ADVERTISEMENT

NonDawg Guided Bass fishing trip (private lake/pond)

Hey all, rarely post but wanted thoughts from fellow venters who've booked a guided bass fishing trip in the past. My oldest son and I just returned from a full day of bass fishing on a private plantation in South Georgia (below the nat line). Meals, landscape and accommodations were all first class. We caught a descent amount of bass but nothing over 2 pounds. Guide said rain (flooding), cold front, etc had a major impact and the big bass had moved out of their normal spots because of it. I had hoped my son would at least catch a descent sized bass but such is fishing and that's not my major complaint.

My complaint is the guide spent almost 95% of the time fishing himself instead of interacting with my son and I. Is that common for bass fishing guides? I ask because I've been to White River Arkansas on guided trout fishing trips several times and not once did the guide fish. Really had my hopes up as the plantation was located on a large private tract with several lakes/ponds; although, with the flooding a lot of them were not accessible.

Any thoughts here? My son and I also had a blast and I'd love for him to have an opportunity to catch something descent sized so any reccomendations would be welcome. Large lakes (Lanier, etc) would not be out of the question but I booked this particular trip because it was on private land so that would be the preference. Thank you!

The IDES of March are upon us; the College Presidents are looking to kill off their College Emperor the NCAA

The Athletic has a good article up describing the unfolding situation.

The College “Super League” is upon us.
The lauded NCAA war chest is in danger as are all the “arrangements” be they legal, illegal, or actionable.

The Get out of Court Key (aka the death of the cartel) -> “Universities would own a percentage of the league…”

It appears this is the way the College Presidents are choosing to get the shrieking NCAA Golem off their conscience and away from their ‘precious’ money purses.

The Athletic has a good article up describing the unfolding situation.

Reactions: easychair

My beef with political discussions

I have an issue with those who like to dish, but can't take.

On facebook, I posted about the cost of groceries. My exact words were "Something to think about when voting this fall". I didn't mention Biden or Trump.

A family member went on a rant about the one who "has been convicted of rape, locks kids in cages, sells Bibles" etc.

When I responded by asking for her comments about Biden's flaws, she replied, "Bless your heart" then blocked me.

I don't have any patience with those who only want their views to be discussed. Don't start with me, if you don't want to hear from me.

Prayer Request Prayers Needed (Cancer Sucks)(update 4/3/2024)

Hey DawgVent Family,

My family is in need of prayers. We found out this week that my MIL has Stage 3 Pancreatic Cancer. She is the most kindhearted, upbeat, and genuine person I've ever met. Being that, she is not letting anyone know until she starts chemo after Christmas as to "not put a damper on anyone's holiday season."

She beat breast cancer 4 years ago, and as she prepares for another fight, I wanted to ask for some help from our Prayer Warriors on this board. I truly believe in the power of prayer, and with Dawg Nation rallying behind her, I know that a miracle will happen for her.

I would love to print this thread out for her to show her that she is not alone in this fight and that she has so many people praying for her health. If you wouldn't mind leaving her a little comment, I know that it would mean the world to her.

God bless and Go Dawgs!!

Edit 9/21:
Just wanted to give all you amazing prayer warriors an update:

It's been a long journey since I made this post. Many ups and downs, lots of prayer. My MIL had surgery this morning and they were able to completely remove the tumor. God is truly great. Thank you all for your prayers, kind words, and positive vibes. We are so grateful!!

Edit 4/3/24:
Dawgvent prayer warriors,

I come to you all with a heavy heart. Today my MIL, Joan Watkins Church of Monroe, GA departed this life. She passed with her loved ones by her side in her home. We found out in December of 2023 that although the tumor was successfully removed from her pancreas, the cancer had spread to her abdomen and she was given months. This was a woman of steadfast and inspirational faith in the face of not one, not two, but 3 cancer diagnoses. She was filled with joy and praise until her very last breath. Towards the very end all she could say was "I love you," which is just so fitting. We know that this is all in God's plan and that her faithfulness to the end has been an inspiration in how to live for Christ even in the bad times.

I ask you to lift her, our family, and all the people she touched in prayer as a light in our life has gone out.

Call the ones you care about and tell them you love them. If you're lucky enough, wrap them up in a hug. You can never tell them enough.

UPDATE 2024 schedule

2024 Georgia Baseball Schedule

Dates Opponent Times

Feb. 16-18 UNC Asheville 3 pm/3pm/1 pm

Feb. 20 @ Ga. State TBA

Feb. 23-25 Northern Kentucky 3 pm/2pm/1 pm

Feb. 27 Presbyterian 3 pm

Feb. 28 Michigan State 3 pm

March 1 @ Ga. Tech 6 pm

March 2 Ga. Tech 2 pm

March 3 vs. ~Ga. Tech 3 pm

March 5 vs. ^Ga. Southern 6:35 pm

March 6 Stetson 3 pm

March 8-10 Northern Colorado 5 pm/2 pm/1 pm

March 12 Iowa 5 pm

March 15-17 @ *Kentucky TBA

March 19 Wofford 5 pm

March 22-24 *Alabama 6 pm/2 pm/1 pm

March 26 Mercer 5 pm

March 29-31 @ *Tennessee 6:30 pm/6 pm/1 pm

Apr. 2 Ga. State 5 pm

Apr. 5-7 @ *Miss. State TBA

Apr. 9 Kennesaw State 5 pm

Apr. 11-13 *Missouri 6 pm/6 pm/2 pm

Apr. 19-21 *Ole Miss 6 pm/2 pm/1 pm

Apr. 23 Clemson 5 pm

Apr. 26-28 @ *Texas A&M TBA

Apr. 30 @ Kennesaw State TBA

May 3-5 *Vanderbilt 6 pm/2 pm/1 pm

May 10-12 @ *South Carolina TBA

May 16-18 *Florida 6 pm/6pm/ 2 pm

May 21-26 @ SEC Tournament (Hoover, Ala.)

May 31-June 2 NCAA Regionals (Campus Sites)

June 7-10 NCAA Super Regionals (Campus Sites)

June 14-24 College World Series (Omaha, Neb.)

All game times tentative and subject to change; *SEC series; ~Coolray Field, Lawrenceville, Ga.; ^SRP Park, N. Augusta, S.C.

NonDawg Are the Hawks better without Trae Young?

The team is 2nd to last in the NBA in scoring defense, giving up 124.2 PPG to their opponents.

Since Trae has been out with finger surgery, they’ve won their last two games 109-92 and 124-97.

In the 58 games the Hawks have played this season, 92 & 97 are the 1st and 2nd least points allowed by them all year.

I still think Trae can be a winning player on the right team (Spurs should trade for him), but it’s starting to look like this version of the Hawks is not a good fit for him. He needs to be surrounded by defensive minded guards and athletic bigs

Prayer Request Pray for Our Family, Please!

After 101+ years of life, we lost our grandfather. He died peacefully with his three kids sitting by his side, which was really cool. He leaves behind 12 grandkids and a LOT of great-grandkids, too. There are a lot of tears for the younger kids as this is their first time dealing with loss. And, although they know they will see him in Heaven again some day, they are struggling with normal emotions.

Please pray for peace and comfort for the little ones and even us older ones as well. I am really going to miss him!

As an aside, it's really cool to think about what he (and others like him) saw and experienced in his lifetime: the Great Depression, World War II, Civil Rights movements, Vietnam, Korea, the advent of color tv, the internet and mobile phones, etc. It was truly the greatest generation!

Lastly, he flew 35 missions as a bomber in World War II. 27 times he returned to base with holes in his plane. I thank God for his grace and mercy in keeping Granddad alive and protecting the future of our family as we know it today.

Grace and Peace to you all! And thanks for your prayers!

Commitments don't matter anymore...

It sucks to say this, but the work of these recruiting analysts and reporters is moot now. They're just like any other reactionary source. Look at AD Mitchell...you can win a GD Natty and leave for a better deal. You only know a player is performing for your team if you see them on the field for game 1. It is year by year. Kirby has to recruit the kids already here on top of high school kids. People say college corches are overpaid, and they used to be. But not anymore. Sad, but true.

Quick (Positive) Update on Mother-in-Law

Thanks to @Lumpdawg for reminding me I hadn't updated the board in a while on my mother-in-law (who has Stage IV metastatic breast cancer):

By the grace of God, her cancer markers have gone down for three (3) tests in a row, and her tumors actually SHRUNK on the last scan. It has been a miraculous change for the better, and we give God all the glory.

Thanks, as well, to all of you on the Vent who have been praying, checking in and offering your support. You have no idea how much our family has appreciated it! Grace and Peace to you all.

Mike White record/recruiting

2011–12Louisiana Tech18–166–8T–5th
2012–13Louisiana Tech27–716–2T–1stNIT Second Round
2013–14Louisiana Tech29–813–3T–1stNIT Quarterfinals
2014–15Louisiana Tech27–915–31stNIT Quarterfinals
Louisiana Tech:101–40 (.716)50–16 (.758)
2015–16Florida21–159–9T–8thNIT Quarterfinals
2016–17Florida27–914–42ndNCAA Division I Elite Eight
2017–18Florida21–1311–73rdNCAA Division I Round of 32
2018–19Florida20–169–98thNCAA Division I Round of 32
2019–20Florida19–1211–7T–4th
2020–21Florida15–109–75thNCAA Division I Round of 32
2021–22Florida19–139–9T–5th
Florida:142–88 (.617)72–52 (.581)
2022–23Georgia16–166–1211th
2023–24Georgia20–176–12T–11thNIT Semifinals

His Rivals recruiting rankings at Florida from 2018-2021

2018 #12 One 5 star, Two 4 stars
2019 #11 Two 5 stars, One 4 star, Two 3 stars
2020 #41 Two 4 stars, One 3 star
2021 #33 One 5 star, One unranked

So in total Four 5 stars, Three 4 stars, Three 3 stars and one unranked.

That is all after Donovan's players had left or graduated. With his downward slide at Florida, what do people see that gives confidence in his coaching ability?
ADVERTISEMENT

Filter

ADVERTISEMENT