ADVERTISEMENT

NonDawg The new Star Wars movie is awful

I mean it’s just awful. Cool cinamatography and action - but overall a nonexisitant storyline. Terrible.

Interesting how all of the heroes were women (Laura Dern, Leia and Rey). All of the men were cowards (Luke), idiots or incompetent (Poe and Finn). Snoke, the most powerful creature in the universe goes down without a fight. Ren, who was fully trained by Luke is never really even intimidating. Much of what I would expect from Disney in this day and age. Agree the cinematography is good as always.

Last edited:
Interesting how all of the heroes were women (Laura Dern, Leia and Rey). All of the men were cowards (Luke), idiots or incompetent (Poe and Finn). Snoke, the most powerful creature in the universe goes down without a fight. Ren, who was fully trained by Luke is never really even intimidating. Much of what I would expect from Disney in this day and age. Agree the cinematography is good as always.
Good point about the gender thing. Didn’t really notice until you pointed it out. It’s obvious that it’s very female drivin but you’re right about the male leads all being incompetent.

I liked it but too long. Thought Mark Hamill got better the more the movie progressed. Too bad about Princess Leia

Good point about the gender thing. Didn’t really notice until you pointed it out. It’s obvious that it’s very female drivin but you’re right about the male leads all being incompetent.
No, he’s not right AT ALL about the male leads being incompetent. The central theme to this movie is failure. Yoda LITERALLY says this. Nearly everyone fails in this movie:
Rey fails to turn Kylo to the light.
Poe fails to listen to orders, gets a bunch of people killed.
Luke fails Kylo by assuming that once Snoke had started to turn him, that he had to be destroyed.
Finn/Rose fail on their nigh impossible mission to save the Resistance.

Saying that Luke is a coward is so stupid I cannot even believe it came out of someone’s mouth. He’s ashamed. Ashamed that he didn’t see his student turning to the dark side. Ashamed that he, the LEGEND, Luke Skywalker, failed at training other potential Jedi. And above all else, ashamed that even for a brief moment he considered killing his own nephew. THAT’S why he exiled himself; not because he’s a coward.

Saw the very first one .. was ready to walk out .. never saw another one ..

The stuff I'm hearing about TLJ leads me to believe its just a bunch of Social Justice Warrior claptrap. The evil mostly male Caucasian Empire being opposed by a plucky multi cultural #Resistance led by all women....that sort of thing. I'll guess I'll watch it because, you know...battered wife syndrome and all that....the series is no good to me anymore, but it used to be, so I'll stay in the fold. I was completely underwhelmed by TFA...it was nothing more than a rip off of the 1977 movie for the little children of 2017 who can't be convinced to watch a 40 year old movie. What the hell, it worked the first time..

Reactions: Gusta Dawg
The stuff I'm hearing about TLJ leads me to believe its just a bunch of Social Justice Warrior claptrap. The evil mostly male Caucasian Empire being opposed by a plucky multi cultural #Resistance led by all women....that sort of thing. I'll guess I'll watch it because, you know...battered wife syndrome and all that....the series is no good to me anymore, but it used to be, so I'll stay in the fold. I was completely underwhelmed by TFA...it was nothing more than a rip off of the 1977 movie for the little children of 2017 who can't be convinced to watch a 40 year old movie. What the hell, it worked the first time..
How about you just watch the movie yourself instead of basing your opinions on wildly hyperbolic statements by others, ESPECIALLY by people on this board. I don’t love TLJ, but it’s not what you’re describing.

Also about TFA: After the botched prequels, Disney kind of had to make a very safe soft reboot movie in order to remind people of what Star Wars feels like. Yes, it’s basically ANH, but it was a competent movie nonetheless.

How about you just watch the movie yourself instead of basing your opinions on wildly hyperbolic statements by others, ESPECIALLY by people on this board. I don’t love TLJ, but it’s not what you’re describing.

Also about TFA: After the botched prequels, Disney kind of had to make a very safe soft reboot movie in order to remind people of what Star Wars feels like. Yes, it’s basically ANH, but it was a competent movie nonetheless.
OK, where am I wrong?

No, he’s not right AT ALL about the male leads being incompetent. The central theme to this movie is failure. Yoda LITERALLY says this. Nearly everyone fails in this movie:
Luke fails Kylo by assuming that once Snoke had started to turn him, that he had to be destroyed.

Saying that Luke is a coward is so stupid I cannot even believe it came out of someone’s mouth. He’s ashamed. Ashamed that he didn’t see his student turning to the dark side. Ashamed that he, the LEGEND, Luke Skywalker, failed at training other potential Jedi. And above all else, ashamed that even for a brief moment he considered killing his own nephew. THAT’S why he exiled himself; not because he’s a coward.

Well, at least Luke signed with us. Enjoy this semester at tech.

OK, where am I wrong?
Poe is leading the Resistance at the end of TLJ. Boom, you’re wrong about it only being women in power. The Empire has always been an analogue for Nazis, so I don’t know what you’re complaining about by saying it’s just a bunch of white men. It always has been.

Well, at least Luke signed with us. Enjoy this semester at tech.
Mate I graduated from UGA in 2014, but nice try at a bad joke. Also, glad that any kind of meaningful response to anything on this site is just met with “lol, look at the nerd.” Which is funny, because you’re here too.

Spoiler alert

The movie overall was entertaining. I was disappointed by two aspects of the story:

1. We never get any back story on Snoke before he is killed. It’s hard to believe that he just appears out of nowhere with supreme command of the force and control of the most powerful army in the galaxy. Maybe they are setting us up to make a prequel to the movies?

2. I was disappointed to learn about Rey’s heritage. I suppose Kylo Ren could be lying to her.

The movie did have good moments and I'm really not sure what I think of it. I can't remember specifics but some of the dialogue and actions of previously established characters seemed out of character and/or out of place/time. At one point I expected Luke to start dabbing.

The Leia in orbit thing was beyond absurd.

I mean it’s just awful. Cool cinamatography and action - but overall a nonexisitant storyline. Terrible.
I am going to see the movie on Churchill today. Here it's really good. Really looking forward to see the movie on the book The Horsemen. It's gonna be awesome. At least the book was. It's about the first Seal Team to go into Afghanistan. They kicked a$$.

I thought it was entertaining. It's just bad that they can't come up with a story line that better than the first series. It certainly fell short of my expectations. Absolutely hated the Luke story line. What a waste.

Favorites in order 1. Empire Strikes Back, 2. The Force Awakens, 3. Rogue One, 4. The Last Jedi, 5. Revenge of the Sith, 6. A New Hope, 7. Return of the Jedi, 8. Attack of the Clones, 9. The Phantom Menace.

Luke is only doing what he learned from Ben and Yoda. Gone into hiding in a remote corner of the universe.

I obviously don't get into the whole star wars thing as much as you but having an opposing view doesn't make me or what I said stupid. Why didn't he go after Kylo after he failed him? Ooops, I messed up and it will cost all of those lives. Even when he finally does help decide to help his sister he never really comes back or risks anything. Maybe coming from someone who is just a casual viewer it appears differently than to you?

Mate I graduated from UGA in 2014, but nice try at a bad joke. Also, glad that any kind of meaningful response to anything on this site is just met with “lol, look at the nerd.” Which is funny, because you’re here too.
It is a freaking movie. You are welcome to your own unique opinion, but don't expect anyone else to feel as strongly about it as you.

I obviously don't get into the whole star wars thing as much as you but having an opposing view doesn't make me or what I said stupid. Why didn't he go after Kylo after he failed him? Ooops, I messed up and it will cost all of those lives. Even when he finally does help decide to help his sister he never really comes back or risks anything. Maybe coming from someone who is just a casual viewer it appears differently than to you?
I mean, he does take a risk at the end of the movie to help his sister. I don’t know how you could have interpreted the ending any other way than what it’s explicitly showing you with Luke.

I mean, he does take a risk at the end of the movie to help his sister. I don’t know how you could have interpreted the ending any other way than what it’s explicitly showing you with Luke.

He never left the island. yes he tricked Kylo and helped them escape but he was never there.

What you see as weakness I see as a sort of strength, I would argue. Potentially misguided? Sure. But, I understand the reasoning. To add a bit of 'personal perspective'...I've been a nuclear-certified weapons officer. I can appreciate the gravity of knowing the responsibility of 'ultimate power'....and can relate to what he might have been going through if I saw all-powerful/destructive abilities moving beyond my control (i.e. better to stay or go?). It rang true with me.

As far as the male/female discussion...in a world where males dominate 'combat' positions...and a vast majority of said positions end in death...who's left? It seems real to me. The proof is in the execution of #IX, for me. I think there is legit potential. Hope I'm not disappointed.

Hey NukeFish, Read any Iain Banks’ Culture Series?

It's good...just leave your preconceptions behind. It doesn't follow most of the tired cliches of the past & plays on your expectations. Is it perfect? No. But, it has some really great moments & frees up Episode IX to be as good as the creative minds want it to be.
Yep, like The Empire Strikes Back was a bridge to Return

Reactions: Moosefish
Great movie!! Best of the series except maybe the Empire Strikes Back

That is what disney has done with star wars.. strong men don't apply. i actually enjoyed the movie, but i know if disney is associated with a movie they have some type of agenda they are pushing onto their audiences.

Last Jedi is an abomination and should have an asterisk beside it that reads made for 8-12 year olds and tweener millennials. There were so many unrealistic characters and the plot is C minus grade pulp. Even the kid leaving the theater asked why the most sophisticated ship the empire builds doesn’t have a shield, but the rebel ship of course does. Since when do they run out of fuel? What was there plan, to find a Circle K in space to load up on diesel? So a nuclear aircraft carrier in our world can sail for years, but they are running out of fuel! So Luke is trained by Obi Won and Yoda and battles Darth Vader twice, but Rey with two minutes of training can beat Luke into submission? What an insult. Don’t even get me started on Rose. I never thought there could be a more annoying character than Jar Jar Binks. Every man in the movie is an imbecile and every female character is a Mary Sue. In the first Star Wars, the X wing fighters looked like they could’ve flown P-51 mustangs in WW2. Now they look like they came from the cast of high school musical.

I can't like this enough. LMFAO.

Reactions: Gusta Dawg
Ok, I am not sure what movie you seen. I thought it was good.

They also through in some vegan stuff and little rah rah chat for the poor and downtrodden to rise up!

The first two were pretty good movies. The rest can be put in the shitter from what I've seen. I won't watch any more of that disney garbage...just generic PC fluff. They've dumbed it down to appeal to the masses and now it's like Disney after school specials on tv. (My 13 year old nephew said that part)

Lucas should have killed it off after the first three since his heart was clearly not in it. The turn started with those god awful ewok characters in Return of the Jedi . Way too much money to be made though.

Last edited:
Maybe I heard wrong, but my favorite part of the movie was when Finn and the obnoxious girl set out on their mission. They have to fly across the galaxy to a party city, find a guy who they’ve never met, in the midst of thousands of people, identifying him solely by a pin he’s wearing, convince him to fly back across the galaxy, infiltrate an empire battleship, find a room where he can quietly go about breaking a code that mysteriously is only turned on on one ship at a time, crack the code, fly back to their fleeing ship (which you have to assume is flying at the max speed it can without going light speed or warp or whatever),and then jump to lightspeed themselves...all in 18 hours. (Oops...I guess that was a run on sentence like that entire movie)

I can’t go to the store and decipher my wife’s shopping list in that length of time.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT