ADVERTISEMENT

Does anybody get the feeling college football as we know it

Disagree, they already had a drop when Kaepenick started this. We saw the drop in ratings and attendance. College football even had a drop in attendance. Now they are planning to do protesting on steroids. Also, we have not even mentioned CTE yet.
Uh, the ratings dropped in the first half of that season. By the end, they were back where they were at.....and by the following season, started going up again. Nothing stops the football machine.

Reactions: fprex
Uh, the ratings dropped in the first half of that season. By the end, they were back where they were at.....and by the following season, started going up again. Nothing stops the football machine.
They dropped the protest in on that level. Yes things do stop the football machine. HS will be dropping the sport. CTE is a death sentence for the sport long term.

Nonsense, symbols have always meant something since the beginning of mankind. This is a practical world. Your argument is just more millennial jibberish with no sense of history.
I'm probably older than you are so stow the millennial bullshit. Symbols mean something as long as what they symbolize isn't a lie. If your loyalty is more to the symbol than the ideals it is supposed to represent, that's a problem.

One could argue the same thing for the other way around. Without athletics, many of these guys wouldn’t even get into UGA. Sure the university profits off the players but they also benefit by having an avenue to showcase their skills. Without that avenue, what would most of them be doing? I just don’t understand why only one side can be offended. Mike Gundy can’t be offended by a thing his star RB does. However, he can wear a news shirt and the RB can be offended. It makes no sense at all. Like many people, I don’t even know what that news cast is and could are less. If Gundy wants to watch that on his own time, good for him. If the RB doesn’t like it, ignore it and move on. That is what we have always done before. What has changed is the media is influencing people to rebel, question, protest, be offended, etc.
They wouldn't want to go to UGA without the athletics, either. They're here to play football. We should all be adults about it and accept that reality.

Reactions: rednblack4life
short version: yes. The whole country is going to hell and has been for a while. I could go on, but I won't.

When my dad played college football at Florida black kids werent allowed to attend places like UGA or UF. Other people have been through way worse than white people are facing now, but youd never know it.

Reactions: BaileyDawg79
There's an old saying: When your're in your 20s, if you're not a Democrat, you have no heart. When you're in your 50s, if you're not a Republican, you have no mind.
The 'quote' is ‘If you’re not a liberal when you’re 25, you have no heart. If you’re not a conservative by the time you’re 35, you have no brain' supposedly by Winston Churchill but doubtful, especially considering his variety of positions during his life. Now, what's 'conservative' about bigotry, what is conservative about the GOP since Eisenhower?

Reactions: JB Sterling
Gundy is more than welcome to be offended, but he'll have to handle the consequences of it. Just like Howard and everyone else who speaks up will have to handle any consequences that come their way. Kaepernick kneeled and didn't get to play football again, I'd say that he dealt with consequences to his actions. Gundy is just not man enough to deal with consequences. So, unless he genuinely changed his views to align with Howard's overnight, he basically capitulated to save his job. You can say he doesn't deserve to lose his job over wearing a t-shirt but I'd say Kaepernick didn't deserve to lose his over kneeling.
Deer Lowered. You believe Kap lost his job due to kneeling? I must have watched more football in that time period than you.

Well, to others they might symbolize the RIGHT to challenge the lies and empty promises, in addition to the true soldiers and first responders who defend it.
The symbols aren’t to blame. If you want to burn and stomp, bring out effigies and voodoo dolls.
And how have those challenges been met in the past?

Yes it is about over. When a quarter back at uf can go cut a deal with a ford dealer and the walk on or 3rd stringer can’t,you can forget about the team. The whole deal is on a money train that is unstainable. Our kids have enough trouble getting in UGA why should these guys just walk in? My first game was UGA VS. Auburn 71 so I have about seen it all.

Charlie Trippi said flat out that even in the 1940s, star players got jobs in the offseason to take care of them for being great. He came to UGA because he got a better offer for a job in the summers. Paying players has been the norm for almost 100 years. Name Image and Likeness simply puts structure into it and keeps the financial giver from going to prison for tax issues. The ONLY reason this issue is gaining momentum is the NIKE/FBI/Adidas probe in hoops put wealthy donors, sponsor execs and coaches in jeopardy. Follow the money.

Yeah, I don't know what I'm talking about, of course Tyler Bray, David Fales, Blaine Gabbert, and Jeff Driskel are way more deserving than a QB who took his team to the Super Bowl. Off to watch more football to learn from the error of my ways.
He got benched before the protests. He also had an offer from dancer he turned down.

This is what I have been screaming. Regardless of all the "oppressed vs. oppressor" name calling going on today, OP you are on point. College football has been and will be minor league football in the not too distance future. The money is driving all decisions of the NCAA, the college presidents, etc. and the players can see that. I too see why the players want a piece. I can see the unfairness in the enterprise.

But the problem with this logic is that many fans will quit caring. I mean college football attendance is already falling off. I don't watch minor league baseball, do you? Anybody watch the NBA d-league? College football is the best sport bc it is the last true team sport played at a very high, competitive level. The professional leagues have devolved into players being more important than the team. The NBA has been this way since Magic and Bird, and when they stopped playing zone defense. MLB has been this way since 1994. In fact, the NFL is the most resistant to this effort but the way QBs are valued over every other player means it too is heading that way.I too stopped watching the NFL like you and pretty much all professional sports. For better or worse, college athletics is heading that way. I mean, really there are 10 competitive teams right now and the rest don't have a chance of winning it all. The power has already been whittled down to the top programs. The true question is this - how many people will stop caring and watching. Like you OP, I think a lot will.
College football has always been the minor leagues. The minor leaguers are just going to get compensated more.

Why will you quit caring? The players already are getting the cost of attendance stipend. What has that changed? Nothing.

Minor league baseball isn't a fair comparison, IMO. No one knows the players from the time they are drafted. They also don't have a TV deal for people to watch.

The NBA D-league is comprised of lower talents. The top talent from high school and college go directly into the NBA. And again, the D-league doesn't have a network contract to show them.

The NBA's usage of zone defense THIS year was up 50% back in January.

MLB didn't change much after the '94 strike. Recent years have led to shifts in strategy and philosophies (such as limiting the starters to 5 or so innings) but it's still the same. Some teams spend a lot on payrolls and George Steinbrenner did the same back in the '80s. Dave Winfield made too much money back then and Justin Verlander makes too much today. Still the same 90 feet between bases.

The QBs are getting the most money because it is the most important position in all of sports. The beauty of this is to see other teams adopting an alternative strategy and trying to win with QBs on their rookie contracts to spend elsewhere on the roster. How is this bad?

People will only stop watching because they have an infinite amount of other things to do now as opposed to when you were a kid.

You know what the complaints were in the NFL '60s? The merger.
'70s? Moving of the hash marks.
'80s? Defenders had to get their hands off WRs after 5 yards.
'90s? No huddle takes off.

Remember when Saban complained about spread offenses just a few years ago?

Every one of these moved the sport forward.

Gotta evolve, brother.

is about to be a thing of the past? The Gundy situation really bothers me. This guy wore a t-shirt of a news network that he watches. I don't even know what OAR is. But the fact that a firestorm can now be started by your star player by what NEWS NETWORK you watch is a sure sign of the times. What if Kirby wore a Fox News polo to a charity golf tournament? Are our players going to turn on us now?

I absolutely love college football but if this is the road we are going down I don't know if i'm in anymore. All matter of respect is being eroded. The players should be treated fairly but they should respect the coaches and administration of the university they play for. Throwing your coach under the bus for the news network he listens to is not ok with me. Does OAR broadcast racist stuff or what...I really don't know. If it really offended the player why did he not go into Gundy's office and talk with him like a man? Going to social media should only be a last resort and is not even a good option at that point.

I'm just afraid the sport I grew up with is going the way of the NFL. I gave the NFL up a few years ago and can honestly say I have not watched 10 seconds of NFL football in at least 3 years. Hell the whole world is changing and I admit I have no clue what to make of it. I don't have a racist bone in my body and I think some great conversations are coming out from all of this. But I don't have a lot of tolerance for this new participation trophy generation that are offended with EVERYTHING. I really don't want to lose college football but I'm afraid the end is in sight.

yes it’s racist and spews bigoted propaganda. Boo hoo if you don’t like it. The kid already said he could have handled it better. But clearly there are issues since current and former players blasted the culture there.

Reactions: JB Sterling
Yeah, I don't know what I'm talking about, of course Tyler Bray, David Fales, Blaine Gabbert, and Jeff Driskel are way more deserving than a QB who took his team to the Super Bowl. Off to watch more football to learn from the error of my ways.
Kap absolutely got blackballed for a while. However, he had offers to be a backup, and if you want to say ego, his ego couldn't handle the idea of being a back up. Personally, I don't think Kap really had a burning desire to come back to football, as much as he wanted to prove a point about what the owners did to him.

Gonna be kneeling in CFB this year. Count on it. Won't surprise me if Kang and Nicky Satan are right there with them.

Reactions: scottmac1972
College football has always been the minor leagues. The minor leaguers are just going to get compensated more.

Why will you quit caring? The players already are getting the cost of attendance stipend. What has that changed? Nothing.

Minor league baseball isn't a fair comparison, IMO. No one knows the players from the time they are drafted. They also don't have a TV deal for people to watch.

The NBA D-league is comprised of lower talents. The top talent from high school and college go directly into the NBA. And again, the D-league doesn't have a network contract to show them.

The NBA's usage of zone defense THIS year was up 50% back in January.

MLB didn't change much after the '94 strike. Recent years have led to shifts in strategy and philosophies (such as limiting the starters to 5 or so innings) but it's still the same. Some teams spend a lot on payrolls and George Steinbrenner did the same back in the '80s. Dave Winfield made too much money back then and Justin Verlander makes too much today. Still the same 90 feet between bases.

The QBs are getting the most money because it is the most important position in all of sports. The beauty of this is to see other teams adopting an alternative strategy and trying to win with QBs on their rookie contracts to spend elsewhere on the roster. How is this bad?

People will only stop watching because they have an infinite amount of other things to do now as opposed to when you were a kid.

You know what the complaints were in the NFL '60s? The merger.
'70s? Moving of the hash marks.
'80s? Defenders had to get their hands off WRs after 5 yards.
'90s? No huddle takes off.

Remember when Saban complained about spread offenses just a few years ago?

Every one of these moved the sport forward.

Gotta evolve, brother.
Anybody on this board who post or reads it on a regular basis, is more then likely not just a huge UGA fan but a huge football fan period. And we have some on here that have followed the sport for 40 years or even longer. I guarantee that even before message boards they complained about changes to the game. My personal cross to bear, I hate the targeting rule with a passion....it drives me bonkers in most cases when its called. And I am sure others have similar issues like that over that 40 years. But guess what, no matter what happened, we all kept watching. And we will all keep watching now. At some point maybe the sport evolves to a point where people quit watching, but we are no where near that point right now.

Reactions: falcondawg211
Yes it is about over. When a quarter back at uf can go cut a deal with a ford dealer and the walk on or 3rd stringer can’t,you can forget about the team. The whole deal is on a money train that is unstainable. Our kids have enough trouble getting in UGA why should these guys just walk in? My first game was UGA VS. Auburn 71 so I have about seen it all.
LOL

That has gone on for decades in CFB and CBB. A certain RB showed up on our campus driving a pretty sweet vehicle, by all accounts, in 1980. I'm sure the backup didn't.

I was personally told about some '90s basketball players and vehicles on a certain campus...only the stars got them.

I don't think you've seen it all...at all.

Reactions: ugafish
LOL

That has gone on for decades in CFB and CBB. A certain RB showed up on our campus driving a pretty sweet vehicle, by all accounts, in 1980. I'm sure the backup didn't.

I was personally told about some '90s basketball players and vehicles on a certain campus...only the stars got them.

I don't think you've seen it all...at all.
Garrison Hearst and Andre Hasting had matching white sports cars. I think 300Zs but my memory could have the car type wrong. Robert Edwards drove a tricked out brand new SUV. Just a few I can remember when around campus.

And we need to get to a point where neither Republicans or Democrats mean a damn thing. Your 2 options for president are Trump and Biden. Let that sink in.
I'm voting based on the VPs, honestly. Both of those guys are ready for the nursing home.

Deer Lowered. You believe Kap lost his job due to kneeling? I must have watched more football in that time period than you.
That's EXACTLY why he lost his job. He lost job because of folks like you that got upset that he was kneeling instead of standing for the flag. He lost his job because just like many others the flag DOES NOT stand just for patriotism. That is the part all are missing.

Reactions: ugafish
I apologize. I didn’t mean all conservatives are racists. My parents are conservative and not racists, but I’d say the racists in this thread are most likely conservatives as well.
What have you seen in this thread that is racist? I'm really curious.

One could argue the same thing for the other way around. Without athletics, many of these guys wouldn’t even get into UGA. Sure the university profits off the players but they also benefit by having an avenue to showcase their skills. Without that avenue, what would most of them be doing? I just don’t understand why only one side can be offended. Mike Gundy can’t be offended by a thing his star RB does. However, he can wear a news shirt and the RB can be offended. It makes no sense at all. Like many people, I don’t even know what that news cast is and could are less. If Gundy wants to watch that on his own time, good for him. If the RB doesn’t like it, ignore it and move on. That is what we have always done before. What has changed is the media is influencing people to rebel, question, protest, be offended, etc.
So you are saying we should keep things the way it is? We shouldn't object to racism and cop killings?

That's EXACTLY why he lost his job. He lost job because of folks like you that got upset that he was kneeling instead of standing for the flag. He lost his job because just like many others the flag DOES NOT stand just for patriotism. That is the part all are missing.
He was benched before the kneeling and he lost his job just like Flacco. Flacco just took the Denver deal unlike Kap.

yes it’s racist and spews bigoted propaganda. Boo hoo if you don’t like it. The kid already said he could have handled it better. But clearly there are issues since current and former players blasted the culture there.

Please give us examples of racism and bigotry OAN "spews."

Why is it that some of you on here are so upset that black athletes are standing up for themselves and refusing to be oppressed and treated like crap any longer? How can you be ok with oppressing anyone for that matter? So now that black athletes are using their platform to raise awareness they are wrong? Should they just shut up and run the football, catch the football and tackle? I'm not saying all black athletes are treat like crap and I am not saying all white coaches treat black athletes like crap but there are few that do. So when an athlete speaks out, he or she shouldn't have to be ridiculed for doing so. If you don't want to be called out then don't do it.
I will just be honest, I don't want anyone oppressed. But I also don't particularly like all this bleeding into sports. I completely understand why it has, and I don't blame the players for speaking up. But sports used to be the place, that if you had enough of the negativity in the rest of the world....you could escape to sports. Sports were pure and ignored all the noise. The fact that we have lost that, probably forever, that does make me sad.

Reactions: adonis.jones
Kap absolutely got blackballed for a while. However, he had offers to be a backup, and if you want to say ego, his ego couldn't handle the idea of being a back up. Personally, I don't think Kap really had a burning desire to come back to football, as much as he wanted to prove a point about what the owners did to him.
When was he offered a backup role and for which team?

Garrison Hearst and Andre Hasting had matching white sports cars. I think 300Zs but my memory could have the car type wrong. Robert Edwards drove a tricked out brand new SUV. Just a few I can remember when around campus.
I passed Hines Ward everyday at the same intersection and boy was he driving a sweet ride.

Reactions: scottmac1972
I will just be honest, I don't want anyone oppressed. But I also don't particularly like all this bleeding into sports. I completely understand why it has, and I don't blame the players for speaking up. But sports used to be the place, that if you had enough of the negativity in the rest of the world....you could escape to sports. Sports were pure and ignored all the noise. The fact that we have lost that, probably forever, that does make me sad.
I agree with you. However, a lot of this nonsense went on in the locker rooms by some coaches and now its coming to surface.

Opinions vary, but yes, college football as we know it will end. All things must end. This couldn't possibly go on forever. Personally, I thought it would end by a combination of fans not going to the stadium because the "live experience" is hellishly expensive for most people, and the current focus of concussion safety is changing the way the game is officiated and making it less and less appealing to fans.
But once politics rears it ugly head into it...as the Titanic found, the ship can only hold so much water. Just too many leaks.
The Powers That Be have worked really hard to keep politics out of college football, but these are not ordinary times. This is a full on Neo Maoist Cultural Revolution, and "they" are not going to allow you to stay in the middle. You either take their side, or suffer

Reactions: AgEngDawg
He was benched before the kneeling and he lost his job just like Flacco. Flacco just took the Denver deal unlike Kap.
Being benched and not given an opportunity are two different things. To say that there are 64 QB's in the league right now is laughable. The commissioner didn't like it and therefore he wasn't allowed to have employment in the NFL.

When was he offered a backup role and for which team?
I think he turned down a lower offer from the 49ers to stay with them. I also believe the Broncos may have offered him. Those are the two I can think of off the top of my head. I think there may have been a few more that talked with him but didn't offer when he didn't want to be a backup. I am not saying the NFL didn't perhaps spin some of this....but it was my understanding back in the day, he wanted starter offers and did not get any. So he waited, not knowing that eventually he would simply be ignored by the league as a punishment.

is about to be a thing of the past? The Gundy situation really bothers me. This guy wore a t-shirt of a news network that he watches. I don't even know what OAR is. But the fact that a firestorm can now be started by your star player by what NEWS NETWORK you watch is a sure sign of the times. What if Kirby wore a Fox News polo to a charity golf tournament? Are our players going to turn on us now?

I absolutely love college football but if this is the road we are going down I don't know if i'm in anymore. All matter of respect is being eroded. The players should be treated fairly but they should respect the coaches and administration of the university they play for. Throwing your coach under the bus for the news network he listens to is not ok with me. Does OAR broadcast racist stuff or what...I really don't know. If it really offended the player why did he not go into Gundy's office and talk with him like a man? Going to social media should only be a last resort and is not even a good option at that point.

I'm just afraid the sport I grew up with is going the way of the NFL. I gave the NFL up a few years ago and can honestly say I have not watched 10 seconds of NFL football in at least 3 years. Hell the whole world is changing and I admit I have no clue what to make of it. I don't have a racist bone in my body and I think some great conversations are coming out from all of this. But I don't have a lot of tolerance for this new participation trophy generation that are offended with EVERYTHING. I really don't want to lose college football but I'm afraid the end is in sight.

1. Gundy was an idiot for doing that.
  2. Anyone thinking he could be fired for that is an idiot.
  3. Anyone that may quit watching CFB because of stuff like this is a snowflake who should be ashamed of their weakness.

There u go. The END is near.

Opinions vary, but yes, college football as we know it will end. All things must end. This couldn't possibly go on forever. Personally, I thought it would end by a combination of fans not going to the stadium because the "live experience" is hellishly expensive for most people, and the current focus of concussion safety is changing the way the game is officiated and making it less and less appealing to fans.
But once politics rears it ugly head into it...as the Titanic found, the ship can only hold so much water. Just too many leaks.
The Powers That Be have worked really hard to keep politics out of college football, but these are not ordinary times. This is a full on Neo Maoist Cultural Revolution, and "they" are not going to allow you to stay in the middle. You either take their side, or suffer

it is the Moral Panic of our times.

Nail on head. In the future, football will be on HBO and pay per view like boxing. It also will not be in the high schools due to CTE.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT