ADVERTISEMENT

Perception Trumps Truth

He’s a terrible public speaker. He’s very narcissistic, no doubt. He’s a classic jerk. He’s a rich, frat boy asshole (most of our elected officials in DC are frat boy assholes). He will likely not be re-elected. Yet, almost every “news” article about him is less creative & more repetitive than the previous one. All quotes are partial snippets (Partial truth or selected facts is another way of LYING). “Let’s out lie him. That oughta hurt his feelings. Yeah! That’ll teach him.” And pitifully worse, the enlightened news media parrots the same, overly dramatized 5-6 partial quotes over & over as if they have new material or divined a better way to sell it. And they cluelessly & rarely ever complete or frame any of it with relevant context. They continue to state their personal assumptions based on personal bias or “micro-outrage”much more than ever approaching “whole truth.” They’re children In a schoolyard trying to oust or hurt a rival, mocking him by trying to act like him. Very intelligent play, kids!

He’s done (intentional or well meaning or not) some good things to include prison reform, calling China out for what that soulless regime actually do & have done for decades upon decades. Same for the always preening NATO and the bottomless pit of self serving cowards at the UN. And many more conservative judges!

But we’re continually treated to the same “anti-Trump” campaign like chatter from “news programs” that we expect to get 24-7 from the DNC script book. Why can’t we have a truly attractive candidate from either party? Why is that?
Why do our traditional (also historically trusted) sources of news & information consistently choose one side? The same side. Why aren’t they more balanced in providing ALL the facts and the WHOLE truth in every report or story they air or print? Why do they choose to report only selected facts “edited for content” aka narrative or worse they feverishly promote anecdotal, emotionally charged examples of bad people doing bad things to stir our fears, hatreds and jealousies instead of including how rare most of those incidents really are on the whole. Perfect divisive example is white cops killing unarmed blacks. It’s rare. Less than 10 a year among millions of encounters involving resisting arrest or verbal if not physical abuse of the arresting or an attending officer.

None of our historically trusted news sources tell us that part. So, on the surface (where most of us think & live) it seems like it happens every day everywhere. That is a big problem. It does NOTHING to help heal the divide, most of which is perception addiction and the above always limited information.But we deserve the brutal (whole) truth, right?

Whole truth is the answer that neither “side” or their handlers & funding want to address consistently or fully.

Makes me wanna vote for anyone but the Democrat candidate. If Biden and his enlightened team and our MSM have all the answers, why weren’t they shared with the previous administration? Do any of us seriously believe (with such a talented and gifted speaker) Obama’s administration spent 8 years trying to heal the division or to improve our infrastructure or to build international respect instead of buying it? They accomplished none of that. Seems they had more pressing goals.

Why can’t we have leaders in at all levels, who solve problems with long term (sustainable) solutions? Instead, we get a succession of point/counterpoint quicksand that empties our budgets nonstop. No pragmatic solutions, just more spending to keep failed processes on life support increasing more & more numbers of us beholden to government income or support.

Trump is certainly not the answer. But he should have been a long overdue wake up call for DC and for us citizens to finally recognize how incredibly inept, ineffective and comically inefficient OUR elected & appointed officials have been and continue to be. It’s not the system. It’s the people in power. Trump threw the BS flag too often, but where he threw it was almost always deserved. However, all we choose to see is a mean old man. We want Mr. Rogers. And that’s what we’re getting, another scripted role player to help us pretend everyone who smiles, likes us and wants to help us. Biden has been a stereotypical, “two-faced,” double talking, career politician for almost 50 years. But, he’s suddenly been graced with the knowledge of how to make things all better now? Wonder of wonders!

Shamefully, we the people would rather be told a comforting story than to know the whole truth. Yet, the Orange Piñata attempted to assuage our fears back in February by downplaying COVID, and now we claim we wanted the truth, the whole truth and nothing but the brutal truth all along. At least on this topic. We don’t want him to be brutally truthful about any other topic. That might hurt someone’s FEELINGS! It’s never been the message with us. It’s always been the messenger.

Our political system needs reform. Term limits. Campaign financing limits. Open books of financial data on EVERY official at every level (city, County, state & nation), not only what the IRS can or will provide A viable, more pragmatic, third party. Age limits on appointed officials. Required courses in public schools grade 1-12, complete & nonpartisan information on how our government systems work. Hello Civics.

Every tidbit of information or opinion we are exposed to today from the world of politics/marketing or news/entertainment should be taken with a grain of salt and a healthy dose of suspicion. Suspicion for who’s being influenced by whom or motivated by what. We’re all susceptible to influence peddling all the time. Be vigilant.
He's a lying mental head case who you wouldn't do business with in a million years nor trust him in a room with your wife or daughters. That should be enough for anyone not to vote for the idiot.

POLITICS-Trump-094296.jpg-e1531472715327.jpg

I never suggested that Trump's four years was entirely free from accomplishment. I said many Trumpist supporters make unfounded accusations. That is two entirely different things. After four years in office, the first two with Republican control of both houses, a total absence of accomplishment would be almost impossible.

Regardless, I will take a shot at responding to you list.

-Trump has brokered numerous trade and peace deals-

Numerous peach deals is a bit of an exaggeration. Israel/Bahrain-UAE is significant but it is far from the Deal of the century he promised regarding Israeli Palestinian peace.

I happen to agree with his aggressive stance on trade with China, but there are a crap-ton of farmers suffering because of that policy. And China is not paying the tariffs, we are.

-he has done more for the African American community than any other president in history (Google it, you'll be surprised), almost 4 million jobs created since election, created more than 400,000 manufacturing jobs since the election, African-American unemployment has recently achieved the lowest rate ever recorded-

African American employment has improved steadily since the worst of the recession in 2010. Trump was certainly able to maintain that trend but he didn't turn anything around. Also, that was all prior to the pandemic. AA unemployment is currently back to 13.2% and was at 7.2% for January 2017, the month Trump took office.

-Hispanic-American unemployment is at the lowest rate ever recorded, women’s unemployment recently reached the lowest rate in 65 years, almost 3.9 million Americans have been lifted off food stamps since the election-

See above. Same trends as with AA unemployment (maintained the trend line in place when he took office) and all true until the pandemic. Why are you ignoring the current numbers?

-as a result of the tax bill, small businesses will have the lowest top marginal tax rate in more than 80 years-

Technically true, but should say "lowest possible top marginal rate" instead as this change is not impactful for the majority of small business, who prior to the legislation were paying less that 25%.

-opened ANWR and approved Keystone XL and Dakota Access Pipelines-

Not everyone sees this as a victory, but I acknowledge it is a promise kept by Trump.

-record number of regulations eliminated-

Same as the last one. Not every regulation is a productivity-choking hindrance, but another promise kept.

-enacted regulatory relief for community banks and credit unions-

Passed with bipartisan support and I also support this.

-Obamacare individual mandate penalty GONE, the FDA approved more affordable generic drugs than ever before in history, they reformed the Medicare program to stop hospitals from overcharging low-income seniors on their drugs, signed Right-To-Try legislation, secured $6 billion in NEW funding to fight the opioid epidemic, signed VA Choice Act and VA Accountability Act, expanded VA tele-health services, walk-in-clinics, and same-day urgent primary and mental health care-

And yet, the administration continues to attempt to fully dismantle Obama-care with no plan for replacing it. Currently in court attempting to have prior conditions clause eleminited while saying "we will always protect prior conditions."

-increased our coal exports by 60 percent; U.S. oil production recently reached all-time high, United States is a net natural gas exporter for the first time since 1957-

Coal is a complex issue and is awful for the environment, oil and gas trends were well underway when Trump took office. He has certainly continued the trends, driven in large part by advances in fracking and other technologies. Again, you are also ignoring the current conditions. The gas industry is getting crushed by the pandemic.

-withdrew the United States from the job-killing Paris Climate Accord-

This is no place for a climate change debate, but suffice to say I disagree with this move.

-secured record $700 billion in military funding; $716 billion next year NATO allies are spending $69 billion more on defense since 2016-

I remember when Republicans at least pretended like they cared about deficits. I am sure balanced budgets will become priority #1 again if Biden wins.

-confirmed more circuit court judges than any other new administration-

No doubt the single biggest promise kept by Trump and the reason many people support him. This is a reason for me to vote against him, but again that is a longer conversation.

-withdrew from the horrible, one-sided Iran Deal-

We are a very long way from determining if that was the right move or not.

-moved U.S. Embassy to Jerusalem-

Why does this matter to you?

-He is building the border wall to mitigate illegal immigration saving our country billions of dollars-

And he promised us Mexico would pay for said wall. Did you donate to Steve Bannon's scam Build the Wall organization? If you think there will be a wall that stops illegal immigration erected on the southern border I also have a bridge in Brooklyn to sell you.

-I mean, Middle-East countries still have slavery and kill homosexuals in the streets with everyone cheering. What else do you got?-

I don't compare our quality of life to the middle east. I compare it to the rest of the first world countries. We are far from the world leader in a number of important categories.

I feel you're grasping for straws. Your hate of Trump has blinded you to the good that he does.

Reactions: benchwarmerdawg
My question is, we know that Trump knew how deadly the virus was early on. He said he did not want to cause a panic. I do not believe him, but lets just say he is telling the truth. With him knowing that, why the hell would he insist to continue to have political rally's in a VERY unsafe setting? These are HIS base voters he is endangering! Explain, please.....
I’m not defending Trump. Rallies are not required attendance. Are they for 8 year old kids, who have no (0) sources of information other than POTUS’s mouth? Evidently he wanted his most ardent fans to die?

I’m questioning our sanity & maturity in seeking almost always to BLAME everything we experience or imagine on one person or 1 group (simpler for life’s rookies) . We’re like crazed children fearful of our own shadows and every sound. We delight in or are desperate for a bogeyman for all seasons & reasons. We want few to no responsibilities, certainly no personal accountability for bad news, bad feelings or bad results in the grand scheme.

We want whipping boys. “Kill Piggy!” How many times must we be reminded (whether we want to admit it or not) that with us “children,” it’s all about the messenger, not the message. “For the Bible tells us so.” We’re childishly shallow and drawn to and line up to buy attractive packaging, not what’s inside. Ingredients & details (Whole Truth) bore us. Ask the news/marketing experts. They’ve had our number for decades upon decades.

WE are definitely THE problem. We claim to demand TRUTH, but we actually want only the fun, safe or entertaining parts of the “whole truth.“ We‘ve earned and deserve Trump and more like him until we learn that pretty packaging and dulcet tones are rarely our best choice ... if we choose to be adults about it all. And that seems to be our biggest challenge...:::growing up & growing past dependencies.

It’s seriously (should be) embarrassing for us how consistently we are duped by brand imaging, the same old recycled & repackaged platitudes by both parties over and over and over. We’re in a constant dreamscape hoping & wishing for or fantasizing about a benevolent emperor coming soon to free all of us little villagers from the evil dragons on the mountain. Hilarious part is that we keep voting for those same old dragons in Mr. Rogers costumes. We love a great costume accompanied by a familiar act.

WE have work to do. We’ve always had work to do. Will we ever cross over from childish blame & fantasy to more mature & pragmatic levels of work & solutions? I had hoped Trump’s revealing DC for what’s truly important to that core fraternity would wake us citizens the hell up. But, WE are (as it turns out) the real deep (sleep) State.

But, there’s still hope, right? No, wait ..... we’ve been worked by that angle for generations. Or, we could just MoveOn. Or ponder more promises & platitudes that are all too familiar, but as comforting as age old lullabies. Nap time? Oh, yeah! “That’s the ticket.” And running that one guy outta town. Yeah, that’ll make it all better for a couple weeks. Or until that celebration hangover aka REALITY comes calling.

WE will be fun to watch as always. Great for TV news/entertainment revenue. THEY (DC) won’t ever change. Don’t need to. They’re in charge. Not US! They know that all we really want are relatively good seats for all the reruns we love so much. Bless our hearts. So special. So sweet. Right, Mom?

He's a lying mental head case who you wouldn't do business with in a million years nor trust him in a room with your wife or daughters. That should be enough for anyone not to vote for the idiot.

POLITICS-Trump-094296.jpg-e1531472715327.jpg
And how many other Presidents of any country have you had personal dealings with? Did you bring your wife & daughter to spend hours & days alone with him? Didn’t think so.

He’s what he is. And despite how unsuited he is for that one act clown show in DC, he’s not one of them. But, like most of us “concerned citizens” driven by FEELINGS, you may prefer a professional role player, a career politician, whose every utterance is dictated by a survey of the moment? A representative of the people, who truly thinks for himself, but works only for his “constituents.” Brings a tear to my eye. Yes sir! That tired old routine Is a fabulously creative idea! Wonder why we haven’t thought of that before now. Wow! This will save us all. Truly revolutionary thinking. Maybe save the world, too! Yay, team! Woo hoo!

Last edited:
And how many other Presidents of any country have had personal dealings with? Did you bring your wife & daughter to spend hours & days alone with him? Didn’t think so.

He’s what he is. And despite how unsuited he is for that one act clown show in DC, he’s not one of them. But, like most of us “concerned citizens” driven by FEELINGS, you may prefer a professional role player, a career politician, whose every utterance is dictated by a survey of the moment? A representative of the people, who truly thinks for himself, but works only for his “constituents.” Brings a tear to my eye. Yes sir! That tired old routine Is a fabulously creative idea! Wonder why we haven’t thought of that before now. Wow! This will save us all. Truly revolutionary thinking. Maybe save the world, too! Yay, team! Woo hoo!
My 401K is routing for Trump! Biden has had 47 years. What makes folks think that the next 4 will get the job done?

You realize that Trump established a commission to examine voter fraud, hand picked all the members, and the commission disbanded before even issuing one document cause there was no fraud to report.

Curious as to your thoughts here.
Sounds perfect to me

He’s a terrible public speaker. He’s very narcissistic, no doubt. He’s a classic jerk. He’s a rich, frat boy asshole (most of our elected officials in DC are frat boy assholes). He will likely not be re-elected. Yet, almost every “news” article about him is less creative & more repetitive than the previous one. All quotes are partial snippets (Partial truth or selected facts is another way of LYING). “Let’s out lie him. That oughta hurt his feelings. Yeah! That’ll teach him.” And pitifully worse, the enlightened news media parrots the same, overly dramatized 5-6 partial quotes over & over as if they have new material or divined a better way to sell it. And they cluelessly & rarely ever complete or frame any of it with relevant context. They continue to state their personal assumptions based on personal bias or “micro-outrage”much more than ever approaching “whole truth.” They’re children In a schoolyard trying to oust or hurt a rival, mocking him by trying to act like him. Very intelligent play, kids!

He’s done (intentional or well meaning or not) some good things to include prison reform, calling China out for what that soulless regime actually do & have done for decades upon decades. Same for the always preening NATO and the bottomless pit of self serving cowards at the UN. And many more conservative judges!

But we’re continually treated to the same “anti-Trump” campaign like chatter from “news programs” that we expect to get 24-7 from the DNC script book. Why can’t we have a truly attractive candidate from either party? Why is that?
Why do our traditional (also historically trusted) sources of news & information consistently choose one side? The same side. Why aren’t they more balanced in providing ALL the facts and the WHOLE truth in every report or story they air or print? Why do they choose to report only selected facts “edited for content” aka narrative or worse they feverishly promote anecdotal, emotionally charged examples of bad people doing bad things to stir our fears, hatreds and jealousies instead of including how rare most of those incidents really are on the whole. Perfect divisive example is white cops killing unarmed blacks. It’s rare. Less than 10 a year among millions of encounters involving resisting arrest or verbal if not physical abuse of the arresting or an attending officer.

None of our historically trusted news sources tell us that part. So, on the surface (where most of us think & live) it seems like it happens every day everywhere. That is a big problem. It does NOTHING to help heal the divide, most of which is perception addiction and the above always limited information.But we deserve the brutal (whole) truth, right?

Whole truth is the answer that neither “side” or their handlers & funding want to address consistently or fully.

Makes me wanna vote for anyone but the Democrat candidate. If Biden and his enlightened team and our MSM have all the answers, why weren’t they shared with the previous administration? Do any of us seriously believe (with such a talented and gifted speaker) Obama’s administration spent 8 years trying to heal the division or to improve our infrastructure or to build international respect instead of buying it? They accomplished none of that. Seems they had more pressing goals.

Why can’t we have leaders in at all levels, who solve problems with long term (sustainable) solutions? Instead, we get a succession of point/counterpoint quicksand that empties our budgets nonstop. No pragmatic solutions, just more spending to keep failed processes on life support increasing more & more numbers of us beholden to government income or support.

Trump is certainly not the answer. But he should have been a long overdue wake up call for DC and for us citizens to finally recognize how incredibly inept, ineffective and comically inefficient OUR elected & appointed officials have been and continue to be. It’s not the system. It’s the people in power. Trump threw the BS flag too often, but where he threw it was almost always deserved. However, all we choose to see is a mean old man. We want Mr. Rogers. And that’s what we’re getting, another scripted role player to help us pretend everyone who smiles, likes us and wants to help us. Biden has been a stereotypical, “two-faced,” double talking, career politician for almost 50 years. But, he’s suddenly been graced with the knowledge of how to make things all better now? Wonder of wonders!

Shamefully, we the people would rather be told a comforting story than to know the whole truth. Yet, the Orange Piñata attempted to assuage our fears back in February by downplaying COVID, and now we claim we wanted the truth, the whole truth and nothing but the brutal truth all along. At least on this topic. We don’t want him to be brutally truthful about any other topic. That might hurt someone’s FEELINGS! It’s never been the message with us. It’s always been the messenger.

Our political system needs reform. Term limits. Campaign financing limits. Open books of financial data on EVERY official at every level (city, County, state & nation), not only what the IRS can or will provide A viable, more pragmatic, third party. Age limits on appointed officials. Required courses in public schools grade 1-12, complete & nonpartisan information on how our government systems work. Hello Civics.

Every tidbit of information or opinion we are exposed to today from the world of politics/marketing or news/entertainment should be taken with a grain of salt and a healthy dose of suspicion. Suspicion for who’s being influenced by whom or motivated by what. We’re all susceptible to influence peddling all the time. Be vigilant.
He most definitely is the answer give then alternative.

You realize that Trump established a commission to examine voter fraud, hand picked all the members, and the commission disbanded before even issuing one document cause there was no fraud to report.

Curious as to your thoughts here.
Yeah I wonder how Tom Fitton of judicial watch got California to remove 1.8 million illegal voters from the rolls. I guess there was no fraud there was there?

He most definitely is the answer give then alternative.

A viable third party candidate, who has fewer enemies inside the Beltway, but who can sell the idea that pragmatic choices, plans and solutions will yield more immediate (and better most of the time) results. As it currently stands, the GOP is the ONLY choice that won't sink our economy and what's left of our national scope, vision and pride. The dicey part of making that happen is for a less divisive figure to emerge as a healer and a dealer. Someone, who can be decisive without a survey every 20 minutes and who can communicate the idea of "WE the people of the UNITED states of America" effectively and consistently. We cannot survive the global stage as individuals constantly blaming each other for every wrong we experience or imagine. At some point, we have to prioritize a structured purpose at community, state and national levels. We used to say, God (spiritual purpose), family (family ties teach structural balance) and country (stronger as one selfless voice than as individual whiners) as a pecking order. Not a bad choice still.

OK, so we have established that you feel abortion is murder and that the right to life supersedes all other considerations. Given life is so precious, can you acknowledge that if Trump had struck a more serious tone earlier in the pandemic that it might have saved some lives? Do you not care about those lives? If Herman Cain had listened to the CDC instead of politicizing the issue in support of Trump he would probably still be alive, right?

Just for comparison, H1N1 is estimated to have killed between 150,000 and 575,000 people in it's first season according to the CDC, yet Obama/Biden did little to nothing to address.... didn't shut down an already floundering economy (2009).... didn't ask for or even address quarantines or wearing of masks in public, nor did any media outlet, Fox included.... if a Republican had been in the White House at that time, do you believe the same response (or lack of) would have been given? If so, why?

Reactions: wwforest
Just for comparison, H1N1 is estimated to have killed between 150,000 and 575,000 people in it's first season according to the CDC, yet Obama/Biden did little to nothing to address.... didn't shut down an already floundering economy (2009).... didn't ask for or even address quarantines or wearing of masks in public, nor did any media outlet, Fox included.... if a Republican had been in the White House at that time, do you believe the same response (or lack of) would have been given? If so, why?
I am surprised people keep mentioning H1N1 as some sort of gotcha about liberal hypocrisy. You omitted several key facts in your comparison.

H1N1 global deaths: 151k - 575k (estimate)
This was between April 12th 2009 and April 10th 2010, so twelve months.

H1N1 US deaths: 8868 - 18,306 (estimate)
This calculates to between 3% and 6% of all global deaths.

Covid19 globals deaths: 929k through September 14th.
Covid19 US deaths: 194k
The US currently accounts for 21% of global deaths.

Covid19 has only been widespread for about eight months, the total numbers were curtailed by a global shutdown, global deaths have already greatly exceeded H1N1 and we are far from done with the current situation.

Given the above, help me understand why you think this is a favorable comparison for Trump?

Last edited:
Reactions: celticdawg
I am surprised people keep mentioning H1N1 as some sort of gotcha about liberal hypocrisy. You omitted several key facts in your comparison.

Covid19 has only been widespread for about eight months, the total numbers were curtailed by a global shutdown, global deaths have already greatly exceeded H1N1 and we are far from done with the current situation.

Given the above, help me understand why you think this is a favorable comparison for Trump?

You answer my question.... then I'll answer yours...

80 million infected in the US. Zero action taken by Obama/Biden to prepare or prevent the spread. Highly infectious disease. If it was as deadly as Covid millions would have died. Obama administration and America was fortunate it turned out to be a nothing burger. However, That was the only reason we came out unscathed. But, It was an administrative failure on all fronts.

That's real funny. Willdup asked a question and instead of answering his question when you responded to him, you just went right ahead and asked a question and now you want an answer first. SMH

1. H1N1 started in the US so we had much less/no time to prepare.
  2. Within the first week after the first detected infection on April 15th, the CDC had publically reported the new virus, begun work on a vaccine and activated the Emergency Operations Center.
  3. Thirteen days after the first case, the FDA approved the a H1N1 test and the CDC released CDC Interim Guidance on Closing Schools and Childcare Facilities, recommending a 7-day dismissal in affected schools and childcare facilities with laboratory-confirmed cases of influenza A H1N1 virus.
  4. May 1st the CDC updated the CDC Interim Guidance on Closing Schools and Childcare Facilities, recommending affected communities with lab-confirmed cases of influenza A H1N1 consider adopting school dismissal and childcare closing measures, including closing for up to 14 days depending on the extent and severity of influenza illness.
  5. By May 5th, 980 schools were dismissed due to H1N1 affecting 607k students.
That's the response in just the first three weeks. We didn't have the warning of seeing severe illness and death in Asia and Europe for several months before needing to respond and we still ended up with a death total roughly equal to between the last week to three weeks of Covid19 deaths. We also suffered far fewer deaths as a percentage of total deaths than the rest of the world, even though it started here.

Your characterization that Obama/Biden did little to nothing in response is proven incorrect in both the actions taken and the results when compared to Trump's Covid19 response.

So again, why do you feel this is such a favorable comparison for the current administration?

80 million infected in the US. Zero action taken by Obama/Biden to prepare or prevent the spread. Highly infectious disease. If it was as deadly as Covid millions would have died. Obama administration and America was fortunate it turned out to be a nothing burger. However, That was the only reason we came out unscathed. But, It was an administrative failure on all fronts.

Thanks Deadly.....You saved me the trouble....

This is not a debate about lethality, it's a debate about SCALE.... unless Obama mystically foreknew that "only" 12,500 people would die, he was malfeasant in his response. From the time H1N1 was reported in April 2009, Obama's only public comment was 9 months later in January when he "strongly urged" Americans to get the H1N1 shot. 60-80 million infected in this country could have easily turned into 2-4 million dead had it the same 3.5% death rate as COVID. Unlike COVID, H1N1 killed primarily younger people with no pre-existing conditions according to the CDC.

The WHO also reported several years later that possibly tens of thousands more died from viral pnuemonia as a result of H1N1 in subsequent months.

I was 44 years old at the time.... I remember it well. Schools in some parts closed, hospitals began small scale quarantining based on the regionality of the outbreak, but none of this was federally mandated or advised. Churches weren't shut down, people weren't sent home from their jobs. Nobody told anybody to wear a mask, and we didn't release felons from prison while elderly were hoarded into nursing homes where they died unnecessarily.

I'm still waiting for a response to my question..... if a Republican had been President in 2009, would he have gotten a pass from the media like Obama did? If so, why?

Reactions: wwforest
  2. Within the first week after the first detected infection on April 15th, the CDC had publically reported the new virus, begun work on a vaccine and activated the Emergency Operations Center.
  3. Thirteen days after the first case, the FDA approved the a H1N1 test and the CDC released CDC Interim Guidance on Closing Schools and Childcare Facilities, recommending a 7-day dismissal in affected schools and childcare facilities with laboratory-confirmed cases of influenza A H1N1 virus.
  4. May 1st the CDC updated the CDC Interim Guidance on Closing Schools and Childcare Facilities, recommending affected communities with lab-confirmed cases of influenza A H1N1 consider adopting school dismissal and childcare closing measures, including closing for up to 14 days depending on the extent and severity of influenza illness.
That's the response in just the first three weeks. We didn't have the warning of seeing severe illness and death in Asia and Europe for several months before needing to respond and we still ended up with a death total roughly equal to between the last week to three weeks of Covid19 deaths. We also suffered far fewer deaths as a percentage of total cases than the rest of the world, even though it started here.

Your characterization that Obama/Biden did little to nothing in response is proven incorrect in both the actions taken and the results when compared to Trump's Covid19 response.

So again, why do you feel this is such a favorable comparison for the current administration?

Once again.... you failed to answer my question.... see my response below. And for clarity's sake, the CDC guidelines were not given force of law, nor did they result in any significant directives from the White House.

This is not a debate about lethality, it's a debate about SCALE.... unless Obama mystically foreknew that "only" 12,500 people would die, he was malfeasant in his response. From the time H1N1 was reported in April 2009, Obama's only public comment was 9 months later in January when he "strongly urged" Americans to get the H1N1 shot. 60-80 million infected in this country could have easily turned into 2-4 million dead had it the same 3.5% death rate as COVID. Unlike COVID, H1N1 killed primarily younger people with no pre-existing conditions according to the CDC.

The WHO also reported several years later that possibly tens of thousands more died from viral pnuemonia as a result of H1N1 in subsequent months.

I was 44 years old at the time.... I remember it well. Schools in some parts closed, hospitals began small scale quarantining based on the regionality of the outbreak, but none of this was federally mandated or advised. Churches weren't shut down, people weren't sent home from their jobs. Nobody told anybody to wear a mask, and we didn't release felons from prison while elderly were hoarded into nursing homes where they died unnecessarily.

I'm still waiting for a response to my question..... if a Republican had been President in 2009, would he have gotten a pass from the media like Obama did? If so, why?
Wrong, much of the closings were advised by the CDC starting less than two weeks after confirmation of the first case. See my post above.

It's not like we didn't begin to develop a sense for the mortality rate as soon as cases began to grow. That's like saying that Trump would have done an even worse job if Covid19 were five times more deadly than it is. That is a weak strawman argument.

And in other news. Who's really running for president, Biden or Harris? I'll let Joe answer for us.

It's not like we didn't begin to develop a sense for the mortality rate as soon as cases began to grow. That's like saying that Trump would have done an even worse job if Covid19 were five times more deadly than it is. That is a weak strawman argument.

I can see I'm not going to get an answer..... which is actually the answer i was looking for.

My goal was not to "win" an argument..... it was a rhetorical question I presented to you....

I wanted to see if you were an intelligent, open minded person that might concede that the media is far from objective in its reporting, or if you were just another liberal ideologue with above average Google skills..... thanks for clarifying.

Reactions: oldmandawg
I can see I'm not going to get an answer..... which is actually the answer i was looking for.

My goal was not to "win" an argument..... it was a rhetorical question I presented to you....

I wanted to see if you were an intelligent, open minded person that might concede that the media is far from objective in its reporting, or if you were just another liberal ideologue with above average Google skills..... thanks for clarifying.
What exactly should the media have called out? The 200k deaths? The significantly worse performance of the US response compared to the rest of the world? The squandering of several months time to prepare? No, that is today's scenario, not 2009.

I have acknowledged in this thread that the media is not objective. This is not even open for debate by any reasonable people. So what is your point? Are you saying that because the media treated 12k deaths differently than 200k deaths that this somehow makes the failures equal? Or do you even have a point?

What exactly is the headline the NY Times should have written in November of 2009?

So, to finally answer your question, given what was happening in this country economically in 2009, I suspect the the press would not have had a much bigger focus on an illness that killed 12k people over the course of a year, regardless of which party held the White House. Would there have been more focus if John McCain were President? Probably so. Given we were attempting to recover from a near catastrophic economic collapse (instead of enjoying the greatest economy in the history of the world, as Trump says), the press had plenty else to focus on.

Last edited:

The right and left are both equally guilty of propaganda and half truths. One side publishes and article, the other rebuts with one from a cadre of politically run outlets.

OK, so we have established that you feel abortion is murder and that the right to life supersedes all other considerations. Given life is so precious, can you acknowledge that if Trump had struck a more serious tone earlier in the pandemic that it might have saved some lives? Do you not care about those lives? If Herman Cain had listened to the CDC instead of politicizing the issue in support of Trump he would probably still be alive, right?

has it been determined when and where the exact moment Herman Cain contracted the China Virus? I guess it is convenient to assume he got it at the rally. I’ll shut up and listen.

Reactions: Deadlyputter
has it been determined when and where the exact moment Herman Cain contracted the China Virus? I guess it is convenient to assume he got it at the rally. I’ll shut up and listen.
Herman Cain was high risk and attended a rally, indoors, with thousands of people, where almost no one was distancing or wearing masks. Every fact I listed goes against CDC guidelines for avoiding illness. He tested positive nine days later, which certainly fits within the proper time frame. Science and statistics suggest the rally is the most likely place he was exposed, but he may have been exposed traveling to or from the rally as well. Would that somehow make the fact that he ignored all CDC recommendations and died somehow more palatable?

You stated that "From the time H1N1 was reported in April 2009, Obama's only public comment was 9 months later in January when he "strongly urged" Americans to get the H1N1 shot."

This statement is dead wrong and yet another example of a completely manufactured narrative. Obama had a press conference ten days after the initial outbreak. Highlights included:
  • Instructed Department of Education to provide direction to schools
  • State Department coordinated efforts with eleven other nations
  • Stated clearly this was not like the regular flu (hmm, interesting concept)
  • Reminded americans they all had a role to play
  • Struck a serious tone
  • Praised the Bush administration for stockpiling drugs and handing off a response plan during the transition (another interesting concept)
So, you claim he didn't say a word about H1N1 for nine months and it took me one google search to prove that statement spectacularly wrong.

Compare the content of that press conference with the first month of statements from Trump (it is going away, same as the flu, anyone who wants a test can get one, fifteen going to zero, we have it under control).

You stated that "From the time H1N1 was reported in April 2009, Obama's only public comment was 9 months later in January when he "strongly urged" Americans to get the H1N1 shot."

This statement is dead wrong and yet another example of a completely manufactured narrative. Obama had a press conference ten days after the initial outbreak. Highlights included:
  • Instructed Department of Education to provide direction to schools
  • State Department coordinated efforts with eleven other nations
  • Stated clearly this was not like the regular flu (hmm, interesting concept)
  • Reminded americans they all had a role to play
  • Struck a serious tone
  • Praised the Bush administration for stockpiling drugs and handing off a response plan during the transition (another interesting concept)
So, you claim he didn't say a word about H1N1 for nine months and it took me one google search to prove that statement spectacularly wrong.

Compare the content of that press conference with the first month of statements from Trump (it is going away, same as the flu, anyone who wants a test can get one, fifteen going to zero, we have it under control).

That's funny.
Instructed the Department of Education to provide direction? -- That's funny, Why not the CDC, The experts?
State Dept coordinated efforts with 7 nations? -- How about 147 nations like Trump?
Stated clearly this was not the flu.-- Hahahahah! still no CDC.
Reminded (so serious) Americans they all had a roll to play. -- Daily briefings? Task Force? NAH too much trouble.
Serious tone? -- You're kidding right?
Praising Bush for leaving a stockpile of drugs. Interesting concept-- You're right, Obama left Trump with nothing! Trump had to scramble to get the supplies the country needed to fight the virus. And by hard work, ingenuity and harnessing the military and private industry he succeeded .
Obama and Biden were too busy inventing the Russia collusion hoax, sending cash to Iran, manufacturing to China, hobnobbing with Hollywood, making deals to spend Trillions on "climate change", and developing the TPP which would have completed the ruination of our country's manufacturing capabilities. They left the cupboards bare. I can't think of anything Obama/Biden did right.

Herman Cain was high risk and attended a rally, indoors, with thousands of people, where almost no one was distancing or wearing masks. Every fact I listed goes against CDC guidelines for avoiding illness. He tested positive nine days later, which certainly fits within the proper time frame. Science and statistics suggest the rally is the most likely place he was exposed, but he may have been exposed traveling to or from the rally as well. Would that somehow make the fact that he ignored all CDC recommendations and died somehow more palatable?

well since the narrative is that Trump killed Herm

And he may have been exposed after he was home, but since it doesn’t fit the narrative......

You know what I like most? That Herman Cain was free to choose which guidelines he followed. Do you ever exceed the speed limit in your car? Work on your own outlets? Just wanna make sure your on the straight and narrow in all aspects of your life.
Herman took a risk, Herman died but it was his choice. I just wonder how all those babies feel about being sucked out of their Mothers womb?

Reactions: Deadlyputter
That's funny.
Instructed the Department of Education to provide direction? -- That's funny, Why not the CDC, The experts?
State Dept coordinated efforts with 7 nations? -- How about 147 nations like Trump?
Stated clearly this was not the flu.-- Hahahahah! still no CDC.
Reminded (so serious) Americans they all had a roll to play. -- Daily briefings? Task Force? NAH too much trouble.
Serious tone? -- You're kidding right?
Praising Bush for leaving a stockpile of drugs. Interesting concept-- You're right, Obama left Trump with nothing! Trump had to scramble to get the supplies the country needed to fight the virus. And by hard work, ingenuity and harnessing the military and private industry he succeeded .
Obama and Biden were too busy inventing the Russia collusion hoax, sending cash to Iran, manufacturing to China, hobnobbing with Hollywood, making deals to spend Trillions on "climate change", and developing the TPP which would have completed the ruination of our country's manufacturing capabilities. They left the cupboards bare. I can't think of anything Obama/Biden did right.
You are wrong again and again and again. I keep proving you wrong and you keep coming back for more. I posted this above but you obviously didn't read it.

So the CDC led the effort from the beginning.

So to summarize:
"Obama did or said nothing for nine months!"
No, he spoke directly to the american people inside of two weeks and clearly and directly communicated the seriousness of the situation.

"OK, he did something but he didn't involve the CDC!"
No, the CDC led from the very beginning.

"Obama left Trump with nothing!"
No, he left a detailed playbook and a pandemic response task force that was, depending on the source, intentionally dismantled by Trump or allowed to be subsumed by other agencies. Also, we had several months notice of the virus given what we saw in China and Europe and still face a critical PPE shortage months into our response.

Also, the pandemic came in Trump's FOURTH YEAR IN OFFICE! Blaming a bare cupboard on the prior administration is just the kind of "I'm not responsible at all" comment we expect from y'all.

"Hrr drr, russia hoax, celebrities, climate change!"
Deflection, deflection, change the subject, libtards suck! Thanks you for closing out the discussion by showing you have nothing else on the topic to share.

Last edited:
Its the TRUTH...and like everythng else Liberals have a Problem with the Truth....Everything spewed by CNN, MSNBC and NYT, WAPO et al... is Gospel to the Sheeple.....carry on with your delusional life

It is quite rich for you to rail about others “not being interested in the truth” and being “sheeple” without seeing the irony of your position.

but par for the course with Trumpons.

You are wrong again and again and again. I keep proving you wrong and you keep coming back for more. I posted this above but you obviously didn't read it.

So the CDC led the effort from the beginning.

So to summarize:
"Obama did or said nothing for nine months!"
No, he spoke directly to the american people inside of two weeks and clearly and directly communicated the seriousness of the situation.

"OK, he did something but he didn't involve the CDC!"
No, the CDC led from the very beginning.

"Obama left Trump with nothing!"
No, he left a detailed playbook and a pandemic response task force that was, depending on the source, intentionally dismantled by Trump or allowed to be subsumed by other agencies. Also, we had several months notice of the virus given what we saw in China and Europe and still face a critical PPE shortage months into our response.

Also, the pandemic came in Trump's FOURTH YEAR IN OFFICE! Blaming a bare cupboard on the prior administration is just the kind of "I'm not responsible at all" comment we expect from y'all.

"Hrr drr, russia hoax, celebrities, climate change!"
Deflection, deflection, change the subject, libtards suck! Thanks you for closing out the discussion by showing you have nothing else on the topic to share.

Agreed. And also conveniently ignored out of hand by the Trumpon blind followers is the fact that Trump had been in office for 3 full years before the first confirmed US case of Covid hit. He also had an extensive pentagon report that was completed and sent to the WH in Jan 2017 that was waiting for him on his desk on DAY 1 of his presidency that he completely ignored. The report was all about the threat of a domestic pandemic hitting the US at large & specifically listed a coronavirus type virus as the most likely culprit for a pandemic. The report also went on to list in detail all the many steps that needed to be taken within the government to be prepared to handle such an event well & also detailed extensively the many deficiencies that existed in the government toward such an effort that would need to be corrected in order to handle such a coronavirus well as a country. Almost none of those steps were taken by the Trump administration. The pentagon report proved quite prophetic. Had it been taken seriously many lives could have been saved.

It is quite rich for you to rail about others “not being interested in the truth” and being “sheeple” without seeing the irony of your position.

but par for the course with Trumpons.
The Trumpists love to complain about biased media, but many seem to get their information from Hannity, Tucker Carlson and Mark Levin (top of my list of odious right-wing propagandists). Like with this thread, fact checking their statements and accusations doesn't even require much of an effort.

well since the narrative is that Trump killed Herm

And he may have been exposed after he was home, but since it doesn’t fit the narrative......

You know what I like most? That Herman Cain was free to choose which guidelines he followed. Do you ever exceed the speed limit in your car? Work on your own outlets? Just wanna make sure your on the straight and narrow in all aspects of your life.
Herman took a risk, Herman died but it was his choice. I just wonder how all those babies feel about being sucked out of their Mothers womb?
You are correct that Herman Cain made his choice and he died. I have been saying for months, I am supportive of people ignoring the science and CDC recommendations as long as they pledge to stay home if they get sick. We have lost hundreds of healthcare workers to Covid19 and unlike Herman Cain, they don't get to choose whether they follow the science or not.

I understand that for you and others, every argument comes back to abortion. While i disagree, I respect your position. However, I am curious if the lives of the long list of dead healthcare workers matter to you as much as lives lost to abortion? If so, and you believe in the sanctity of all life, it seems you should be highly supportive of the CDC recommendations to reduce risk and slow the spread of the virus.

You are correct that Herman Cain made his choice and he died. I have been saying for months, I am supportive of people ignoring the science and CDC recommendations as long as they pledge to stay home if they get sick. We have lost hundreds of healthcare workers to Covid19 and unlike Herman Cain, they don't get to choose whether they follow the science or not.

I understand that for you and others, every argument comes back to abortion. While i disagree, I respect your position. However, I am curious if the lives of the long list of dead healthcare workers matter to you as much as lives lost to abortion? If so, and you believe in the sanctity of all life, it seems you should be highly supportive of the CDC recommendations to reduce risk and slow the spread of the virus.

I will say this and you will likely disagree, but Healthcare workers assume some risk when choosing that profession. That is obvious. BLM says Law Enforcement assumes that risk so violence against them is ok. Now when it comes to human babies...what choice do they have? They are the most precious, innocent lives that can be lost. So no, the lives lost by healthcare workers do not matter to me as much as those people (yes they are people) that are murdered by no choice of their own, only because the mother does not want to take responsibility for her poor choice (don’t go down the rabbit hole of rape please, that’s different). So ya, I will place babies lives above those that chose to assume risk in their profession. I assumed a hell of a lot of risk on my 10 years of active duty, and I will never not stand up for those that can’t stand up for themselves, regardless of race or age.

I will say this and you will likely disagree, but Healthcare workers assume some risk when choosing that profession. That is obvious. BLM says Law Enforcement assumes that risk so violence against them is ok. Now when it comes to human babies...what choice do they have? They are the most precious, innocent lives that can be lost. So no, the lives lost by healthcare workers do not matter to me as much as those people (yes they are people) that are murdered by no choice of their own, only because the mother does not want to take responsibility for her poor choice (don’t go down the rabbit hole of rape please, that’s different). So ya, I will place babies lives above those that chose to assume risk in their profession. I assumed a hell of a lot of risk on my 10 years of active duty, and I will never not stand up for those that can’t stand up for themselves, regardless of race or age.
I agree that acceptance of risk should be a factor in choice of profession, as I am sure it was with you and your choice to join the military. That is a fair point.

I understand how someone arrives at your view regarding abortion and I respect it. It does render any discussion of other policy topics almost impossible (as they always return to abortion), but that is fine. Cheers and good health to you, sir and thank you for your service.

I agree that acceptance of risk should be a factor in choice of profession, as I am sure it was with you and your choice to join the military. That is a fair point.

I understand how someone arrives at your view regarding abortion and I respect it. It does render any discussion of other policy topics almost impossible (as they always return to abortion), but that is fine. Cheers and good health to you, sir and thank you for your service.

thanks and agree, I will just never be able to understand why abortion is a political issue. How people can justify it rocks me to my core. It seems like such an easy answer.

Reactions: willdup
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT