ADVERTISEMENT

NonDawg Watching this 60 Minutes episode on CBS on 9/11…

Stay asleep if you must
IMG-2910.gif

I think it’s possible that what folks mean when they say “forget,” is just that the unity that was present in the following months has disappeared rapidly over the years.
The two are independent. It was a different country then.

I will never forget and have countless conversations with folks every single year that went through it.

Long article but worth every minute of reading about Rick Rescorla!!!!!!. Rick was head of security for Morgan Stanley in World Trade Tower 2.

If you are familiar with "We Were Soldiers Once... and Young", Rick's picture is on the front cover from the 1965 battle in Vietnam. An incredible man and warrior.

The History Channel did a documentary on him "The Man Who Predicted 911". The following article covers all of this.

The two are independent. It was a different country then.

I will never forget and have countless conversations with folks every single year that went through it.
I understand. Just offering a possible explanation.

Reactions: fprex
Watched two documentaries on 9/11 last week.

Remember very vividly pulling into my company's parking lot with my wife, and hearing an ABC news breaking report on our car's radio, that what was thought to be a smaller plane ("perhaps a Cessna") had flown into one of the towers. I watched the news reports from my company's trading room after the 2nd plane hit the second tower. That morning and entire day was surreal.

My company had important business partners who held an office in the South Tower. They ended up losing 14 staff members. May all citizens and first responders who lost their lives that day continue to rest in peace.

The United States, and the world, changed that day. A loss of innocence, especially for commercial air travel. I am proud of the resolve that our country has demonstrated against terrorists since then.

I think it’s possible that what folks mean when they say “forget,” is just that the unity that was present in the following months has disappeared rapidly over the years.
That’s part of it. But more than that, we make decisions like that kind of evil isn’t out there looking to do us (collectively) harm. And then there’s a big chunk of the populace that legitimately doesn’t remember because they weren’t alive or were too young and we (collectively) have not done enough to educate them about it.

And it’s tough. I’ll never forget being 8 years old and having to come in from recess, not knowing what was going on. I know we all remember where we were that day, and what we were feeling. Listening to the 911 calls is absolutely heartbreaking.

The FDNY were and are heroes. In such a fractured time politically and otherwise, I hope we can all come together tomorrow and say a prayer for the families and friends and loved ones affected by this awful attack. Whatever your beliefs, theories, questions or what have you, whatever you think of certain leaders or figures, it really doesn’t matter. We’re all very blessed to live in a country where we can debate about who plays running back and point spreads in an awesome community like this.

If you had a friend or loved one give their life that day, our hearts, thoughts and prayers are with you, although that will never remove the pain of loss.

We are all Dawgs, but more importantly, at least tomorrow, we are all Americans.

God bless you, and God help and heal this country.
Yeah it still brings a tear just watching that! I still remember that morning, we were hanging fiber over the etowah river that morning and we all just packed up and went back to the work center to watch the news

Reactions: RingoTheBell
I was in 7th grade at Prince Avenue (when it was actually on Prince Avenue). I didn't even find out about it until lunchtime when a kid in my class yelled "The Palestinians bombed us!" as I walked into lunch. We were eating in our classroom that day because the church was using our normal lunchroom. I remember our teacher telling us once we all got in there that 2 planes flew into the World Trade Center and 1 in the Pentagon. That was the last I even heard about it the rest of the day. It was just treated as a normal day for my class. My older brother said a couple of his teachers turned on the radio though. I guess we were in that weird age range where the teachers didn't know what/how much to say to us, because admittedly I don't think any of us really understood what was going on. I honestly didn't even know what the World Trade Center was until I got home that afternoon and turned on the TV. Another thing I remember is a lot of parents coming and picking up their kids from school because there were rumors the Navy School just down Prince (where the UGA Health Sciences Campus is now for those who don't know) was a target.

It's crazy looking back and remembering some of the things I thought/did that day as a 12 year old kid. I remember being glued to the TV all afternoon and just being sad/angry/confused. I also remember being really ticked and just losing it when I found out the Braves game got cancelled that night which seems so incredibly stupid now. Looking back I think I had just gotten so overwhelmed watching the coverage all day that I couldn't take watching it any more and needed to see something else.

Man, I always figured you were notably older than me.

I was in my first semester of grad school at Florida State. What a surreal time that was.
Ha. My UGA roommate was one of your Beta fraternity brothers.

I was driving back to my dorm after an early morning baseball practice and heard it on the radio.
never forget

I had just retired from the Army the previous November! I was at work at the Post Office getting ready to hit the streets for a typical boring day delivering mail! It was a huge shock! Such a sad sad day! FDNY and those across the nation has a tough tough job! They willingly will rush into burning buildings to save lives! They’re some of the best that America has! Prayers to the survivors and to the families of those that parishes!

9/11 was terrible but the events are after were a nightmare ……..20+ years of sending our men and women to Afghanistan and iraq to fight and die for way to long. a total disaster. dumb people in charge.

thank you first responders, our military and all their families.

It was a very interesting day. Sat in Macon Georgia that day with my Georgia Army National Guard teammates wondering where we where we would all be in five years. 21 years later we lost some
Damn good friends.

Give credit where credit is due…MG Tom
Carden is a
fantastic leader.

And it’s tough. I’ll never forget being 8 years old and having to come in from recess, not knowing what was going on. I know we all remember where we were that day, and what we were feeling. Listening to the 911 calls is absolutely heartbreaking.

The FDNY were and are heroes. In such a fractured time politically and otherwise, I hope we can all come together tomorrow and say a prayer for the families and friends and loved ones affected by this awful attack. Whatever your beliefs, theories, questions or what have you, whatever you think of certain leaders or figures, it really doesn’t matter. We’re all very blessed to live in a country where we can debate about who plays running back and point spreads in an awesome community like this.

If you had a friend or loved one give their life that day, our hearts, thoughts and prayers are with you, although that will never remove the pain of loss.

We are all Dawgs, but more importantly, at least tomorrow, we are all Americans.

God bless you, and God help and heal this country.
I was a freshman at Gainesville College - Athens Campus. I remember going on UGA’s campus and hanging out with some friends from high school in their dorm rooms. We just kinda sat around in shock watching the news.

Then I ate dinner that night with my sister (who was a senior at UGA) at Mean Bean in 5 Points. Nobody said a word the whole time we were in the restaurant, except for ordering etc..

That was the only time I ever ate at Mean Bean, I couldn’t bring myself to go back inside because it reminded me of that day too much.

I was talking to my son about how he found out, as an eight-year-old--just about the age I was when JFK was shot. Like him, I was in school. We were sent home. My son says that his teacher got a note from the principle brought to her, and she sat blankly for a couple of minutes, then said to the class, "Does anyone know what a terrorist is?" I find that heartbreaking somehow. End of innocence for our nation's kids.

I had my own little 911 story (that started right here on the Vent) but I've told that story on here a few times.

One thing that will always haunt me. I attended a conference in Manhattan in May 2001. Afterwards, taking car service from the hotel to the airport that morning, my driver hit the brakes as we were getting on the ramp to the Brooklyn Bridge. Traffic was going around a limo that was pulled over on the right lane of the ramp, with several Arab-looking men standing behind the limo, looking up and pointing at the WTC. Just one of those 5-second glimpses that had always made me wonder if they were scoping the WTC beforehand. Could have been nothing. Or could have been something. Will never know.

I was 39 years old with a work from home sales/support job. I have to admit the first plane hit before I woke up. I was working a job with people on the west coast so I'd have calls going to 100 AM EDT. I have reminded my kids (not born at that time) what tomorrow is and what it means.

Also, when I flew commercial post-9/11, I kept a wary eye on any Arab-looking passengers that boarded the plane. There was a lot of public discourse back then about "profiling", and whether it was morally right or wrong. I couldn't help it, they made me nervous when they boarded, as innocent as they were.

And I when I boarded, I always tried to figure out if a plain-clothed air marshal was onboard before take off. I remember being disappointed when I learned that not all flights had them.

I was working in DC at the time. I drove right by the Pentagon, which was immediately adjacent to my route, maybe 20-30 minutes before one of the terrorists flew the plane into the building. When I arrived at work and went downstairs to grab breakfast, I learned what happened in NYC, and then the Pentagon news broke.

Smoke was billowing up through the district, and rumors started that Old Executive had been attacked. It wasn't true; it was just smoke drifting from the Pentagon. But people were flooding into the streets like a scene from Independence Day.

We spent the afternoon watching the news at a friend's apartment in NW DC after walking there (no one was driving mid-morning or around noon because office buildings had emptied and pedestrians were fleeing on foot). I was able to retrieve my car around 5 after things settled a bit, and I drove home on an almost empty road. At "rush hour" on a weekday. I might have passed 5 other cars on the 20 minute drive to Virginia.

Hard to forget that scene, and I will forever be thankful to those who made the ultimate sacrifice that day, including the passengers in PA who thwarted another incident in DC.

I was a sophomore at UGA. Watched from Ramsey Center at my racquetball class when the towers fell.

I remember listening to the radio on the way and no one had any idea what’s as going on whether it was an attack or accidental.
I was on the bus back from Ramsey after my 8am volleyball class and the bus was so silent and the radio so loud. I thought it was some prank, like a war of the worlds thing until I walked into Brumby and saw everyone standing around the TV. Woke up my roommate to turn on the tv to see the towers fall.

Reactions: GrantParkDawg
My mother’s home office was in the WTC. She was just there before. She lost many friends that day.

• Sad
Reactions: DVD-Dawg
We said we would never forget but most Americans did, and soooo quickly.
Disagree with this 100 percent. My daughter and her friends who were not even born at that time all have an appreciation for what happened that day. And most of the time they don't pay attention to anything they consider historical.

I was working at a TV station in Mobile at the time. I’ll never forget watching the second tower fall and having to shield a co-worker from seeing it. She had just talked to her brother on the cell phone…he was on the top floor of that tower and was calling to tell her he loved her and it didn’t look like he would make it. Something you never get management training for.
Oh my gosh. I have tears streaming down my face now thinking of all the people who faced something similar that day. So unbelievably sad.

If ever in NYC, I highly recommend going to the 9/11 museum. Pretty powerful stuff. Saw this when I visited a few years ago too

dVHlNaJ_d.jpeg
IIRC I was at that game, the first game in Sanford after 9/11. I had not been to a game in years. We played Arkansas and Reggie Brown tore his ACL on a kickoff (opening kickoff I think). I attended with 2-3 friends. It reignited my desire to attend games and I became a season ticket holder the following season. Lots of patriotism and righteous anger and determination that we were not going to sit home in fear (some were scared of large public gatherings at that point). Moving halftime and pregame. We beat Arkansas.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT