ADVERTISEMENT

The Daily Dawg Caller UGA’s biggest blowout of the modern era (1958 vs. The Citadel)

I recently ran across this silent black & white coaches film—every play—of Georgia’s 76-0 win over The Citadel at Sanford Stadium on November 22, 1958. I had never seen footage from this game before. I thought some of y’all might be interested.

Login to view embedded media

A few things about the Bulldogs vs. Bulldogs matchup in 1958 which made it somewhat unique:

Played in front of approximately 26,000 spectators, including around 3,500 making up the 62 bands for “High School and Band Day” (ah, the annual Band Day at Sanford Stadium…), Georgia’s 76-0 win over The Citadel remains the fifth-largest scoring margin for a single game in program history, and the biggest blowout for the Bulldogs since World War II.

Granted, The Citadel was considered a warmup for Georgia, which would be taking on archrival Georgia Tech the following week. Still, the visiting Bulldogs were considered no slouch (and certainly not 11 touchdowns worse than Georgia). The week before, The Citadel had upset VMI, 14-6, ending the Keydets’ 18-game unbeaten streak.

All but one of the 44 men on Georgia’s roster saw game action. Nursing an injury while trying to get healthy for the Tech game, senior guard Cicero Lucas was the lone Bulldog not to see the field. All five of Georgia’s quarterbacks—junior Charley Britt, followed by sophomore Fran Tarkenton, playing in his first varsity season since freshmen were ineligible, junior Tommy Lewis, sophomore Tommy Paris, and finally senior Glen Nunley—attempted at least one pass, but no one attempted more than four. All but one of the five quarterbacks (except Britt, the starter) ran or passed for at least one touchdown.

Tarkenton, who was beginning to make a name for himself coming off the bench in relief for Britt, was essentially perfect on the afternoon. He first entered towards the end of Georgia’s initial drive, scoring from 13 yards out on fourth down (around the 5:30 mark of video). For the game, Tarkenton was 3 for 3 passing for 54 yards and two touchdowns while rushing for 58 yards and two touchdowns on four carries. He also passed for a two-point conversion.

Georgia’s 11 touchdowns—seven scored on runs, three on passes, and one via kickoff return—were scored by 10 different players. The home Bulldogs totaled 520 yards—365 rushing, 155 passing—whereas the visiting Bulldogs were limited to only 40 total yards, including minus-19 rushing.

After the game, it was reported Georgia head coach Wally Butts was “genuinely sorry” for the beating his team dealt. Butts, who primarily played third-, fourth-,and fifth-stringers after all of his starters appeared less than 10 minutes, was said to have “little control over” the rout.

As far as the opposing head coach, The Citadel’s Eddie Teague, you could say he was genuinely bitter after the blowout. According to The Atlanta Journal, Teague “went into his team’s dressing room immediately following the game, locked the door and gave the word he would not meet the press for the usual post-game conference.”

58 citadel summary.png

NonDawg Dehumidifier Recs for Basement/Crawl Spaces?

Was pondering the idea of getting a dehumidifier for our basement/crawl space area… hoping it might help with our cooling bills this summer?… any suggestions are appreciated… something that is good for 1000sf or so… and that I can hook into the furnace drain line and run constantly… seeing prices/reviews all over the board, so figured I’d ask the scholars here… thanks again and hope everyone has a great weekend… woof!

Former Athens bartender who could use a hand.

Sarah has stage 4 breast cancer. She served a lot of us drinks for years. I had the pleasure of working with her during college.
Awesome lady from Athens and up against a real challenge.
ADVERTISEMENT

Filter

ADVERTISEMENT