ADVERTISEMENT

Does anybody get the feeling college football as we know it

No one is “being forced” to “adhere to group think.” This is another straw man.

I always thought a fundamental tenant of capitalism was people could vote with their feet or did that only apply to making wedding cakes?
Don’t think you understand what capitalism is. A University (govt institution) forced an apology from an employee due to hurt feelings. That is certainly forcing one into group think.

Don’t think you understand what capitalism is. A University (govt institution) forced an apology from an employee due to hurt feelings. That is certainly forcing one into group think.
How do you know he didn’t just talk to Chuba and change his mind? No one waterboarded Gundy. I don’t think you understand “capitalism” or “force”. Gundy could have told OSU to piss off if he wanted

Can you imagine a player telling Erk what shirt he could wear?

Could you imagine Erk wearing anything other than a school-logo'd shirt?

Seriously. Who the hell wears a news (or "news") network t-shirt? Maybe the camera guy or one of the tech people in the studio? Like, actual employees. Anyone outside of that is just trying to get a reaction.

I always thought a fundamental tenant of capitalism was people could vote with their feet or did that only apply to making wedding cakes?
It applies and the football world is going to learn about it.

The simple fact that kids can now more easily transfer and that you have to continually "recruit" them even after they enroll, as compared to kids feeling stuck for their career, is a factor in what's creating all of this. The coaches and schools used to have the bulk of power and could get away with most anything. Irrespective of how you feel about the transfer options, those days are gone.

Voting for with your feet is/was a wonderful concept, but it only works when the power is concentrated at the local and state level as the framers intended.

I typically don't get into these discussions because they just escalate into two sides of people with no desire to listen to what the other side has to say. That said, to your point...yes he should in theory have the right to wear whatever he wants.

But...my former boss had a framed saying he kept on his wall that said "REALITY is the murder of a beautiful theory by a gang of ugly facts."

So...in this case, the gang of ugly facts is that as a head coach of a football team (or for that matter a high visibility player like a QB) you have a greater level of responsibility and conscientiousness to be careful of what you do, say, and even represent (by wearing something). I don't know anything about OAN...had never heard of it before all this blew up. Are they the devilish root of all evil organization they are made out to be? Who knows...maybe, maybe not.

That said, he has to know who they are and what they stand for before he wears their t-shirt or speaks on behalf of them (which I guess he had done previously). It was a minor thing that was made much bigger by him just not really thinking about the repercussions of this prior to wearing the t-shirt. What does that really say about his decision making ability as a coach, recruiter, leader? His on-field results are pretty good...not great, but this is one he is going to have to fight off for a while now.

I have some level of sympathy for some of the people who get blasted by the media outlets that lean to the left, but in this case he probably deserves what he is getting.

is about to be a thing of the past? The Gundy situation really bothers me. This guy wore a t-shirt of a news network that he watches. I don't even know what OAR is. But the fact that a firestorm can now be started by your star player by what NEWS NETWORK you watch is a sure sign of the times. What if Kirby wore a Fox News polo to a charity golf tournament? Are our players going to turn on us now?

I absolutely love college football but if this is the road we are going down I don't know if i'm in anymore. All matter of respect is being eroded. The players should be treated fairly but they should respect the coaches and administration of the university they play for. Throwing your coach under the bus for the news network he listens to is not ok with me. Does OAR broadcast racist stuff or what...I really don't know. If it really offended the player why did he not go into Gundy's office and talk with him like a man? Going to social media should only be a last resort and is not even a good option at that point.

I'm just afraid the sport I grew up with is going the way of the NFL. I gave the NFL up a few years ago and can honestly say I have not watched 10 seconds of NFL football in at least 3 years. Hell the whole world is changing and I admit I have no clue what to make of it. I don't have a racist bone in my body and I think some great conversations are coming out from all of this. But I don't have a lot of tolerance for this new participation trophy generation that are offended with EVERYTHING. I really don't want to lose college football but I'm afraid the end is in sight.
As long as players see Universities going after the almighty dollar (TV contracts, conference realignment, conference tv networks, etc) they are going to want a bigger piece of the pie. I can't really blame them for that. This is not a new shift...it has been happening for several years and the players are starting to realize they have more of a say in how it all operates.

Two other thoughts I have:

The schools themselves are creating enormous value, too. Georgia fans don’t buy tickets because Jake Fromm or Todd Gurley is playing here. They buy tickets and follow the program because of an emotional connection to the program (and for tickets, the quality of opponent who is coming to Athens). We didn’t see ticket demand or interest drop off any after Todd Gurley left.

The schools provide a platform, they provide training, nutrition, and healthcare also. Todd Gurley and Jake Fromm added value to Georgia. Georgia added value to Todd Gurley and Jake Fromm too. That often gets lost or overlooked.

The second thing is related to the first. True minor league professional football wouldn’t generate much interest because of the existing popularity of college football. You can even see that in baseball. LSU, Arkansas, Miss State will draw 8,000-10,000 fans for weekend games. You don’t see those kinds of crowds for minor league baseball, even in AAA. Heck, Arkansas will sell 5,000+ tickets for a Tuesday game against SE Missouri.

I think what you’d see from minor league professional football is that the money just wouldn’t be there. And I would argue that it would be harder for a player to create additional value in minor league professional football than he could in college.

excellent points....think about Tua - is he the same level of phenomenon at some non major program? Surely not and with the image/likeness changes coming - being at a Georgia/bama/Southern Cal/Texas will be more important than ever.

I’m saying the way you feel is not today’s reality. It’s just yours.
Ok, just to make sure we are on the same page about where I stand, what I find "funny" is not the reaction of the players or those criticizing Gundy. I find "funny" the perspective of OP and those folks who feel CFB is being ruined by outspoken players. My point was that Gundy is free to wear what he wants, but all choices have consequences, and one consequence may be that folks do not want to play or work with Gundy if he chooses to express a fondness for OAN.

Reactions: rednblack4life
One thing that has proven to be true over the last few years in sports is ‘get woke, go broke’... Look at what happened to the NFL ratings when Kap and others were kneeling every week. You can think whatever you want about Goodell or guys like Jerry Jones but they understand that this is a business and alienating up to half of your audience is bad business. This is also why Jimmy Pitaro got ESPN away from being so political the last few years because he knew it was hurting ratings. I can also promise you that the NBA will see a big ratings decrease when they come back (note: their ratings this year were already bad this year) with everything they are trying to do.

This isn’t about if the players or owners have a ‘right’ to do this stuff or understand their ‘power’ or whatever else you want to say. MAJORITY of actual sports fans don’t care about the politics of their players/coaches and actually like to use sports as an escape from everything because it is the one place where everyone is supposed to be together regardless of race, gender, political affiliation. We literally live in a 24/7 news cycle so you can find plenty of channels, websites, etc for your political and current events information. But when people turn on a game or buy a ticket they want to get away from that.

A lot of good points in this entire thread, and I wish ESPN would get less political, but I've only seen them ramp it up recently. Everyone (politically) loves the pageantry, tradition, & competition of college football. Media is looking for anything to stoke the fires, and I'd wish they'd stay the hell out.

Re: NFL, I've seen the viewpoint of "you're wrong to be offended by kneeling of the flag" and that's going to piss off a lot of fans this year. If tons of players are kneeling for the anthem, you are going to see a bigger ratings drop than what we saw a couple years ago. Players have the right to protest and kneel during the anthem, but they have to decide if their cause is more important than their career.

Let's face it - there is only one way to think now. If you don't express the popular opinion, you are shouted down and treated like a pariah. If a coach does not express the correct thinking on a social issue, the players rebel and threaten to refuse to play for him. What happened to the old "agree to disagree" logic.

is about to be a thing of the past? The Gundy situation really bothers me. This guy wore a t-shirt of a news network that he watches. I don't even know what OAR is. But the fact that a firestorm can now be started by your star player by what NEWS NETWORK you watch is a sure sign of the times. What if Kirby wore a Fox News polo to a charity golf tournament? Are our players going to turn on us now?

I absolutely love college football but if this is the road we are going down I don't know if i'm in anymore. All matter of respect is being eroded. The players should be treated fairly but they should respect the coaches and administration of the university they play for. Throwing your coach under the bus for the news network he listens to is not ok with me. Does OAR broadcast racist stuff or what...I really don't know. If it really offended the player why did he not go into Gundy's office and talk with him like a man? Going to social media should only be a last resort and is not even a good option at that point.

I'm just afraid the sport I grew up with is going the way of the NFL. I gave the NFL up a few years ago and can honestly say I have not watched 10 seconds of NFL football in at least 3 years. Hell the whole world is changing and I admit I have no clue what to make of it. I don't have a racist bone in my body and I think some great conversations are coming out from all of this. But I don't have a lot of tolerance for this new participation trophy generation that are offended with EVERYTHING. I really don't want to lose college football but I'm afraid the end is in sight.
Or, you could educate yourself and see if there may be a point you're missing. Just a thought.

Let's face it - there is only one way to think now. If you don't express the popular opinion, you are shouted down and treated like a pariah. If a coach does not express the correct thinking on a social issue, the players rebel and threaten to refuse to play for him. What happened to the old "agree to disagree" logic.

That's your opinion. We can agree to disagree.

Two other thoughts I have:

The schools themselves are creating enormous value, too. Georgia fans don’t buy tickets because Jake Fromm or Todd Gurley is playing here. They buy tickets and follow the program because of an emotional connection to the program (and for tickets, the quality of opponent who is coming to Athens). We didn’t see ticket demand or interest drop off any after Todd Gurley left.

The schools provide a platform, they provide training, nutrition, and healthcare also. Todd Gurley and Jake Fromm added value to Georgia. Georgia added value to Todd Gurley and Jake Fromm too. That often gets lost or overlooked.

The second thing is related to the first. True minor league professional football wouldn’t generate much interest because of the existing popularity of college football. You can even see that in baseball. LSU, Arkansas, Miss State will draw 8,000-10,000 fans for weekend games. You don’t see those kinds of crowds for minor league baseball, even in AAA. Heck, Arkansas will sell 5,000+ tickets for a Tuesday game against SE Missouri.

I think what you’d see from minor league professional football is that the money just wouldn’t be there. And I would argue that it would be harder for a player to create additional value in minor league professional football than he could in college.

You just nailed it. I Admire Ben Watson And he was on the Laura Ingram show sometime back. This is when Jemelle hill the bigot was advocating for black players to go to black colleges. Ben said he thought it was a great idea and they got him off the show immediately. And they should have. If Nick Chubb had gone to Grambling, would I have cared. If Todd Gurley has stayed at South Carolina state what I’ve cared? Hell no. And the money wouldn’t of followed because I’m not gonna change my allegiance for any unknown High school kid. I watch Georgia. And if somebody wanted to go to a historically black college to make a point they are welcome to ride a bus 12 hours on Friday because the monies not there nor is it there in smaller divisions. Period.We’re all here because we are Georgia fans.
Unfortunately college football is morphing into a NFL minor-league with all the transfers and talk of paying players… And that will be the worst thing that will happen to the black athlete

Last edited:
But what if there are people who decided to stop watching the NFL because of the way they treated Kaepernick now decide to come back? I think everyone on here assumes the ratings drop was just "true Americans" who were mad at someone disrespecting the flag...but I significantly deceased the amount I watched due to the fact that Kaepernick was blacklisted. Now that the league is supporting the players more in their desire to protest I'm more inclined to watch. Don't discount the other side to this argument, I know plenty of people who will choose to watch now because of the shift in the league's response to protesting.

Very good point, and not sure we'll ever know. I think if you see a big ratings drop this year then we'll have a clearer picture. I wish we could find a happy medium of improving race relations without disrespecting the flag, but here we are. I will be happy to have sports back period.

Jed York, owner of the 49ers, gave $1M to support Kaepernick's cause after he first kneeled and setup a meeting with the police chief to begin conversations about real change. Kaepernick never showed up to the meeting. That is where he lost a lot of people in NFL circles.

Last edited:

Agree to disagree sir.

You just nailed it. I Admire Ben Watson And he was on the Laura Ingram show sometime back. This is when Jemelle hill the bigot was advocating for black players to go to black colleges. Ben said he thought it was a great idea and they got him off the show immediately. And they should have. If Nick Chubb had gone to Grambling, would I have cared. If Todd Gurley has stayed at South Carolina state what I’ve cared? Hell no. And the money wouldn’t of followed because I’m not gonna change my allegiance for any unknown High school kid. I watch Georgia. And if somebody wanted to go to a historically black college to make a point they are welcome to ride a bus 12 hours on Friday because the monies not there nor is it there in smaller divisions. Period.We’re all here because we are Georgia fans.
Unfortunately college football is morphing into a NFL minor-league with all the transfers and talk of paying players… And that will be the worst thing that will happen to the black athlete

Wait so they didn’t agree with Bens opinion and took him off the show? Huh thought only the big, bad left did stuff like that.

Reactions: PDX_Dawg
Or, you could educate yourself and see if there may be a point you're missing. Just a thought.
No I think I understand the counterpoint to my argument. They have a right to do what they want. My whole point is that the game is changing and not everyone is going to stay onboard when the train leaves the station. These players have a right to protest or disagree just as much as I do. I can also turn off the television or quit going to the games too. My biggest problem with the Gundy situation is how the player handled it. Go straight to social media and throw the head coach to the wolves. Not cool. That is not how successful people do business.

But what if there are people who decided to stop watching the NFL because of the way they treated Kaepernick now decide to come back? I think everyone on here assumes the ratings drop was just "true Americans" who were mad at someone disrespecting the flag...but I significantly deceased the amount I watched due to the fact that Kaepernick was blacklisted. Now that the league is supporting the players more in their desire to protest I'm more inclined to watch. Don't discount the other side to this argument, I know plenty of people who will choose to watch now because of the shift in the league's response to protesting.

El oh el

Reactions: theboyracer45
No I think I understand the counterpoint to my argument. They have a right to do what they want. My whole point is that the game is changing and not everyone is going to stay onboard when the train leaves the station. These players have a right to protest or disagree just as much as I do. I can also turn off the television or quit going to the games too. My biggest problem with the Gundy situation is how the player handled it. Go straight to social media and throw the head coach to the wolves. Not cool. That is not how successful people do business.
And you're privy to the discussions, the internal workings of that locker room and office? The game is changing because it needs to change. I wonder what message boards would have looked like had they existed in 1947?

Last edited:
Wait so they didn’t agree with Bens opinion and took him off the show? Huh thought only the big, bad left did stuff like that.
Yeah they did it was like 1057 and I’m sure that wasn’t the answer they were expecting. But they have had him back on Fox many times since
But it’s a stupid position unless you want to go back to the 1950s because all the ESPN
And all the Woke warriors can’t fix that

Yeah they did it was like 1057 and I’m sure that wasn’t the answer they were expecting. But they have had him back on Fox many times since
But it’s a stupid position unless you want to go back to the 1950s because all the ESPN
And all the Woke warriors can’t fix that

Hahaha

Players have more power than they ever realized... and they're starting to realize it.

When you are a leader of a team that's 75% young black men, and you promote a "news" organization that those same men will despise when they learn what it stands for, you're an idiot. Gundy could believe in Qanon and every other bats*** insane thing, but he should do it quietly given the people he needs to succeed will most likely disagree.

Right now, CFB players see how valuable they are. Not just in terms of money for themselves, but how much money they bring to the schools. If CFB ended tomorrow, the NFL or someone would find a way to create a minor league to feed into the big leagues. The players would have a place to go.

If CFB ended tomorrow, major universities around the country would crumble, and their entire athletic departments would be gone.
Preach!!!

agree. With all the stupid shot that’s been going on and so many people looking to appease these
Little mobs, I’m starting to lose interest.

CFB is all I watch on TV. I live it. I wait for it every year, plan my calendar around it and it’s really my sole pastime.

but when these entitled brats strat demanding we behave according to their wishes, they can have it. A couple things like the Tx player demands, Florida starting to pay players, and this stuff, just feels like they are ruining this sport.

im under no illusion that anyone cares how I feel about this and I’m certain CFB doesn’t need my support to survive but I’m just losing interest as this silliness continues. I truly hope it stops.

I would be a sad mofo without UGA and CFB.

We all have to realize this BEGAN when we silently stood by and watched our education systems allow liberal, PC snowflake, and even Marxist leaning teachers and professors indoctrinate our kids. Don't get me wrong, there as many great teachers, but they have to keep their mouths shut for fear of being terminated. It began with no school prayers, then no discipline, then no teachings of real history, lowering standards of all to meet those lower level students who lived in homes where parents, or no parent at all, could care less about morals , education, respect for country and flag, or life successes..
Or, it (whatever 'it' is) began when we created this myth of a country dedicated to the equal rights of all people,didn't live up to it, and then vilified those who pointed out the discrepancy; when propaganda was consider historical fact and those who pointed out the less than flattering truth were branded un-American. Personally, I'll respect this country when, if, it at least tries to live up to the promise it made to the world.

Ok, just to make sure we are on the same page about where I stand, what I find "funny" is not the reaction of the players or those criticizing Gundy. I find "funny" the perspective of OP and those folks who feel CFB is being ruined by outspoken players. My point was that Gundy is free to wear what he wants, but all choices have consequences, and one consequence may be that folks do not want to play or work with Gundy if he chooses to express a fondness for OAN.

Ahhh. We were not! I completely misunderstood your point. Thanks for clearing that up. We agree.

Reactions: dawgman034
We all have to realize this BEGAN when we silently stood by and watched our education systems allow liberal, PC snowflake, and even Marxist leaning teachers and professors indoctrinate our kids. Don't get me wrong, there as many great teachers, but they have to keep their mouths shut for fear of being terminated. It began with no school prayers, then no discipline, then no teachings of real history, lowering standards of all to meet those lower level students who lived in homes where parents, or no parent at all, could care less about morals , education, respect for country and flag, or life successes..

Only Christian prayer, correct?

Anyone in authority is no longer allowed to express or share his or her views on social media.
Actually they can express their views, it's just that now, folks are more upset than ever before that the racial ideology is not being accepted anymore. Folks with an ounce of moral values are onboard with trying to end this stupid racism crap. Enough is enough. So if you are leader or a person in authority and you are a racist or have some sort of racist tendencies in your body, you better keep it amongst yourself because if it's on social media, more than likely you will be removed from said position. And if you are a leader or a person in authority and you have gotten your jollies off by berating black athletes because of your position, you better pray that it doesn't surface. If it does surface, you will be removed. Ask the Former Iowa Strength and Conditioning Coordinator how that turned out for him. I promise you Coach Ferentz is sweating bullets right now.

Reactions: rednblack4life
Why is it that some of you on here are so upset that black athletes are standing up for themselves and refusing to be oppressed and treated like crap any longer? How can you be ok with oppressing anyone for that matter? So now that black athletes are using their platform to raise awareness they are wrong? Should they just shut up and run the football, catch the football and tackle? I'm not saying all black athletes are treat like crap and I am not saying all white coaches treat black athletes like crap but there are few that do. So when an athlete speaks out, he or she shouldn't have to be ridiculed for doing so. If you don't want to be called out then don't do it.

Players have more power than they ever realized... and they're starting to realize it.

When you are a leader of a team that's 75% young black men, and you promote a "news" organization that those same men will despise when they learn what it stands for, you're an idiot. Gundy could believe in Qanon and every other bats*** insane thing, but he should do it quietly given the people he needs to succeed will most likely disagree.

Right now, CFB players see how valuable they are. Not just in terms of money for themselves, but how much money they bring to the schools. If CFB ended tomorrow, the NFL or someone would find a way to create a minor league to feed into the big leagues. The players would have a place to go.

If CFB ended tomorrow, major universities around the country would crumble, and their entire athletic departments would be gone.
So I honestly never heard of this network until this came up. Do they promote racism or are they just another version of right leaning “news” network?

How long do you think it will be before highly ranked High School players insist that a college coach must declare their political affiliation first before they agree to sign a letter of intent?

Last edited:
Calling football players entitled brats is supremely disrespectful. How about you appreciate them for providing you with years of enjoyment while they put themselves through countless hours of pain and hard work.

you’re entitled to your opinion but I’m sorry, if you get to go to college for free, eat for free, free housing, clothing, who knows what else and then turn around and complain about a shirt your coach wears, you’re worse than an entitled brat.

many have been appreciative of the OPPORTUNITY than they were afforded and to them I am grateful. I paid for my own college, and everything associated with it so I know it’s value. Most of these guys couldn’t even get in on their academic merits, much less get a scholarship, then turn around show such little gratitude.

honestly, people like you are the problem, acting as if these student athletes are bigger than the institution, has given rise to them thinking that way as well.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT