasoning is certainly in question.

Although your comments are true, that is NOT the reason the Virginia Senate turned it down. They turned it down because it was being pushed by Youngkin. Perhaps the correct decision was made, perhaps not but the reasoning is certainly in question.
No it was because of thr cost and the fact that NOVA is already bursting at the seams and people in places like Alexandria didn't want it. Why should the public foot the bill for these professional teams?

"Perhaps the biggest spanner in the works to the deal came in the form of state Senator Louise Lucas, a Democrat from Portsmouth—just south of Norfolk—and the chair of the senate’s finance committee. Lucas, who refused to put the bill on her committee’s docket, became the face of public opposition to the new stadium, which she labeled the “Glenn Dome.” She cited the project’s price tag and financing model, which would be partially paid for using public bonds, as reasons for her disapproval."

Reactions: OriginalGatorHator
No it was because of thr cost and the fact that NOVA is already bursting at the seams and people in places like Alexandria didn't want it. Why should the public foot the bill for these professional teams?

"Perhaps the biggest spanner in the works to the deal came in the form of state Senator Louise Lucas, a Democrat from Portsmouth—just south of Norfolk—and the chair of the senate’s finance committee. Lucas, who refused to put the bill on her committee’s docket, became the face of public opposition to the new stadium, which she labeled the “Glenn Dome.” She cited the project’s price tag and financing model, which would be partially paid for using public bonds, as reasons for her disapproval."

You proved my point, they were calling it the Glenn Dome. Again, I’m skeptical it was a good deal, I’m also equally skeptical the Virginia Senate gave it any serious consideration since it was recommended by Youngkin.

Reactions: MassachusettsDawg
You proved my point, they were calling it the Glenn Dome. Again, I’m skeptical it was a good deal, I’m also equally skeptical the Virginia Senate gave it any serious consideration since it was recommended by Youngkin.
It's a name like Obama care. And these sports Teams asking fans to pay for their stadium has faced backlash for years around the country so this isn't a Dem or Republican issues.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT