ADVERTISEMENT

Why can we not restrict speeds on young people’s cars?

I’d say it’s the swerving in and out of traffic that has me saying wtf! The chances drivers both young and old take just boggles the mind! Usually it’s in the mornings on their way to work (through downtown Atlanta)! Get up earlier helps you to drive safer and slower! Never been a speeder personally! On the interstate I’m typically doing the speed limit or maybe a few miles over!

Kids learn what they're taught, _I F_ , they're taught in the RIGHT WAY.
My wife and I have four kids. Our daughters are 34 and 32. Our sons are 29 and 23. The older three have young families of their own. The 23 year old is in his last semester at UGA. None of them are beyond making a stupid decision, and they have each made a few. Thank God none were life altering. One thing we have consistently done is lovingly drill into them that it only takes one bad decision to destroy your family, friends and future forever and pray they listened. As we have all grown older, I have learned how much they did in being each others’ keeper. They all made a pact with each other that they would give each other a ride any time needed with no questions asked or judgment cast. All parents can do is their best and pray.

It is, but it will never get fixed. I can't even begin to imagine all of the personal liberty and slippery slope arguments that would steam roll anyone trying to pass a law to this effect.
Its not a right to go faster than the speed limit. Young or older it does not matter. IMcommercial vehicles should be governed to 70mph and ALL others 80mph. Zero reason anyone needs to drive over 80.

See trucks in traffic all the time that won’t exceed the limit. Seems like an easy fix.
Looks like you have a business idea that you think would work. Either build a car brand with your target market being parents of young adults/teens, or fashion some kind of rig that would keep cars from going over a certain speed. If you can patent this and license it to major car brands you could make a fortune. However, I think the issue you would run into is speed is not necessary for safety, but acceleration often is. Could you safely merge onto I-75 with this rig?

Reactions: HuntinDawg
Don’t forget to take cars and licenses away from the older demographic as well. They can’t see for damn, hear for damn, drive for damn, and are a hazard on the road to themselves and others.

Watch out for the middle aged folk going through the mid-life crisis as well.

Let's just move on to autonomous driving already- then we can all be safe/happy until the computer screws up for the first time and someone gets hurt there too.

We, as a society, have recognized that kids are too stupid to make their own decisions regarding voting, drinking, gambling, tobacco, guns, etc. Hell, they’re too stupid to drive until their 16. Seems reasonable to place restrictions on their ability to kill themselves and others for a while.
I disagree with much of what you have posted in this thread. However, governors ARE used in certain commercial applications. Many years ago, I used to occasionally rent box trucks to haul samples to trade shows and some of them had governors on them. I have read that the Expedition was owned by the university and rented by the university. I don’t know which is true. I have a hard time believing that we rely on short term rentals for recruiting staff. They must be university owned or long term leases. As such, I think it would be entirely appropriate to install any manner of controls on those vehicles, including governors and more sophisticated monitoring devices, etc.

See trucks in traffic all the time that won’t exceed the limit. Seems like an easy fix.
The Gov’t cannot. But Kirby certainly can. I have no issue with him saying, any UGA player has to register their car and speeds are capped at 80mph. Or even 75. No issue with that. People are dead. As soon as you’re not at UGA, you can take it off.

Let me guess , I need no more than 5 round magazines to defend me and mine either LoL. This thread is gonna get out of hand quick
I wondered how long it would be before the correlation between this argument and the typical BS arguments for gun control were made. Because a lot of the arguments being made in this thread sound identical to the crap being spewed out in favor of stripping me of my Second Amendment rights. Now go ahead and blow this thread up and lock it and claim that it’s now political when it was political the entire time begging for the federal government to do something instead of people having any personal responsibility.

gov control on vehicles is not the option as it will be abused. What needs to change is drivers education which is a complete and total joke in America, it needs to be way more involved way more difficult and more expensive.

Its not a right to go faster than the speed limit. Young or older it does not matter. IMcommercial vehicles should be governed to 70mph and ALL others 80mph. Zero reason anyone needs to drive over 80.
OK granny. Since you've decided that 80 is the absolute max anyone should be allowed to drive then I guess we should go ahead & pass it into law.
Driving on the interstate across the country out in the middle of nowhere & being forced to go below 80 (when the speed limit is 80) is f-ing ridiculous.

This bullshit idea reminds me of years ago when there was a group of like 5-6 guys who did an experiment of "civil obedience" by all driving side by side in every lane going exactly 55mph (which was the speed limit) on I75 through downtown ATL & nobody could go around them. It caused massive traffic & enraged other drivers & pointed out how stupid the 55 mph limit was on the interstate.

This f-ing thread just confirms how much a good portion of the population will so eagerly give up their freedoms to the government/authorities for any little shred of perceived safety & beg the government to "please take care of us because we're not capable of doing it ourselves". Pathetic.

Last edited:
Agreed.

Government limits on car speed. Limits on soda sizes. Mandatory curfew. Limits on internet time. Etc. Etc.

What could go wrong?
The government already limits car speed. Next.

Always shocking to see how many seemingly grown adults fear autonomy and just want the government to tell them what to do, and how to live.
Exactly!

Clapping Applause GIF

OK granny. Since you've decided that 80 is the absolute max anyone should be allowed to drive then I guess we should go ahead & pass it into law.
Driving on the interstate across the country out in the middle of nowhere & being forced to go below 80 (when the speed limit is 80) is f-ing ridiculous.

This bullshit idea reminds me of years ago when there was a group of like 5-6 guys who did an experiment of "civil obedience" by all driving side by side in every lane going exactly 55mph (which was the speed limit) on I75 through downtown ATL & nobody could go around them. It caused massive traffic & enraged other drivers & pointed out how stupid the 55 mph limit was on the interstate.

This f-ing thread just confirms how much a good portion of the population will so eagerly give up their freedoms to the government/authorities for any little shred of perceived safety & beg the government to "please take care of us because we're not capable of doing it ourselves". Pathetic.
well said lol

Reactions: DonutDawg
As a firefighter/paramedic for 30 years I would have no problem with auto makers including governors ran thru the vehicles computer so parents could set the mph/rpm’s…and be parental locked with a code. Seen way too many teenagers die in wrecks because they lack judgement based off of experience.

Reactions: thethr1ll
It is possible. But so is obeying the speed limit. Choices have consequences. You can’t get around that.
Sure. That’s why I generally obey the speed limit. Setting aside the personal responsibility argument, moderating the ability of a teenager to end someone else’s life by making a poor decision seems reasonable. The consequences of their poor decision extend beyond just themselves.

As a firefighter/paramedic for 30 years I would have no problem with auto makers including governors ran thru the vehicles computer so parents could set the mph/rpm’s…and be parental locked with a code. Seen way too many teenagers die in wrecks because they lack judgement based off of experience.
I don’t see why that’s controversial. No government involvement required.

Reactions: Dawg O War
We cant limit speed. I know I would never agree to that. BUT, could we agree to have all cars set on breathalyzers? Or give massive insurance discounts if it does have one? My wife worked in the collision industry for years and there were times they had to call people to come crank their cars because of installed breathalyzers.

I am sure insurance companies would be on board with that.

there is definitely some merit to your suggestion, it’s just it’s a slippery slope. In the mid-2000s BMW rolled out a motorcycle and it debuted at an Ireland tradeshow that ran 221 miles/hour out the box. The industry leaders got together and realized the insanity of this, and now the top speed on motorcycles is an industry agreed on number. Used to be 171. Still plenty to get killed but I salute that way of thinking.

I’d say it’s the swerving in and out of traffic that has me saying wtf! The chances drivers both young and old take just boggles the mind! Usually it’s in the mornings on their way to work (through downtown Atlanta)! Get up earlier helps you to drive safer and slower! Never been a speeder personally! On the interstate I’m typically doing the speed limit or maybe a few miles over!
Just stay in the lanes to the far right, please.

At what age should one be allowed to speed?
The hope is that the individual will grow out of their stupidity. Maybe the same age people are deemed responsible enough to consume alcohol?

The hope is that the individual will grow out of their stupidity. Maybe the same age people are deemed responsible enough to consume alcohol?
Old people also do dumb stuff with alcohol.

They also drive fast.

Being 21 isn’t some magical age where you quit having fun full of risk.

Neither is 31 or 41.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT