ADVERTISEMENT

Tennessee GOP

Dawg 'n IT

War Daddy
Gold Member
Jan 31, 2002
While my expressed views on a variety of issues over the past several years have resulted in me being called a "Trumper", I have been quite open about the fact that I despise both major parties (not the people they represent).

Concerning the shenanigans in Tennessee, does anyone have a good reason for expulsion at all beyond political optics? Without knowing the full details, I don't think anyone needs to be removed from committees or their office for anything other than an actual violation of their constitutional duty. A differing opinion is not a good reason to silence an elected official. I don't care which party does it.

So can someone help me understand why the move to expell members was legitimate and wasn't at least an all or nothing deal for Republicans?

Are the voters who flipped to spare the one member Johnson compromised as to create a new false flag since now even the gun control debate is being overshadowed by charges of racism? I haven't seen the roll or a post identifying who spared Johnson, but those who spared her have served up racial optics on a platter.

What an absolute circus in Tennessee. If the GOP wanted to make a political statement then they should have expelled all participants. By giving a pass to at least 1, they have now created an unnecessary political issue out of thin air and the Democrats have jumped all over it.

Plenty of conservatives in this thread aren't happy with going soft on Johnson.

I think the problem is they actively joined and participated in the disruption that halted the session. One used a bullhorn like he was a Union head screaming to a crowd outside. They became the protest leaders. Disruptions have occurred in legislatures in other states, and we can debate appropriate punishment, but it appears TN wanted to nip it in the bud. If protests are allowed in a State House Well, the people’s houses would effectively cease to exist as a body.

Just as the left was beginning to make dumb decision after dumb decision politically, the pubs always have to have a hold my beer moment. Show how stupid they can be too. These guys lead a protest right there. But this is small potatoes, and a much bigger issue is on the agenda there. They look like fools at this point. Made martyrs out of these morons.

While my expressed views on a variety of issues over the past several years have resulted in me being called a "Trumper", I have been quite open about the fact that I despise both major parties (not the people they represent).

Concerning the shenanigans in Tennessee, does anyone have a good reason for expulsion at all beyond political optics? Without knowing the full details, I don't think anyone needs to be removed from committees or their office for anything other than an actual violation of their constitutional duty. A differing opinion is not a good reason to silence an elected official. I don't care which party does it.

So can someone help me understand why the move to expell members was legitimate and wasn't at least an all or nothing deal for Republicans?

Are the voters who flipped to spare the one member Johnson compromised as to create a new false flag since now even the gun control debate is being overshadowed by charges of racism? I haven't seen the roll or a post identifying who spared Johnson, but those who spared her have served up racial optics on a platter.

What an absolute circus in Tennessee. If the GOP wanted to make a political statement then they should have expelled all participants. By giving a pass to at least 1, they have now created an unnecessary political issue out of thin air and the Democrats have jumped all over it.

They incited an insurrection

Reactions: SLC_Dawg
I think the problem is they actively joined and participated in the disruption that halted the session. One used a bullhorn like he was a Union head screaming to a crowd outside. They became the protest leaders. Disruptions have occurred in legislatures in other states, and we can debate appropriate punishment, but it appears TN wanted to nip it in the bud. If protests are allowed in a State House Well, the people’s houses would effectively cease to exist as a body.
And why not hold Johnson accountable for participating?

Just as the left was beginning to make dumb decision after dumb decision politically, the pubs always have to have a hold my beer moment. Show how stupid they can be too. These guys lead a protest right there. But this is small potatoes, and a much bigger issue is on the agenda there. They look like fools at this point. Made martyrs out of these morons.
Couldn’t agree more. I don’t know what if any reasoning there was for expelling the two young black guys but not the middle aged white woman, but the optics are absolutely horrible. The two black former reps are now national figures and will garner sympathy from a national audience.

In their efforts to demonstrate their bonafides to the Trumpists, Republicans will continue to step on their own junk and hurt their efforts in general elections. It’s a huge problem and I have no idea what they do about it.

And why not hold Johnson accountable for participating?
They did try. Were one vote short. Maybe she had more friends than a few 20 something’s newly elected. She is 60 and has been there a while. My only thought.

Couldn’t agree more. I don’t know what if any reasoning there was for expelling the two young black guys but not the middle aged white woman, but the optics are absolutely horrible. The two black former reps are now national figures and will garner sympathy from a national audience.

In their efforts to demonstrate their bonafides to the Trumpists, Republicans will continue to step on their own junk and hurt their efforts in general elections. It’s a huge problem and I have no idea what they do about it.
They did try to expel her. Came up one vote short. My guess is she has been there a while. She is 60 years old. The other two are 27 and 28. May not have friends willing to give them any benefit of the doubt. That is my devils advocate thought. Of course, we know the racial playbook is being run now. That big huge headline never mentions the one vote short issue. They act like the gop just made the decision not to expel her. They put her to a vote just like the others.

Last edited:

Trump has so badly softened the Republican party's collective brain. They used to run ragged w/r/t strategy over the Dems, and now as you say, they've completely lost their way, not just on policy, but on basic things like this.

I am sure we have some on here with close connections in Tennessee, in which case they can confirm that the Democratic Party in Tennessee is all but moribund. And now you go and do this?

As I saw someone say, in trying to shut Pearson up, they've handed him a megaphone.

Trump has so badly softened the Republican party's collective brain. They used to run ragged w/r/t strategy over the Dems, and now as you say, they've completely lost their way, not just on policy, but on basic things like this.

I am sure we have some on here with close connections in Tennessee, in which case they can confirm that the Democratic Party in Tennessee is all but moribund. And now you go and do this?

As I saw someone say, in trying to shut Pearson up, they've handed him a megaphone.
Sound familiar. Especially that last sentence. I can’t figure out who to relate that to. Can you?

This was a dumb decision regardless. The playbook will be run down there despite all members facing expulsion getting the same process.

Sound familiar. Especially that last sentence. I can’t figure out who to relate that to. Can you?
If you are talking about Trump, don't be silly. He is and has been for 8 years now and will continue to be the meal ticket for our entire political commentariat and cable news industry.

Yet the indictment isn't even the fourth biggest story this week.

If you are talking about Trump, don't be silly. He is and has been for 8 years now and will continue to be the meal ticket for our entire political commentariat and cable news industry.

Yet the indictment isn't even the fourth biggest story this week.
He got indicted and raised four million in a day. From new people. Trump turned the indictment into a rally for him. I said the pubs made a stupid move here. It is ok to do the same. You guys are the king of stupid.

It isn’t a story anymore because everyone has called it bs. Even most left attorneys have said, this is a trainwreck. Really?

They did try. Were one vote short. Maybe she had more friends than a few 20 something’s newly elected. She is 60 and has been there a while. My only thought.
Yep, and they should identify those who voted for expulsion in the other 2 cases while feeling Johnson didn't deserve it. Those people have stirred up a hornets nest that will harm the Right nationally over something that's already silly.

He got indicted and raised four million in a day. From new people. Trump turned the indictment into a rally for him. I said the pubs made a stupid move here. It is ok to do the same. You guys are the king of stupid.

It isn’t a story anymore because everyone has called it bs. Even most left attorneys have said, this is a trainwreck. Really?
Right - so nothing's changed.

Trump is still head of the Republican party, with the loudest voice in that party, if not the loudest voice of all Americans.

He's already such a woe-is-me guy that we can't say he was martyred here, and we all know that he's not going to jail. Status quo.

I disagree that it's dumb, because if he broke the law he has to be prosecuted, but I think it's inconsequential in that sense too, as we know how the wealthy and well-connected are treated in this country. not even a speed bump, as you say.

They incited an insurrection
Incited and participated in a riot in the capital that spilled into the floor of the house. I would think a suspension would be warranted as an expulsion makes them look like a martyr. Folks on both sides of the isle need to be held accountable for their actions (insider trading, twisting truth and related) . These folks most likely crossed a line, like the folks that stormed the capital, thus they should be held accountable. I think the expulsion may have gone to far just as I think the punishment for the 1/6 folks may have gone too far but many will think again before participating in these type events. If only we would prosecute someone in legislature for insider trading - I volunteer Perdue and Pelosi….

Reactions: LRA Dawg
Incited and participated in a riot in the capital that spilled into the floor of the house. I would think a suspension would be warranted as an expulsion makes them look like a martyr. Folks on both sides of the isle need to be held accountable for their actions (insider trading, twisting truth and related) . These folks most likely crossed a line, like the folks that stormed the capital, thus they should be held accountable. I think the expulsion may have gone to far just as I think the punishment for the 1/6 folks may have gone too far but many will think again before participating in these type events. If only we would prosecute someone in legislature for insider trading - I volunteer Perdue and Pelosi….
there was no damage no arrests and no violence in Tennessee. it seems like there was some rules violation where they were standing too close to the podium (?), but my point is as you say, they could've handled this in a much more clever way.

and yes, there are several lawmakers calling for insider trading rules

Reactions: LawDawg6

Not sure about all the details of the last protest or the other two people, but one of the guys Justin Jones was arrested multiple times during the Floyd protests before he was elected and the charges were dropped like most of the Floyd protest charges, including assaulting an officer. He was also arrested on agg assault for throwing an object into a moving car during a protest.

-They include misdemeanor assault and assault of an officer, as well as resisting arrest, disrupting a meeting, disorderly conduct, criminal trespassing, obstruction of a passageway and aggravated littering.

In June, the District Attorney's office issued a new indictment against Jones on two reckless endangerment charges after they say he threw a traffic cone into the driver's side window of a moving car outside the capitol.

Reactions: zingerdawg
Yep, and they should identify those who voted for expulsion in the other 2 cases while feeling Johnson didn't deserve it. Those people have stirred up a hornets nest that will harm the Right nationally over something that's already silly.
there was no damage no arrests and no violence in Tennessee. it seems like there was some rules violation where they were standing too close to the podium (?), but my point is as you say, they could've handled this in a much more clever way.

and yes, there are several lawmakers calling for insider trading rules
If protesters went into the legislative chamber there SHOULD have been arrest. If there were no violence then charge with simple trespassing. No difference than 1/6 in my eyes for folks that just waltzed thru the capital, the folks on 1/6 that touched cops, now that is a different story.

If protesters went into the legislative chamber there SHOULD have been arrest. If there were no violence then charge with simple trespassing. No difference than 1/6 in my eyes for folks that just waltzed thru the capital, the folks on 1/6 that touched cops, now that is a different story.
Not really talking about the protesters here. I'm referring to the 3 representatives who joined in and were up for expulsion vote. Why vote to expell only 2 of the 3 if it's about making a statement? Wrong message delivered.

Right - so nothing's changed.

Trump is still head of the Republican party, with the loudest voice in that party, if not the loudest voice of all Americans.

He's already such a woe-is-me guy that we can't say he was martyred here, and we all know that he's not going to jail. Status quo.

I disagree that it's dumb, because if he broke the law he has to be prosecuted, but I think it's inconsequential in that sense too, as we know how the wealthy and well-connected are treated in this country. not even a speed bump, as you say.
Plenty of presidents have broken the law. This isn’t new. The don’t get prosecuted at the local level because of this cluster f right here. Every Republican da on the planet now can run in His district claiming he will indict Biden. You can indict a ham sandwich.

If you do this, you don’t do it for political reasons only nice. It isn’t just dumb. It is stupid. People passed in this case for 7 years. There ain’t enough there. We have changed a long standing precedent in this country for an nda gone wrong. For a case that is thin as can be. Most attorneys have read the indictment and can’t figure out his crime. It isn’t specific. Almost like he wanted to indict him and that is all. This is what will occur. More party wars.

USA Today had a brilliant thought imo today. Biden should pardon trump. You want to galvanize the centrists and soccer moms. Make them forget about how little is in their checking account right now compared to four years ago, pardon trump. Say you want to reunite the country. Leaves him no where to go. Nothing to say. Makes him sound more jaded that he already is.

Not really talking about the protesters here. I'm referring to the 3 representatives who joined in and were up for expulsion vote. Why vote to expell only 2 of the 3 if it's about making a statement? Wrong message delivered.
@WGrovedawg have some background on why one of the legislators may have been singled out over the other ones. As I noted above, if suspension were an option, it would have been a better option IMHO. Regardless, all 3 were wrong and should be held accountable.

@WGrovedawg have some background on why one of the legislators may have been singled out over the other ones. As I noted above, if suspension were an option, it would have been a better option IMHO. Regardless, all 3 were wrong and should be held accountable.
I believe the one not kicked out apologized for taking over the floor and disrupting the proceedings, Justin Pearson, the other one kicked out, didn't apologize, compared himself to a black jesus and that he would be resurrected Sunday, he is a playing a part, he talks like a MLK impersonator

Last edited:
* Attention Mods: I HATE political posts on this dedicated college sports forum!!!
I’m a very long time subscriber here solely to read about UGA sports, not for political commentary! - How about keeping the currently divisive cancer of politics out of this space where possible.
IMO - If you want political discussion - go elsewhere.

Reactions: nice marmot
Plenty of presidents have broken the law. This isn’t new. The don’t get prosecuted at the local level because of this cluster f right here. Every Republican da on the planet now can run in His district claiming he will indict Biden. You can indict a ham sandwich.

If you do this, you don’t do it for political reasons only nice. It isn’t just dumb. It is stupid. People passed in this case for 7 years. There ain’t enough there. We have changed a long standing precedent in this country for an nda gone wrong. For a case that is thin as can be. Most attorneys have read the indictment and can’t figure out his crime. It isn’t specific. Almost like he wanted to indict him and that is all. This is what will occur. More party wars.

USA Today had a brilliant thought imo today. Biden should pardon trump. You want to galvanize the centrists and soccer moms. Make them forget about how little is in their checking account right now compared to four years ago, pardon trump. Say you want to reunite the country. Leaves him no where to go. Nothing to say. Makes him sound more jaded that he already is.
You can indict a ham sandwich“.

Ha, gonna have to remember that one.

* Attention Mods: I HATE political posts on this dedicated college sports forum!!!
I’m a very long time subscriber here solely to read about UGA sports, not for political commentary! - How about keeping the currently divisive cancer of politics out of this space where possible.
The dawg Vent is for dawg related news only, or mostly dawg news

The dawg chat is for politics and other subject matters.

I disagree and agree with some of the same posters on both forums. This particular posting issue is sensitive than most because some think it may have been race related. We have posters on both side of issue, which mostly post fact or example base. Some get out of line, but overall good source of info. I hope both sites stay up for a long time because I see some matters in a different light when hearing all opinions.

Tennessee Republicans showed themselves to be absolute losers and just plain racist.
what about the Oregon house of reps that expelled a member for allowing covid protesters into the building in 2020, are they racist losers too?

what about the Oregon house of reps that expelled a member for allowing covid protesters into the building in 2020, are they racist losers too?
Typical false equivalence. The guy in Oregon was an active participant in planning the incursion, he personally unlocked the door to let the guys, some of whom were armed, into the building and the special committee of three Dems and three Republicans created to review his case and recommend punishment voted 6-0 for expulsion.

So really the situation in Oregon has nothing to do with what just happened in TN. And unless there has been an update, we still don’t understand what the difference was between the two people who were expelled and the one who was not, beyond the obvious. There may a great reason, but if so they need to get it out there or they will continue to look like racists. I’m not saying that was the driving reason, but it looks horrible.

The rush to appeal to the extremists in the Republican Party will continue alienate the moderates and independents needed to win most elections.

Last edited:
Typical false equivalence. The guy in Oregon was an active participant in planning the incursion, he personally unlocked the door to let the guys, some of whom were armed, into the building and the special committee of three Dems and three Republicans created to review his case and recommend punishment voted 6-0 for expulsion.

So really the situation in Oregon has nothing to do with what just happened in TN. And unless there has been an update, we still don’t understand what the difference was between the two people who were expelled and the one who was not, beyond the obvious. There may a great reason, but if so they need to get it out there or they will continue to look like racists. I’m not saying that was the driving reason, but it looks horrible.

The rush to appeal to the extremists in the Republican Party will continue alienate the moderates and independents needed to win most elections.
Ahhh, you got to use your standard false equivalence argument which is usually wrong as it is in this case. The protesters interrupted debate on the floor. At least one of the reps used a mega phone to join in chanting no justice no peace and other chants. The only thing not equivalent is who opened the door. Both the oregon rep and the tenn reps. interrupted the proceedings of a gov. body. Most certainly equivalent to anyone but a dim that always spins to cover the discretions of his/her party and those just not bright enough to see an event and judge for themselves but rather repeats the spin/lies of the dim media.

The only thing the tn pubs did wrong is not booting all 3.

Reactions: DTwnDawg

before and after the grift

The rush to appeal to the extremists in the BOTH PARTIES
will continue alienate the moderates and independents needed to win most elections.

FIFY

the-big-lebowski-child-who-wanders-into-the-middle-of-a-movie.gif

• Haha
Maybe becasue
They did try. Were one vote short. Maybe she had more friends than a few 20 something’s newly elected. She is 60 and has been there a while. My only thought
Was she one of the ones parading around with the bull horns, and trying to cause an insurrection?

By "armed" do you mean flag poles? I may be wrong, but Ive yet to see a report where guns (which i assume you are referring to as arms) were found on a person

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT