ADVERTISEMENT

How the top 6 SEC teams were built and what it means for us this offseason

Great data post here, but a long one, so let me give you the cliffs. 83% of the top 5 players on each of the top 6 SEC teams this year came from the portal or were ranked in the top 30 coming out of high school. So we need to focus on portal and top 30 high schoolers this offseason. Also of note, of the 30 players on these teams, only 2 were sophomores, and they were towards the back of the team's top performers. So for folks saying, "the most important thing we can do this offseason is keep the freshmen", well....it's important, but no where near where the majority of our NIL money needs to be spent.

Now for the actual post in full form:

The top 6 teams in the SEC were a cut above the rest. They are clearly in the NCAA tournament and are not on the bubble, hoping, praying, trying to sneak in. This is where we want to be. So how were they built? At the bottom of this post you will find the top 5 scorers on each team of those 6 teams and where they came from: either recruited to that team out of high school or whether they came from the portal. If they came from high school, I will put whether they were a top 30 ranked player or higher (basically 5 star status).

So there are the 30 players (the 6 top sec teams, their 5 top scorers). Out of those 30 players:

Portal - 19 out of 30 (63%)
High School - 11 out of 30 (37%)

Here is the other kicker, out of the 11 high schoolers, 6 out of those 11 were top 30 ranked recruits by Rivals. So only 5 players out of the 30 were recruited from high school that weren't top 30. So here is the breakdown:

Portal - 19 out of 30 (63%)
High School (top 30 recruits) - 6 out of 30 (20%)
High School (not top 30 recruit) - 5 out of 30 (17%)

So Blue, Dylan, and Silas fall into a small sliver of a category of how the top teams are built (high school, not top 30 rated). Here is one more kicker, out of those 30 players, only two were sophomores. The 4th best scorer on Bama (Rylen Griffen) and the 5th best scorer on Florida (Riley Kugel)

So either Georgia is going to break the mold next year and do it a completely new way from everyone else and make it into one of the top sec teams or we need A LOT more in the portal. And for the folks who are saying the most important thing we can do this offseason is to keep Blue Cain, SIlas Demary, and Dylan James, the data says otherwise. I don't want to lose them, but if they are even close to our main pieces from this off season, I believe we are in trouble.

Here is the list of teams and players (highest scorers listed first and so on); also listed is their current year playing college ball:

Tennessee
Knecht - Portal - 4th year
Aidoo - High School #25 overall - 3rd year
Zeigler - High School - 3rd year
James - High School #18 overall - 4th year
Gainey - Portal 3rd year

South Carolina
Johnson - Portal - 4th year
Mack - Portal - 5th year
Murray Boyles - High School - 1st year
Cooper - Portal - 5th year
Stute - Portal - 4th year

Auburn
Broome - Portal - 4th year
Williams - High School - 5th year
Baker-Mazara - Portal - 3rd year
Jones - Portal - 3rd year
Holloway - High School #29 overall - 1st year

Kentucky
Reeves - Portal - 5th year
Dillingham - High School #15 overall - 1st year
Sheppard - High School #28 overall - 1st year
Mitchell - Portal - 5th year
Wagner - High School #6 overall - 1st year

Bama
Sears - Portal - 4th year
Estrada - Portal - 5th year
Nelson - Portal - 4th year
Griffen - High School - 2nd year
Wrightsell - Portal - 4th year

Florida
Clayton - Portal - 3rd year
Pullin - Portal - 5th year
Samuel - Portal - 5th year
Richard - Portal - 3rd year
Kugel - High School - 2nd year

Also of note: Every one of these top 6 teams leading scorer came from the portal.

Georgia Golf Courses for a trip?

For the last 25 years, we have had a group of 16 or so guys make a spring golf trip to Little Ocmulgee for a weekend. This year, it was $350 per person and included 72 holes of golf, two nights stay, and two mornings of breakfast.

We still like it there, but I’m interested to know if there are any other courses in Georgia that would accommodate us in a similar way for next year. Thanks!

Worth the listen. JD interviewing b-ball SID Mike Mobley on Jeff Dantzler Show.

JD had a really good interview with MBB SID, Mike Mobley, today and I left feeling pretty encouraged of where the program is. Yes, I know he’s gonna put on a good face because of his position but he gives some good factoids on why we’re better this year than last and puts a lot of things in perspective. He also hints (I think) that Nique’s son might be coming here without outright saying it? The whole episode is really good and worth the listen. He interviews UK’s baseball and WBB pxp guy who provides some great perspective on UK which I enjoyed. However, if you want to go straight to the interview, start with about 17 mins left in pod. I think yall will enjoy it. Go Dawgs and beat Mizz tonight!

https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/sports-radio-93-1/id1451023128?i=1000649098628
Reactions: BulldogRick

NEW STORY Softball team beats Tech

From UGA Sports Info

The fifth-ranked Georgia softball team defeated Georgia Tech 6-3 on Wednesday evening in front of a crowd of 1,312 at Jack Turner Stadium. Fifth-year Sara Mosley highlighted the game, hitting a pair of two-run home runs.

Georgia climbs to 21-3 on the season. The win snapped Georgia Tech’s (18-8) 15-game win streak heading into the rivalry matchup.

Jayda Kearney finished the game 3-for-4 at the plate, also hitting a home run. Lyndi Rae Davis drew three walks out of the leadoff spot. Sophomore Tyler Ellison hit her first-career home run in a pinch-hit opportunity late in the game.

Lilli Backes (8-1) earned the win in her start, working into the seventh inning. She struck out five, allowing three runs on two hits. Backes took a no-hit bid into the fifth inning. Shelby Walters pitched the seventh inning, slamming the door on the Yellow Jackets’ comeback bid.

Georgia wasted no time putting runs on the board, first on a two-run home run from Mosley, followed by a solo shot off the bat of Kearney to go up 3-0 in the first.

Mosley’s second two-run home run of the game lengthened the Dogs’ lead to 5-0 in the home half of the fifth.

Ellison’s first career home run in the sixth extended the lead to 6-0.

Georgia Tech attempted a late-inning comeback in the seventh. After a walk and a hit by pitch, a two-run double broke up Backes’ shutout. Walters entered to pitch with one on, no out. Following a strikeout and a popup, a single plated another Jacket run to cut the lead to 6-3. A flyout to center ended the comeback bid.

The Bulldogs open Southeastern Conference play this weekend at Jack Turner Stadium when the Alabama Crimson Tide comes to town. The three-game series opens Friday evening at 6 p.m. The Dogs and Tide square off at noon, both Saturday and Sunday, live on SEC Network.

Head Coach Tony Baldwin

On what the team can take from this win into SEC play...

"The fact that we've played a lot of tough games. We played really good competition. We played a lot of ranked teams, and they aren't always easy. It's not always going to go the way you script it and how you want it, and it's not in a neat and tidy package. And I think we've learned that we can play in that environmen, and that's what we'll take into this weekend against another really good opponent. If we just continue to follow our blueprint for success, the things that we deem really important in terms of how you win softball games, and we keep trying to execute in those areas, then the outcomes will take care of themselves."

On the depth of this team...

"We have a lot of people that can contribute, and I think that gives us an opportunity to arrange our lineup for matchups. It gives us the opportunity to alive the pressure off some of the players. Naturally, teams and players go through waves, and with the depth that we have, we're able to minimize the depth of some of those waves. We don't have to leave anybody out there to struggle so we can just keep running good players out there. And if we can keep doing that, that keeps everybody fresh mentally, physically, emotionally, and that gives us the best chance to be successful."

#33 Sara Mosley | Fifth Year | INF

On how the strong start impacted the team’s confidence…

“Just believing in ourselves and trusting our process, and the strong start is what we want. It’s always what we want. We always love beating a good rival, and so having a good competition and having that strong beginning just lets our confidence bloom.”

On her mindset, hitting her second home run with a 3-2 count…

“I’m just staying true to my zone and really just feeling the pitch. I don’t really think when I’m in the box. I just see a pitch and hit it. 3-2 count, I hit one foul, and then she threw it in the zone, and I was going to hit it.”
ADVERTISEMENT

Filter

ADVERTISEMENT