ADVERTISEMENT

Time to Head to the Appeals Court

My post wasn’t in response to you, but ok.

Lack of remorse (as well as total net worth) are important factors in determining the appropriateness of a civil judgement like this where the penalty is supposed to act as a deterrent to future similar behavior. Trump essentially decided that his approach to this trial was to publically proclaim, early and often, f&ck this judge, f&ck this DA and f&ck this court. That may play well politically, but it doesn’t show the judge that Trump has any interest in changing his fraudulent behavior, a point he detailed in his judgement. That is in fact highly relevant to what the judge decided.

If this judge has been excessively capricious then Trump should have no problem winning a reduced judgment on appeal.
Problem is in NYC he either needs to pay $35M to effectively guarantee a bond or literally put up the $350 just to get to appeal. The government is literally just taking his money because they hate him.

Reactions: Athens is Heaven
Problem is in NYC he either needs to pay $35M to effectively guarantee a bond or literally put up the $350 just to get to appeal. The government is literally just taking his money because they hate him.
If the judgment is absurd as you say it is, putting up the $35m for the bond seems the right move. Trump’s a billionaire, that shouldn’t be a problem for him.

Since there was no victim in this decision, who gets the money?

Can you find me another example where someone who was absolutely found guilty of fraud over years not only refused to accept any responsibility or agree to organizational changes, he aggressively attacked the judge and prosecutor through out the process. A lack of remorse or contrition and the likelihood of reoffending play a role in determining the penalty size.

As I said elsewhere, Trump has a lifetime of business history that led to everything that’s happening to him this year. $355m may be too large of an award, but Trump is very far from an innocent victim here.

And how do you know this?

If the judgment is absurd as you say it is, putting up the $35m for the bond seems the right move. Trump’s a billionaire, that shouldn’t be a problem for him.
It is a fee. Non refundable. So even clown circus judgements ultimately overturned are costing stupid money. If this was anyone else. Just a private real estate company. No way it would ever happen. Ever.

Reactions: DawglegrightinSC
It is a fee. Non refundable. So even clown circus judgements ultimately overturned are costing stupid money. If this was anyone else. Just a private real estate company. No way it would ever happen. Ever.
Question for you. Do you agree that Trump Org committed financial fraud (as defined by NY state law) across multiple years? Do you agree that DJT has been defiant in his total unwillingness to accept that he or his organization did anything wrong which would also communicate an unwillingness to adhere to the law moving forward?

If so, what do you think an appropriate penalty would be?

Question for you. Do you agree that Trump Org committed financial fraud (as defined by NY state law) across multiple years? Do you agree that DJT has been defiant in his total unwillingness to accept that he or his organization did anything wrong which would also communicate an unwillingness to adhere to the law moving forward?

If so, what do you think an appropriate penalty would be?
No I don’t think he broke any law as applied anywhere towards real estate companies. If he did, you can add hundreds of thousands of even very honest individuals and companies to the get sued by the government line. Trump org did what every real estate company does. Horse trades with lenders / investors on inherently subjective valuations.

Trump’s defiance is an issue sure. But his biggest issue is that he’s the biggest magnet for high profile prosecution of all time. Some of it his doing. But doesn’t make it right.

If he truly were guilty of something routinely prosecuted but a victimless crime, the penalty should be in the hundreds of thousands for a company this size. Not hundreds of millions. The goal here was headlines and the chance at taking down a whale. Not legit deterrence or law enforcement.

I actually think a legit analogy would be to arrest you for jaywalking. And because technically by jaywalking it is possible you could have killed someone, slamming you for damages equal to a wrongful death suit. All of your liquid net worth. Hey - it’s the law! Did you not break it?

Pick a different battle. Or ask a very successful liberal businessman how he feels about this circus of a judgement.

That answer your questions?

No I don’t think he broke any law as applied anywhere towards real estate companies. If he did, you can add hundreds of thousands of even very honest individuals and companies to the get sued by the government line. Trump org did what every real estate company does. Horse trades with lenders / investors on inherently subjective valuations.

Trump’s defiance is an issue sure. But his biggest issue is that he’s the biggest magnet for high profile prosecution of all time. Some of it his doing. But doesn’t make it right.

If he truly were guilty of something routinely prosecuted but a victimless crime, the penalty should be in the hundreds of thousands for a company this size. Not hundreds of millions. The goal here was headlines and the chance at taking down a whale. Not legit deterrence or law enforcement.

I actually think a legit analogy would be to arrest you for jaywalking. And because technically by jaywalking it is possible you could have killed someone, slamming you for damages equal to a wrongful death suit. All of your liquid net worth. Hey - it’s the law! Did you not break it?

Pick a different battle. Or ask a very successful liberal businessman how he feels about this circus of a judgement.

That answer your questions?
If you have friends in Real Estate who overstated the value of their assets to the same degree as Trump, then they are fraudsters as well.

The problem is not that that he padded values 10-20-30%, which I agree happens every day. He massively misstated the values and the facts of the underlying properties and did it repeatedly. He tripled the size of his NY apartment and misstated the value of Mar-a-Lago by 1000%, at least (it's zoned as a club and can't be developed, something he had to agree to when he bought the property).

He did this to secure better loan terms (covenants and rates) that constitute a direct competitive advantage. It does not matter that he met the advantaged terms that he procured through fraud. It's still against the law.

And part of the reason Trump is a magnet for prosecutions is because he has a history of fraud. Trump University was shut down for fraud. The Trump Foundation was shut down for fraud.

He's been involved in 3500 lawsuits over the years. Even for a builder in NY, that's an extraordinary number of lawsuits.

And sure, being a national politician put a target on his back. That's how it works. Being an amazingly unrepentant a-hole also added to the target on his back, which is also entirely predictable.

If Trump hadn't committed significant fraud over the years, he wouldn't be dealing with this issue at all. If you have buddies who have done the same, I suggest you advise them to stay away from national politics.

If you have friends in Real Estate who overstated the value of their assets to the same degree as Trump, then they are fraudsters as well.

The problem is not that that he padded values 10-20-30%, which I agree happens every day. He massively misstated the values and the facts of the underlying properties and did it repeatedly. He tripled the size of his NY apartment and misstated the value of Mar-a-Lago by 1000%, at least (it's zoned as a club and can't be developed, something he had to agree to when he bought the property).

He did this to secure better loan terms (covenants and rates) that constitute a direct competitive advantage. It does not matter that he met the advantaged terms that he procured through fraud. It's still against the law.

And part of the reason Trump is a magnet for prosecutions is because he has a history of fraud. Trump University was shut down for fraud. The Trump Foundation was shut down for fraud.

He's been involved in 3500 lawsuits over the years. Even for a builder in NY, that's an extraordinary number of lawsuits.

And sure, being a national politician put a target on his back. That's how it works. Being an amazingly unrepentant a-hole also added to the target on his back, which is also entirely predictable.

If Trump hadn't committed significant fraud over the years, he wouldn't be dealing with this issue at all. If you have buddies who have done the same, I suggest you advise them to stay away from national politics.
We can add to our Trump v Biden bet. I bet that trump org ends up paying somewhere between 0 and 10 percent of the awarded judgement as a result of a legal appeal, thus exposing the circus nature of this judgement and their rationale.

Reactions: DawglegrightinSC
We can add to our Trump v Biden bet. I bet that trump org ends up paying somewhere between 0 and 10 percent of the awarded judgement as a result of a legal appeal, thus exposing the circus nature of this judgement and their rationale.
So, you are wagering the fine will be reduced to no more than $35.5m? Give me time to review Engoran's actual judgement and I'll get back to you.

It goes to the NY State Treasury, just as the majority of civil fines won by the SEC go to the US Treasury.
How convenient…NYC and NY are going to need all the money they can get with the current and future mass exodus of businesses and billionaires from both the city and the state …replacing them with illegal migrants flooding NYC streets is probably not the way to go (self-proclaimed sanctuary city)

Wait a MINUTE.
New York Governor Kathy Hochul has told other New York business owners they have "nothing to worry about" & will not be targeted by her attorney general's office"

That right there proves it’s all a freaking witch hunt.
It is a freaking illegal government takeover of wealth. plain and simple.

Looks like a little stumbling block for Trump on his way to appealing. Doesn't seem to have the money and tried to get away with $100M bond and got quickly slapped down. However, he now gets an appeal to that before five appellate court judges so the saga continues.

So maybe he lied about how much money he has - what's one more lie. In his deposition for this case last year he seemed to say he would have enough cash.

Reactions: nice marmot
I know some of you thought it was funny when I asked where Trump is going to get the money for his appeal. It doesn't seem as funny now. I know your opinion on the case, but this highlights the situation Trump is in and it's only going to get worse.

I know some of you thought it was funny when I asked where Trump is going to get the money for his appeal. It doesn't seem as funny now. I know your opinion on the case, but this highlights the situation Trump is in and it's only going to get worse.

Not many people, maybe none, are sitting on 1/2 billion dollars in cash. It takes time for even a billionaire like Trump to raise that kind of money. Does my calling him a billionaire make your eyelid twitch?

Not many people, maybe none, are sitting on 1/2 billion dollars in cash. It takes time for even a billionaire like Trump to raise that kind of money. Does my calling him a billionaire make your eyelid twitch?
You can call him whatever you want, as long as it's not President. Time is running short for him and it's seems like the banks won't take his real estate as collateral. I'm sure it has nothing to do with his valuations of his property (sarcasm intended).

Reactions: nice marmot
You can call him whatever you want, as long as it's not President. Time is running short for him and it's seems like the banks won't take his real estate as collateral. I'm sure it has nothing to do with his valuations of his property (sarcasm intended).
Stand with Trump!

up to 1.4M$ !

Unfortunately, these tactic’s will be used against all future DNC opponents. If the republicans lose this election - we will be looking at a 1 party system from here on out. Unbelievable that people are blind to this. I am not a Trump fan but I do believe in the USA.

“What doesn’t kill him makes him stronger’.

Reactions: Athens is Heaven
Unfortunately, these tactic’s will be used against all future DNC opponents. If the republicans lose this election - we will be looking at a 1 party system from here on out. Unbelievable that people are blind to this. I am not a Trump fan but I do believe in the USA.
I am not a Trump fan and i do believe in the USA so we have that together. However, I also believe in the law so shouldn't Trump or anyone of either party not be tried for their alleged crimes. The President certainly should not have immunity for things that were not done in the course of their duties. The documents really deal with what happened after he left the White House and trying to interfere with the election is not in the course of his duty. Obviously his responsibility for January 6th is not part of his duty. Looking forward to see if the Supreme Court agrees with all of that.

I’m
Only in the eyes of his supporters. And it might kill him; he certainly appears to be going downhill quicklyt
Not if you check the Vegas odds.

Besides, thinks most think that this lending thing is BS anyway.

No harm done, loan paid back, lending institution made money…….and besides, it’s up to the lender to verify everything that was put on paper. They seem happy.

All unprecedented.

Let the free market B free, government has no business wasting tax payers money on all of this.

I’m

Not if you check the Vegas odds.

Besides, thinks most think that this lending thing is BS anyway.

No harm done, loan paid back, lending institution made money…….and besides, it’s up to the lender to verify everything that was put on paper. They seem happy.

All unprecedented.

Let the free market B free, government has no business wasting tax payers money on all of this.
You sure can't go to Vegas and bet on Trump though.

You are not still trying to push that line of argument are you. That was not relevant to the judge's decision if you bothered reading it. Now if Trump could only find the money to appeal, he might have a chance. But the other cases are much more interesting anyway.

You are not still trying to push that line of argument are you. That was not relevant to the judge's decision if you bothered reading it. Now if Trump could only find the money to appeal, he might have a chance. But the other cases are much more interesting anyway.
Well, you know all lenders will do their due diligence when it comes to money…..especially large amounts.

So if that is the case and there was a law broken…it would seem to me that the lender enabled him.

Where is the lender in all of this???

As far a Vegas goes, do you have a better barometer??

Well, you know all lenders will do their due diligence when it comes to money…..especially large amounts.

So if that is the case and there was a law broken…it would seem to me that the lender enabled him.

Where is the lender in all of this???

As far a Vegas goes, do you have a better barometer??
I think this election as it stands is so unlike any other that there isn't a good barometer right now. Too much could change, but I sure wouldn't be betting on Trump (though he could win).

I think this election as it stands is so unlike any other that there isn't a good barometer right now. Too much could change, but I sure wouldn't be betting on Trump (though he could win).
That sounds more plausible. What I was arguing was this:

he certainly appears to be going downhill quickly”

Odds are he is not going downhill as you say. Hence, the Vegas odds. Again, “what doesn’t kill him makes him stronger”. The party in charge is doing this to themselves.

Unless this puts him away, which I am pretty dang sure it won’t.……he will continue to just pick up steam.

Time is running short for your crumbling stumbling Biden, and you will be addressing Trump as President once again

Reactions: deadduckdawg
Time is running short for your crumbling stumbling Biden, and you will be addressing Trump as President once again
Biden is your President in case you forgot. I want someone else, but it certainly won't be Trump.

You reading that government propaganda again!

Reactions: DTwnDawg
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT