ADVERTISEMENT

Why Trump will be the nominee, even if in jail.

jbpayne32

Letterman and National Champion
Dec 29, 2014
To run ‘against’ Trump, you actually have to run against him. Otherwise you’re just running to lose to him.

Let me explain. The main political problem for the challengers is that Trump is far ahead of them in the polls (he polls +50%). Republican voters like him a great deal and are eager to make him president again. Most Republican primary voters don’t care if Trump commits crimes, such is their loyalty to him. When your opponent is so popular the voters don’t care if he gets indicted, your problem isn’t the indictment. It’s his popularity.

The challengers are frustrated about media attention, it’s always harder to get media attention when you’re NOT the frontrunner. Plus, Trump is interesting and media-savvy. His opponents are boring, and they want to be allowed to run boring campaigns. Do these people really believe that, if only Trump weren’t being indicted, they’d be getting invites on television to talk about “re-constitutionalizing the executive branch” or whatever? No, the campaign would still be all about Donald Trump, just like it was in 2016 and 2020. The man sucks up all the oxygen in the room; such is his nature.

The Republican nomination campaign cannot — and will not — be about anything but Donald Trump, and the media is not going to invite the candidates on TV to talk about topics other than Donald Trump. So, since they are going to talk about Donald Trump all the time, they had better talk about why he should not be nominated. If they instead talk about how the Justice Department is so unfair, all they’re doing is positioning themselves to be a bit less disliked by Trump’s voters as those voters make Trump the Republican nominee again. DeSantis has no shot unless he can convince Trump Republicans he is a better candidate and can win. Thus far he has done nothing to suggest.

To run ‘against’ Trump, you actually have to run against him. Otherwise you’re just running to lose to him.

Let me explain. The main political problem for the challengers is that Trump is far ahead of them in the polls (he polls +50%). Republican voters like him a great deal and are eager to make him president again. Most Republican primary voters don’t care if Trump commits crimes, such is their loyalty to him. When your opponent is so popular the voters don’t care if he gets indicted, your problem isn’t the indictment. It’s his popularity.

The challengers are frustrated about media attention, it’s always harder to get media attention when you’re NOT the frontrunner. Plus, Trump is interesting and media-savvy. His opponents are boring, and they want to be allowed to run boring campaigns. Do these people really believe that, if only Trump weren’t being indicted, they’d be getting invites on television to talk about “re-constitutionalizing the executive branch” or whatever? No, the campaign would still be all about Donald Trump, just like it was in 2016 and 2020. The man sucks up all the oxygen in the room; such is his nature.

The Republican nomination campaign cannot — and will not — be about anything but Donald Trump, and the media is not going to invite the candidates on TV to talk about topics other than Donald Trump. So, since they are going to talk about Donald Trump all the time, they had better talk about why he should not be nominated. If they instead talk about how the Justice Department is so unfair, all they’re doing is positioning themselves to be a bit less disliked by Trump’s voters as those voters make Trump the Republican nominee again. DeSantis has no shot unless he can convince Trump Republicans he is a better candidate and can win. Thus far he has done nothing to suggest.
Chris Christie done a masterful job taking on and telling the truth about trump.
Not to mention talking about his own agenda.
I fear none of that will matter because the base is literally brainwashed for trump.
Trump never even mentions what he would do with a second term. His speeches are just all about him, and how everyone is out to get him.
If Christie is on the ballot, I will vote for him.

Chris Christie done a masterful job taking on and telling the truth about trump.
I fear none of that will matter because the base is literally brainwashed for trump.
Trump never even mentions what he would do with a second term. His speeches are just all about him, and how everyone is out to get him.
There is literally nothing Trump could do to dissuade his supporters. It’s the grossest thing I’ve ever witnessed.

He’s the Loser God, enabling Losers to feel like they are still better than than the people they hate. That’s his entire appeal. He accomplished almost nothing that he promised during his term other than dividing our country.

There is literally nothing Trump could do to dissuade his supporters. It’s the grossest thing I’ve ever witnessed.

He’s the Loser God, enabling Losers to feel like they are still better than than the people they hate. That’s his entire appeal. He accomplished almost nothing that he promised during his term other than dividing our country.
Yep "build the wall and Mexico WILL PAY FOR IT".
As Christie said "ain't seen a peso yet".
He alone has absolutely destroyed the rep party.
Regan was the reason I was proud to be a part of the rep party.
Now the party has become a whiny and petty.
The party of grievances.

Agree. Gotta slay the dragon. Call him a puss for not debating. Get him on the debate stage. DeSantis would take him apart. Trump lost 2020 with his childish BS on the debate stage against an easy target.

Agree. Gotta slay the dragon. Call him a puss for not debating. Get him on the debate stage. DeSantis would take him apart. Trump lost 2020 with his childish BS on the debate stage against an easy target.
I guarantee you that Trump would wipe the floor with DeSantis, and you all would love it.

I guarantee you that Trump would wipe the floor with DeSantis, and you all would love it.

Based on what? DeSantis' strength is 1-on-1 debate. Like it or not, he's excelled when challenged by non-friendly crowds (i.e. aggressive reporters) "Wipe the floor" could happen, but I think you're basing that off of a 2016 Republican field that was too afraid to 'get dirty' until it was too late & ignoring DeSantis' own history of aggressive defense of his points.

You may completely disagree w/ what his points are...but, you're not going to see him wilt the way the '16 Republicans did. Will it work? Who knows. But, I'm not sure we know what that debate looks like, yet.

Yeah, Christie is the 2% polling canary in the coal mine. If only the other Republicans would pile on, together they may sink Trump, but they won’t. It’s a chicken and egg problem.

Reactions: mitchelldawg
Based on what? DeSantis' strength is 1-on-1 debate. Like it or not, he's excelled when challenged by non-friendly crowds (i.e. aggressive reporters) "Wipe the floor" could happen, but I think you're basing that off of a 2016 Republican field that was too afraid to 'get dirty' until it was too late & ignoring DeSantis' own history of aggressive defense of his points.

You may completely disagree w/ what his points are...but, you're not going to see him wilt the way the '16 Republicans did. Will it work? Who knows. But, I'm not sure we know what that debate looks like, yet.
no, it has nothing to do with debate. Trump is a master at wrong footing and intimidating people, and from what I've seen DeSantis is all too willing to be wrongfooted.

if you recall that one debate with Hillary whenTrump stalked her across the stage... no one remembered or talked about anything else and thus was a win for Donald, despite that it was creepy as ****

I don't know what it would be with DeSantis, but you know that Trump would make him look uncomfortable and weak, as he so often does

I don't know what it would be with DeSantis, but you know that Trump would make him look uncomfortable and weak, as he so often does
No, I don't "know" that, which is the point. It's an assumption that is counterintuitive to DeSantis' strengths.

You may ultimately be right..but, I don't believe it's an automatic assumption.

No, I don't "know" that, which is the point. It's an assumption that is counterintuitive to DeSantis' strengths.

I can only go by what we have seen of DeSantis on the national stage.

But, sure. He could surprise.

You make some good points, but let’s not pretend that the indictments weren’t politically motivated. The Dems made a calculated risk that indicting Trump would only embolden him to the party faithful but make him unelectable in a general election. So far, it looks like their plan is working. The problem is that from this point on, whichever party that holds the presidency will go after the party that they replaced. This will keep decent people from running for office in the future. Trump’s indictment is 100% politically motivated and you know that, even though it may have the desired effect (for democrats) in the short term. We all lose in the long term under this dynamic.

Reactions: Athens is Heaven
Well, here we are spending $19,400 for every man, woman and child in the U.S.. Our southern border is out of control. Our infrastructure is falling apart, inflation is exploding and both parties have held majorities long enough to enact their solutions. Is it any wonder why Pubs would be leary of another professional Republican?

Trump"s support isn't really about Trump. It's about a political class in both parties that have lost sight of their purpose. If you think upwards of 40K per year in federal taxes per tax payer is sustainable, we are getting a good deal and our money is wisely managed, feel free to mock those that believe someone else needs to run the country whether it's Trump, Paul Finebaum or any other person that doesn't have an incestuous relationship with the permanent DC grifting class.

The democrats divided the country. Obama was the divider in chief. The media run by Dems and their part is what divided our nation.

DeSantis has managed his public appearances very adroitly but he has shown himself to get flinty when pushed. I think Trump would tie him up in a knot in short order but we will see.

The democrats divided the country. Obama was the divider in chief. The media run by Dems and their part is what divided our nation.
Where does the largest cable news network fit into your nerrative?

Yep "build the wall and Mexico WILL PAY FOR IT".
As Christie said "ain't seen a peso yet".
He alone has absolutely destroyed the rep party.
Regan was the reason I was proud to be a part of the rep party.
Now the party has become a whiny and petty.
The party of grievances.
lol, so you an Obama, Hillary, Biden, Kamala or newsome guy? And just a yes or no, do you think Trump tried to build a wall or could he have been blocked from doing so? 1 more…are you more in line w/ dem policies and wants or ‘pubs?

Update…my bad, I see that you would vote for Christie if I’m reading right this time. So regarding the wall question and the policy/wants how you lean on those?

Last edited:
Yeah, Christie is the 2% polling canary in the coal mine. If only the other Republicans would pile on, together they may sink Trump, but they won’t. It’s a chicken and egg problem.
Let’s do all we can to keep this great administration we currently are enjoying in office. They have more work to do before this once great nation folds into the history books. They are so close, just let them kill the American dream and dole out your government bread crumbs. Hot damn!

Reactions: sallen4250
I will vote for just about any republican except Trump. He and the rest of his cult following politicians are dead to me.
The republicans are part of the cult of politicians that area killing the US. Keep voting for these evil, crooks and you get more loses and more of what you libs enjoy. The destruction of the United States of America.

Reactions: sallen4250
I will vote for just about any republican except Trump. He and the rest of his cult following politicians are dead to me.

And you will get the government you've been getting for the last 40 yrs which will be the government you deserve. Again, our government is spending upwards of 40K per yr for every tax payer in the country and that number includes the tax payers that are refunded more than pay into the system. It's the Dems and est pubs that created this mess and somebody else needs to be running the federal government.

You see, the issue isn't the Pubs that will vote for Trump if he's the nominee. It's the ones that campaigned for Biden as well as the ones that voted for Biden or refused to vote for Trump. Most Trump voters held their noses and voted for Romney, McCain and the Bush family while the milquetoast, patrician Pubs talked a good game but participated in the grift game in DC and I'll vote for any Pub over any Dem in the general. However, I'd rather vote for the petulant asshole that is fighting for me than a mealy mouthed pussy that surrenders the first time WAPO runs a mean story about them.

And you will get the government you've been getting for the last 40 yrs which will be the government you deserve. Again, our government is spending upwards of 40K per yr for every tax payer in the country and that number includes the tax payers that are refunded more than pay into the system. It's the Dems and est pubs that created this mess and somebody else needs to be running the federal government.

You see, the issue isn't the Pubs that will vote for Trump if he's the nominee. It's the ones that campaigned for Biden as well as the ones that voted for Biden or refused to vote for Trump. Most Trump voters held their noses and voted for Romney, McCain and the Bush family while the milquetoast, patrician Pubs talked a good game but participated in the grift game in DC and I'll vote for any Pub over any Dem in the general. However, I'd rather vote for the petulant asshole that is fighting for me than a mealy mouthed pussy that surrenders the first time WAPO runs a mean story about them.
That’s how I feel, but I think Trump
Is only an asshole to those who are already screwing us. He did not have to leave his life and insert himself into this crap. He has been persecuted since he came down that escalator and has fought for us every day since then. He says what we want to say, but have no platform to be heard! If you question his personality fine, but look at what he accomplished ( with no help from the pubs at all). He fights for America and American citizens.

That’s how I feel, but I think Trump
Is only an asshole to those who are already screwing us. He did not have to leave his life and insert himself into this crap. He has been persecuted since he came down that escalator and has fought for us every day since then. He says what we want to say, but have no platform to be heard! If you question his personality fine, but look at what he accomplished ( with no help from the pubs at all). He fights for America and American citizens.
Oh, I think Trump is an egotistical asshole without a doubt and his style is over the top. I can see why folks hate him, are embarrassed by him and want someone else to lead the nation. What I don't understand is how someone that hates Trump can say with a straight face that Biden or really any democrat is a better choice IF you support federalism and a live and let live philosophy.

Last edited:
Oh, I think Trump is an egotistical asshole without a doubt and his style is over the top. I can see why folks hate him, are embarrassed by him and want someone else to lead the nation. What I don't understand is how someone that hates Trump can say with a straight face that Biden or really any democrat is a better choice IF you support federalism and a live and let live philosophy.
Don't see how you can call "fight like hell or you won't have a country anymore," "find 11,780 votes," "just say the election was corrupt and leave the rest to me and the R congressmen," “Well, Kevin, I guess these people are more upset about the election than you are,” counts as "live and let live."

He is all the things you say here & more....I've always been a conservative and have literally never voted for a Democrat candidate in any election - local, state or federal - but I WILL NOT vote for Donald Trump. I will vote for either Nikki Haley or Tim Scott in the primary and if they aren't on the ballot in November 2024, I'll write one or the other in on my ballot. They are the only two people running for the office currently who deserve anyone's vote.

Reactions: mitchelldawg
He is all the things you say here & more....I've always been a conservative and have literally never voted for a Democrat candidate in any election - local, state or federal - but I WILL NOT vote for Donald Trump. I will vote for either Nikki Haley or Tim Scott in the primary and if they aren't on the ballot in November 2024, I'll write one or the other in on my ballot. They are the only two people running for the office currently who deserve anyone's vote.
Congrats, you support 2 people that have no chance to win the nomination and quite frankly, Nikki Haley =Jeb Bush=John McCain=Mitt Romney and on and on. Having said that, I will gladly pull the lever for Nikki Haley over any Dem because even though she'll do what the political class wants, she appears to be sane and understands the difference between a man and a woman at a minimum.

If the question is about the character of DJT, I would agree with you but I'm not so sure the character of DC is any better. And when Trump is the nominee and you waste your vote, don't bother blaming the person that won the Pub nomination or "MAGA" voters if he is defeated. Just go ahead and point your finger at the mirror and enjoy the attacks on energy, wild inflation along with unsustainable budgets and getting involved in every conflict the MIC can supply.

As a registered independent voter I would like to actually hear what the other candidates really stand on. Right now Hutchinson and Christie are the only two that I'm entertaining at this point. I feel like the others are running for second place and seem afraid to speak their true feelings out of fear. As a retired military veteran today was the first day that I looked into moving back home to Georgia. I love what Governor Kemp is doing and I'm finally ready to leave Colorado.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT