ADVERTISEMENT

NonDawg Active shooter at Appalachee High School

Per a friend of mine on the football staff, the head coach is one of the victims. I'm beyond sickened.

I know you are close to the situation but this is the type of thing we should refrain from posting. This is not the way someone should find out their friend/relative is injured or dead. Until it’s publicly released maybe we shouldn’t post specific victim info.

At least 2 dead 4 injured headline on CNN now.

Last edited:
Regardless of what the self appointed vent police stated, I appreciate any info I can get.
I have a friend who was a first responder there. He said only one shooter. He also said only one fatality. In the interest of passing along all info. He said there will be a press conference soon to clear everything up.

Sheriff's dept just had a press conference that said that they are not releasing any info right now but will have another press conference in a few hours with more info.

Sorry everyone. There are lots of conflicting texts I'm getting from people inside the school. It may be another coach. I'm sorry for reporting. I won't post anything else. I'll just be praying.

A mother interviewed on Ch 2 several minutes ago said that a coach was one of the shot. She also repeated what her son described to her about the shooting wherein she said “them” in describing the shooter(s).

I know that nobody is trying to or able to be extremely precise with language, but “them” stood out to me

I suspect that nobody REALLY knows the full story or full slate of details at the moment.

Reactions: zingerdawg
I have a friend who was a first responder there. He said only one shooter. He also said only one fatality. In the interest of passing along all info. He said there will be a press conference soon to clear everything up.
Crazy all the misinformation. CNN is showing 4 killed right now and at least 30 injured…press conference didnt seem like people were clear yet. Fox news isnt comitting to anything definitive yet on casualties…the 4 pm press conference might yield more.

Last edited:
Crazy all the misinformation. CNN is showing 4 killed right now and at least 30 injured…press conference didnt seem like people were clear yet.

I'm sure law enforcement has a good idea even though they didnt disclose it at the press conference yet. CNN said their info came from a law enforcement official that was briefed on the situation. However, just moments before they said 2 dead and something fewer than 30 injured before changing it to 4 dead and 30 injured with a note saying this is preliminary and subject to change.

Crazy all the misinformation. CNN is showing 4 killed right now and at least 30 injured…press conference didnt seem like people were clear yet.
Social media. I don’t follow every social media platform. But my kids do. The information spread about this is just crazy. They are working on a press conference soon. Thank goodness.

I am not dash reporting this. It is rumor, but last I heard there were three shooters and they haven’t caught all of them. Someone even said there was a rumor they had planned to hit more than one school. Don’t shoot the messenger if I am wrong. Just passing along what I have heard.
Makes sense since there are reports of other schools stepping up security for the day.

Social media. I don’t follow every social media platform. But my kids do. The information spread about this is just crazy. They are working on a press conference soon. Thank goodness.
Well, this comes from Piedmont Hospital. Either two or three have been killed. I think it was a student and a football coach and I think 16 injured.
Authorities believe there was more than one shooter

I know, coaches and teachers and parents of students over there. This makes me very sad and I will be praying for that school and the community.

A mother interviewed on Ch 2 several minutes ago said that a coach was one of the shot. She also repeated what her son described to her about the shooting wherein she said “them” in describing the shooter(s).

I know that nobody is trying to or able to be extremely precise with language, but “them” stood out to me

I suspect that nobody REALLY knows the full story or full slate of details at the moment.
My friend’s son said one of his coaches was shot as well.

There also may have been more than one shooter.

Edit: not confirmed but hearing three shooters.
They also locked down Winder Barrow high school and reports of a shooter on school grounds there this morning too. Kids heard shots and banging on doors. Lots of SWAT and police activity. Source: family member who is a student at WB texting while locked down

Well, because you’re messed up in the head and/or pure evil
"Messed up in the head" can be the result of horrific bullying, having an abusive home life, etc. I'd never defend someone for doing what this person did. Ever. But very few people reach the conclusion to do something like this without first being a victim of trauma themselves.

They also locked down Winder Barrow high school and reports of a shooter on school grounds there this morning too. Kids heard shots and banging on doors. Lots of SWAT and police activity. Source: family member who is a student at WB texting while locked down

I will say the news reported that all other schools went into lockdown but there were no credible reports of incidents at any other Barrow county schools.

Reactions: Jug Tavern Dawg
At least 4 dead, 30 injured is the updated CNN headline

Crazy all the misinformation. CNN is showing 4 killed right now and at least 30 injured…press conference didnt seem like people were clear yet. Fox news isnt comitting to anything definitive yet on casualties…the 4 pm press conference might yield more.
Typical tragedy fog of war confusion, eye witness unreliability, extremely emotionally charged event still unfolding, & countless media & Internet personalities needing to be first rather than be correct

I will say the news reported that all other schools went into lockdown but there were no credible reports of incidents at any other Barrow county schools.
I heard a report that city of atl schools were increasing security for the day. It sounds like the authorities have stumbled on to something disturbing on social media or the suspect told them something about a wider plan.

Channel 2 reporting 4 dead, 1 suspect in custody.

Been retired from teaching near 20 years, but was there when this started, have personally disarmed a student with a loaded pistol. Had a friend who was a world class pistol shooter who brought a pistol in his briefcase everyday once this started because he refused to be a target and would take his chances with anyone coming in shooting.

I heard a report that city of atl schools were increasing security for the day. It sounds like the authorities have stumbled on something disturbing on social media or the suspect told them something about a wider plan.
Can also confirm other schools close by have been on lock down for the remainder of the day with potential for searches as well. Appears this lockdown may extend through the rest of this week for other schools based on the tea leaves and having lived through a threat during my time in HS.

I heard a report that city of atl schools were increasing security for the day. It sounds like the authorities have stumbled on something disturbing on social media or the suspect told them something about a wider plan.
No that's just standard procedure when something like this happens in the area. You do it just in case there's a copycat out there and also to make parents at other schools feel safer, and it prevents parents from rushing to schools to pick up their kids. UGA was supposed to do a test of UGA Alert today but canceled it because of this.

I heard a report that city of atl schools were increasing security for the day. It sounds like the authorities have stumbled on to something disturbing on social media or the suspect told them something about a wider plan.

This is actually not unusual... my wife teaches and a few years back I forget what the specific incident was, but a school in northeast Georgia went on lockdown and I cant remember the outcome... certainly not anything as big as this obviously or we'd all remember... But she was telling me then that a deputy showed up at their school and stayed there all day with the school on alert even though they were an elementary school 50 miles away from the school where the incident occurred which also happened to be a high school.

So I think they just beef up things everywhere due to the standard "abundance of caution".

This is actually not unusual... my wife teaches and a few years back I forget what the specific incident was, but a school in northeast Georgia went on lockdown and I cant remember the outcome... certainly not anything as big as this obviously or we'd all remember... But she was telling me then that a deputy showed up at their school and stayed there all day with the school on alert even though they were an elementary school 50 miles away from the school where the incident occurred which also happened to be a high school.

So I think they just beef up things everywhere due to the standard "abundance of caution".
Correct. It's standard operating procedure. Gwinnett Police have positioned a marked vehicle at each campus today, as well.

Please pray for the community. Kids are in a bad place right now. Trying to counsel/pastor them is tough.

Very hard to process this. When things broke this morning, I was cautiously optimistic that there were no casualties or serious injuries, etc. The news has certainly gotten worse as the story has developed.

I don’t have any answers to it. And I’m skeptical of anyone who claims to have any answers.

It’s just awful.

Very hard to process this. When things broke this morning, I was cautiously optimistic that there were no casualties or serious injuries, etc. The news has certainly gotten worse as the story has developed.

I don’t have any answers to it. And I’m skeptical of anyone who claims to have any answers.

It’s just awful.
I, as well as the rest of the pastors in Winder, know that we don’t. Scary, sad phone calls I had to make this morning as sirens could be heard in the backgrounds of each one. There were also threats at Winder-Barrow and Barrow Arts and Sciences Academy, all of which I have kids in my student ministry that attend. I’ve only been here 4+ months, so still in the process of relationship building.

I was at AHS Thursday and fed their team. I was at WBHS Tuesday and again this morning.

Whatever your beliefs, evaluate your faith and your life. Time is very short.

Latest update from GBI is 4 dead and 9 injured.

Shooter is, unfortunately, alive and in custody.

That he’s alive may provide some insight into how this happened. By that I mean the circumstances that lead up to it. But that’s probably a misplaced hope; that what I’m sure is an irrational person can provide anything of value.

Latest update from GBI is 4 dead and 9 injured.

Shooter is, unfortunately, alive and in custody.
I think it is fortunate the shooter is alive. It’s an opportunity to perhaps learn and understand what drove him to this. That type of information could be valuable. Too often these shooters are killed and we don’t learn much about what triggered them outside of combing social media and maybe other documents they leave behind. Also he is probably a troubled kid who made a terrible terrible decision, but i dont believe it is unfortunate he is alive.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT