ADVERTISEMENT

NonDawg Watching this 60 Minutes episode on CBS on 9/11…

Also, when I flew commercial post-9/11, I kept a wary eye on any Arab-looking passengers that boarded the plane. There was a lot of public discourse back then about "profiling", and whether it was morally right or wrong. I couldn't help it, they made me nervous when they boarded, as innocent as they were.

And I when I boarded, I always tried to figure out if a plain-clothed air marshal was onboard before take off. I remember being disappointed when I learned that not all flights had them.
Funny story on the profiling thing. When all this happened I worked with a guy from Cuba. But skin tone and beard style he looked middle eastern. He took a flight about two weeks after 9/11. He said as part of the security they were random pulling passengers and searching them. He said they pulled 3 white kids from Wisconsin.....he was actually truly pissed that they didn't pull him out of the line and search him. He went off about it for like an hour. Lol

• Haha
Reactions: DVD-Dawg
I was in the 8th grade when Kennedy was assasinated and our pricipal called us to the auditorium. I was in my office when a patient came in saying a plane had crashed into the World Trade Center. Very similar moments for me. i will never forget those 2 events.

What I’ve never understood is why we didn’t execute any of the terrorists who were involved and who we had at Guantanamo? Wasn’t that one of many important reasons for putting them there?
And if we could have, why didn’t we?

I was a Junior in high school in Ohio and was in my 3rd period art class. The fire alarm went off and by the time we got back from outside, the plane had hit the first tower. The TV’s went on immediately. My next class was World History and I remember my teacher saying “I can’t teach you more today than you’ll learn on this TV.” It was so quiet in that room for the remainder of the period. All we did for the rest of the day was watch TV.

My grandmother passed from cancer on 9/9/01 and we had to drive to Detroit for the funeral on the night of 9/11. The gas stations were packed. As we were walking into the church the next morning for the funeral mass, I’ll never forget hearing a plane fly over. It was the most unnerving, yet reassuring moment when we realized it was from a nearby military base. I always like to think that my Meema arrived in Heaven just in time to cook for all the people that were lost that day.

60 minutes the only much watch news for me. The stories of those who ran to danger to help and their family’s following their paths. Extrodainary and the best of us still exists.

And it’s tough. I’ll never forget being 8 years old and having to come in from recess, not knowing what was going on. I know we all remember where we were that day, and what we were feeling. Listening to the 911 calls is absolutely heartbreaking.

The FDNY were and are heroes. In such a fractured time politically and otherwise, I hope we can all come together tomorrow and say a prayer for the families and friends and loved ones affected by this awful attack. Whatever your beliefs, theories, questions or what have you, whatever you think of certain leaders or figures, it really doesn’t matter. We’re all very blessed to live in a country where we can debate about who plays running back and point spreads in an awesome community like this.

If you had a friend or loved one give their life that day, our hearts, thoughts and prayers are with you, although that will never remove the pain of loss.

We are all Dawgs, but more importantly, at least tomorrow, we are all Americans.

God bless you, and God help and heal this country.
I was in 2nd period coach nix world history class at Houston county highschool. I will never forget he was out that day we had a sub. And the teacher next to our class comes in and cuts our tv on saying a plane hit one of the towers. Right after he cut that on watched the 2nd plane hit the other tower. That was a scary day to see so many people in harms way. They ended up cutting our tvs off by 3rd period because of warner robins being a military town. With people maybe having family there. Really hope we never see anything on that scale happen here again.
One thing I will say that was amazing was the next day. Never seen so many people come together. All of Congress was together and the country as a whole. It was a site to see I will never forget.

Reactions: khonelson
And it’s tough. I’ll never forget being 8 years old and having to come in from recess, not knowing what was going on. I know we all remember where we were that day, and what we were feeling. Listening to the 911 calls is absolutely heartbreaking.

The FDNY were and are heroes. In such a fractured time politically and otherwise, I hope we can all come together tomorrow and say a prayer for the families and friends and loved ones affected by this awful attack. Whatever your beliefs, theories, questions or what have you, whatever you think of certain leaders or figures, it really doesn’t matter. We’re all very blessed to live in a country where we can debate about who plays running back and point spreads in an awesome community like this.

If you had a friend or loved one give their life that day, our hearts, thoughts and prayers are with you, although that will never remove the pain of loss.

We are all Dawgs, but more importantly, at least tomorrow, we are all Americans.

I remember how down I was about the loss to Carolina. Perspective came a few days later.

If ever in NYC, I highly recommend going to the 9/11 museum. Pretty powerful stuff. Saw this when I visited a few years ago too

dVHlNaJ_d.jpeg

Totally agree. Visited NYC with my wife in 2019. Going to the 9-11 Museum was incredibly emotional. Just before we finished viewing, my wife said, "I can't take any more. Let's go".

Reactions: AlchemyDawg186
On this day every year I pause to remember how different the world is as a result of the events on that Tuesday morning on September 11th 2001. So many families endured tragic loss and pain that day and it altered the course of history in innumerable ways. I wish to send prayers for all the families of victims that day and all the people affected since.

I had flown into Newark (one of the planes that went down left from there) on 9-10 and was scheduled to fly home out of Dulles (where the plane that hit the Pentagon departed from) after our scheduled meeting at the Pentagon on 9-11. One of my teammates, my boss, and I waited about 30min in the lobby of the building before the meeting was cancelled. As we walked out the door to leave for our second meeting at the Pentagon; I remember seeing the smoke over the hill as we were less than a mile from where the plane had struck the Pentagon. Everyone leaving the building was scared and confused. The three of us made our way back to the car and discovered what had happened in New York and were piecing together what happened at the Pentagon. We decided to go back to our hotel and spent several hours with dozens of other folks in the restaurant and bar at the hotel glued to the TV. After spending the night in the hotel, hardly eating, and watching the news; I secured the last rental car from the nearest rental car agency and drove home to Atlanta the next day. Selfishly, it was hard for me to think of things other than the safety and security of my family, their future, and what was in front of us as a country and how it would affect the future for my infant son (Payton was 7months old, but my daughter Riley wouldn’t arrive for another 13 months). We were changed forever…

What I’ve never understood is why we didn’t execute any of the terrorists who were involved and who we had at Guantanamo? Wasn’t that one of many important reasons for putting them there?
And if we could have, why didn’t we?
Because we got them to confess under torture man. That’s not admissible even in the kangaroo courts we’ve set up for them

Appreciate that. 9/11 was actually the reason I ended up serving.
My son was a junior at Georgia and called me after 911 and told me he was going to join the military. He did wait until he graduated, but went into special forces with the navy (SWCC) and served two tours in Iraq. He didn’t get those genes from me. i grew up during the Vietnam war and that was the last place I wanted to go!

Reactions: BaileyDawg79
I was home that morning with the flu watching on TV and I’m glad I was home. My wife was on the phone with her twin sister who lived in DC not far from the Pentagon And over the speakerphone I actually heard the plane hit the pentagon live. Horrifying. 20 seconds later it was on television in print across the bottom of the screen. Jesus Mary and Joseph

Everyone should look into it and form their own opinion. I don’t know what happened but I don’t buy everything we were told. Too many things don’t add up.
Jet fuel doesn't melt steel beams and 747's don't make small round holes in buildings.

3 buildings fell that day. One building they claim fell due to 'fire' that wasn't hit by a plane.

Jet fuel doesn't melt steel beams and 747's don't make small round holes in buildings.

3 buildings fell that day. One building they claim fell due to 'fire' that wasn't hit by a plane.
I’ve literally been waiting for you to join us. How’s the bunker this morning?

Amen to that. I am a tour guide at Ground Zero and it is an emotional experience literally every time out.

Reactions: Artie Fufkin

Sorry for the long post. This time of year always makes me think about my experience in NY that day.

I was living in NY at the time on 10th St so not too far from the WTC. I was leading a kick off a new client project in our office near the Empire State Building when my assistant informed me about the first impact and thought what we all thought at the time, that it was an accident. When she came to tell me of the second impact I knew immediately and stoped the meeting. Told the clients that it was unlikely anyone was flying home that day and that my team would start working to get everyone hotel rooms.

An hour later we were informed we had to evacuate our building due to proximity to the Empire State and we got everyone out other than my core team of five people. By this time both buildings were down and I had no idea what do do next. Well, I had a former Marine on the team and he stated firmly that we had to head downtown and see how we could help.

So, we walked south to my apartment so we could change and get to the site. Amongst the many things I’ll never forget was the masses of people walking north and away from the WTC. Every block or so we would see one or several people covered in ash with expressions you only see in a war zone. It was haunting.

We got to the rescue staging area just north of the 7 tower around noon and there were around fifty civilians like ourselves. The absence of the towers from the skyline, the burning 7 tower and the expressions of the FDNY and NYPD working to determine a response to the unimaginable are also still clear in my mind.

My coworker the former Marine spent two days on the pile and doesn’t talk about it much.

By 3pm there were about 300 of us and the FDNY announced the request that military, former military and anyone with formal medical training of any kind should stay and the rest of us should leave. So off to St. Vincents hospital to join the incredibly long line to give blood. After an hour of that they sent us home as they didn't have enough blood storage and only had a handful of victims by that time.

A team of my coworkers, including a close friend, were supposed to kick off a new project with AON at 9am in the WTC and the client pushed the meeting to 1pm the night before as she needed to catch up. She died and if the meeting had still been at 9am my team would have likely died as well. My buddy who was supposed to be there and I are speaking later today as we do every 9/11.

The next day the missing person posters started going up around St Vincent’s. If you haven’t seen any of these, Google it. Watching the family and friends putting up these homemade posters of the dead, hoping beyond hope that their people were still alive, was heart breaking. By that time, they all knew, we all knew, but they didn’t know what else to do.

The smell of the WTC site lingered for months and missing person posters around the city stayed up for months as well. Both were a very visceral reminder of how the city suffered on 9/11.

I didn’t live in NY long but I’ve always had a soft spot for the city. Watching the heroes of the FDNY and NYPD in action and the way the people of the city came together continues to give me faith in the human capacity for goodness. Never forget.

Was getting ready to head to Kingsland/St. Mary’s for several appointments. Walking down the hall my wife told to come watch the TV, very surreal experience when the second plane hit. Did make it to Camden that day, felt like a ghost town, Kings Bay was pretty much locked down.

Sorry for the long post. This time of year always makes me think about my experience in NY that day.

I was living in NY at the time on 10th St so not too far from the WTC. I was leading a kick off a new client project in our office near the Empire State Building when my assistant informed me about the first impact and thought what we all thought at the time, that it was an accident. When she came to tell me of the second impact I knew immediately and stoped the meeting. Told the clients that it was unlikely anyone was flying home that day and that my team would start working to get everyone hotel rooms.

An hour later we were informed we had to evacuate our building due to proximity to the Empire State and we got everyone out other than my core team of five people. By this time both buildings were down and I had no idea what do do next. Well, I had a former Marine on the team and he stated firmly that we had to head downtown and see how we could help.

So, we walked south to my apartment so we could change and get to the site. Amongst the many things I’ll never forget was the masses of people walking north and away from the WTC. Every block or so we would see one or several people covered in ash with expressions you only see in a war zone. It was haunting.

We got to the rescue staging area just north of the 7 tower around noon and there were around fifty civilians like ourselves. The absence of the towers from the skyline, the burning 7 tower and the expressions of the FDNY and NYPD working to determine a response to the unimaginable are also still clear in my mind.

My coworker the former Marine spent two days on the pile and doesn’t talk about it much.

By 3pm there were about 300 of us and the FDNY announced the request that military, former military and anyone with formal medical training of any kind should stay and the rest of us should leave. So off to St. Vincents hospital to join the incredibly long line to give blood. After an hour of that they sent us home as they didn't have enough blood storage and only had a handful of victims by that time.

A team of my coworkers, including a close friend, were supposed to kick off a new project with AON at 9am in the WTC and the client pushed the meeting to 1pm the night before as she needed to catch up. She died and if the meeting had still been at 9am my team would have likely died as well. My buddy who was supposed to be there and I are speaking later today as we do every 9/11.

The next day the missing person posters started going up around St Vincent’s. If you haven’t seen any of these, Google it. Watching the family and friends putting up these homemade posters of the dead, hoping beyond hope that their people were still alive, was heart breaking. By that time, they all knew, we all knew, but they didn’t know what else to do.

The smell of the WTC site lingered for months and missing person posters around the city stayed up for months as well. Both were a very visceral reminder of how the city suffered on 9/11.

I didn’t live in NY long but I’ve always had a soft spot for the city. Watching the heroes of the FDNY and NYPD in action and the way the people of the city came together continues to give me faith in the human capacity for goodness. Never forget.
The missing posters with family asking on TV if they had seen their loved ones was the thing that sticks the most to me. For weeks it seemed. Wandering the site.

We have to take our shoes off at the airport and can’t have a 4 oz tube of toothpaste. No one who flys can forget
Yeah, that’s not what I’m talking about. Outside of TSA, we have half of the population unwilling to take the reasonable steps that EVERY other 1st world country (and many 2nd and 3rd world countries) takes to help try to prevent things like this because we have politicized a basic aspect of national security and I’m not talking about anything that denies anyone of any constitutional rights. No, you won’t walk up to anyone older than 30 who don’t know the basics that something happened but about half of the American public has forgotten the fear, the outrage, the unity, and the determination to never let it happen again OR they haven’t truly forgotten but aren’t willing to get past their politics to help prevent it. That’s what I’ve been talking about to a large degree and I can’t be any clearer with getting sent to Chile and/or getting this thread sent to the chat.

A tragic day in our history. Hope it wasn’t really an inside job.
As I said earlier in this thread, I am a tour guide at Ground Zero and sorry, I meet survivors or family members of the victims every week and this really sticks in my craw. If it's a troll it's not funny--it demeans not only the victims and the families and communities they were torn from, but also the men and women who went to fight for this country in the aftermath. If you actually believe this, even a little, even enough to float it out there on a public message board, I'd suggest you examine the state of your soul and your true motives for wanting to blame whomever else you want to blame

Reactions: celticdawg
Yeah, that’s not what I’m talking about. Outside of TSA, we have half of the population unwilling to take the reasonable steps that EVERY other 1st world country (and many 2nd and 3rd world countries) takes to help try to prevent things like this because we have politicized a basic aspect of national security and I’m not talking about anything that denies anyone of any constitutional rights. No, you won’t walk up to anyone older than 30 who don’t know the basics that something happened but about half of the American public has forgotten the fear, the outrage, the unity, and the determination to never let it happen again OR they haven’t truly forgotten but aren’t willing to get past their politics to help prevent it. That’s what I’ve been talking about to a large degree and I can’t be any clearer with getting sent to Chile and/or getting this thread sent to the chat.
Buddy if we treated the people who are the biggest threats to commit an act of terrorism on US soil in 2023 the way we treated Muslims in the early 2000s, half the vent would get renditioned to Romania for nut shocking interrogation. We got some clear MFers who would be venting from black sites in 12 hour stress positions

I was on the Vent that day, well the Vent didn't exist. It was the chat. Sitting in my office in Charlotte, this site is how I and many others kept up with the horror unfolding.

Buddy if we treated the people who are the biggest threats to commit an act of terrorism on US soil in 2023 the way we treated Muslims in the early 2000s, half the vent would get renditioned to Romania for nut shocking interrogation. We got some clear MFers who would be venting from black sites in 12 hour stress positions
Now THAT’S some horse shit.

Now THAT’S some horse shit.
It’s 100% not. We pissed on people’s civil liberties because they looked or worshipped a certain way. Well, the #1 domestic terrorism threat *right now* in this country is easy to find. Look it up. It’s only because of the caucasity that we don’t treat them the same way we treated Muslims 20 years ago.

You want to remember 9/11? Remember how we shit on people’s rights and committed atrocities afterwards in the name of this “unity” you keep talking about. It wasn’t unity; it was boot licking.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT