ADVERTISEMENT

NonDawg Watching this 60 Minutes episode on CBS on 9/11…

I was a senior at UGA. Watched the towers fall on TV in the lounge of Sanford Hall.
Me too…exact same spot! I think we had a test at 930 and I remember walking by everyone on way to class thinking what is the scuttle but in the lounge

As I said earlier in this thread, I am a tour guide at Ground Zero and sorry, I meet survivors or family members of the victims every week and this really sticks in my craw. If it's a troll it's not funny--it demeans not only the victims and the families and communities they were torn from, but also the men and women who went to fight for this country in the aftermath. If you actually believe this, even a little, even enough to float it out there on a public message board, I'd suggest you examine the state of your soul and your true motives for wanting to blame whomever else you want to blame
Unfortunately you can’t reason with dumbass people! It doesn’t matter how many facts are there! We have family friends no longer here too, and this really pisses me off especially when it’s on 9/11.

And it’s tough. I’ll never forget being 8 years old and having to come in from recess, not knowing what was going on. I know we all remember where we were that day, and what we were feeling. Listening to the 911 calls is absolutely heartbreaking.

The FDNY were and are heroes. In such a fractured time politically and otherwise, I hope we can all come together tomorrow and say a prayer for the families and friends and loved ones affected by this awful attack. Whatever your beliefs, theories, questions or what have you, whatever you think of certain leaders or figures, it really doesn’t matter. We’re all very blessed to live in a country where we can debate about who plays running back and point spreads in an awesome community like this.

If you had a friend or loved one give their life that day, our hearts, thoughts and prayers are with you, although that will never remove the pain of loss.

We are all Dawgs, but more importantly, at least tomorrow, we are all Americans.

God bless you, and God help and heal this country.
I was a freshman in a 9:00 Trig class at a JuCo in S Ga (transferred to UGA my junior year). Just before class started someone walked in and said a plane had flown into one of the WTC buildings. We all thought it was a small private plane. This was before the current state of having all world news at our fingertips with phones, so in terms of finding out more, that was it for the next 50 minutes. As we all left class, it was the only time in my life I can ever recall every single group of people talking about the exact same thing. For the next 3-4 hours, it was as if the world stood still.

Reactions: RingoTheBell
Waited to post on this thread because my wife and I flew out of JFK this morning after being at the US Open over the weekend. Frankly I was trying not to think about it until we touched down at Hartsfield, but of course it was impossible. I thought a lot about all those folks that morning and all those survivors this morning who weren’t lucky like I am.

Having watched 9/11/01 on TV from Atlanta, it was really somber and eerie to be traversing midtown Manhattan in an Uber while the radio was having the minute of silence for when each plane had hit, looking down the avenues toward the WTC site. We passed the Empire State during the second minute of silence and I got a real lump in my throat.

My recollection of that day is heavily centered around this board (the old one) and how much info flowed through this place from so many different sources. I also remember heading back home to the burbs that morning after they closed our office building and seeing the traffic alert board on 400 that said: “National emergency. All airports closed” and thinking how much consequence was packed into those five few words, and how freaky it must have been to see it if you didn’t know what had happened.

But what I remember most is looking at my 18 month old little girl that night and my wife who was pregnant with our son and wondering how I was ever going to be able to protect them from a world that suddenly felt downright evil. They’re 23 & 21 now and I am a blessed and lucky man to have them in my life.

To @BaileyDawg79, @may26 and the others in this thread who signed up to serve because of the events of that day - I am truly grateful for your service, and frankly in awe of the selfless commitment you and so many others made to protect our great country at a time of deepest peril.

Last edited:
John Kennedy shot - 3rd grade, after school but still in school cleaning Sister Maurina on PA crying
space shuttle challenger - C&S bank getting first home loan.
Space shuttle Columbia - in car going to daughter’s basketball game
9/1/01 - concourse C, old Eastern Airlines Ionishere Club, working
Reagan shot - 1776 Peachtree St working
SF earthquake- at home, just started watching the WS intro

As I said earlier in this thread, I am a tour guide at Ground Zero and sorry, I meet survivors or family members of the victims every week and this really sticks in my craw. If it's a troll it's not funny--it demeans not only the victims and the families and communities they were torn from, but also the men and women who went to fight for this country in the aftermath. If you actually believe this, even a little, even enough to float it out there on a public message board, I'd suggest you examine the state of your soul and your true motives for wanting to blame whomever else you want to blame

Have you actually looked into it with an open mind? A LOT of shit doesn’t add up. I’m not trying to tell you what to think or what to believe. I try to think for myself and do my own research so I’m not a puppet to the BS that’s out there. Like I said I don’t know what happened but If you don’t think our government isn’t capable of doing terrible things then you obviously haven’t studied history my friend

Reactions: WyoDawg307
Watched two documentaries on 9/11 last week.

Remember very vividly pulling into my company's parking lot with my wife, and hearing an ABC news breaking report on our car's radio, that what was thought to be a smaller plane ("perhaps a Cessna") had flown into one of the towers. I watched the news reports from my company's trading room after the 2nd plane hit the second tower. That morning and entire day was surreal.

My company had important business partners who held an office in the South Tower. They ended up losing 14 staff members. May all citizens and first responders who lost their lives that day continue to rest in peace.

The United States, and the world, changed that day. A loss of innocence, especially for commercial air travel. I am proud of the resolve that our country has demonstrated against terrorists since then.
Yep, the slaughter of hundreds of thousands Afghanis and Iraqis that had nothing at all to do with 911/terrorism was a great response. A loss of Innocence for air travel? Did you ever hear of Lockerbie or Flight 800, or the downing of the Korean airliner? The rest of the world didn't change much, but the false sense of safety of the US mainland was burst. Our response was typical and predictable. The neo-cons had been itching for an excuse to go to war in the mid-east and they had a plan in order already. 911 was their excuse. The question is whether the attack was part of the plan.

Reactions: WyoDawg307
Have you actually looked into it with an open mind? A LOT of shit doesn’t add up. I’m not trying to tell you what to think or what to believe. I try to think for myself and do my own research so I’m not a puppet to the BS that’s out there. Like I said I don’t know what happened but If you don’t think our government isn’t capable of doing terrible things then you obviously haven’t studied history my friend
The 911 Commission was just as inept and corrupt as the Warren Commission. Neither was interested in finding the truth.

I was heading up an executive conference at our office for clients who flew in the day before. All of our office was in the board room watching the news. Asked what they were watching and they told me about WTC getting hit by a plane. Turned the news on in our conference room and all our clients watched the happenings all day. Their flights were all delayed until Saturday and beyond because of the shutdown. A lot of us took our clients in our homes while they waited to get out. Hard to believe it was 22 years ago.

A reminder of what many are still dealing with, even if they were fortunate to survive/avoid physical scars.

The VA is crock of shit, at best. Want to "support the military"? Provide better follow-on care/benefits. Maybe increase pay so that the lowest-ranking enlisted aren't on food stamps.

This shouldn't be difficult.

/soapbox

A reminder of what many are still dealing with, even if they were fortunate to survive/avoid physical scars.

The VA is crock of shit, at best. Want to "support the military"? Provide better follow-on care/benefits. Maybe increase pay so that the lowest-ranking enlisted aren't on food stamps.

This shouldn't be difficult.

/soapbox
That is just plain awful. He deserves so much better. We’re taking care of everybody else’s while abandoning our own. Country is becoming harder to love.

Yep, the slaughter of hundreds of thousands Afghanis and Iraqis that had nothing at all to do with 911/terrorism was a great response. A loss of Innocence for air travel? Did you ever hear of Lockerbie or Flight 800, or the downing of the Korean airliner? The rest of the world didn't change much, but the false sense of safety of the US mainland was burst. Our response was typical and predictable. The neo-cons had been itching for an excuse to go to war in the mid-east and they had a plan in order already. 911 was their excuse. The question is whether the attack was part of the plan.
The reasons the various relevant government agencies didn’t pick up the clear signals before 9/11 have been thoroughly explored. The rivalry and lack of communications between the NSA, CIA and FBI prior to 9/11 are well documented and a typical characteristic of large bureaucracies.

When outcomes can be feasibly attributed to malice or incompetence, incompetence is generally the more likely cause.

Having said that, the neocons were more than happy to use the opportunity and I totally agree that they had been looking for an excuse since the completion of first gulf war. There is not a single positive outcome to the invasion of Iraq, and it resulted in a staggering loss of life and treasure. Worst of all, the outcome was entirely predictable.

The reasons the various relevant government agencies didn’t pick up the clear signals before 9/11 have been thoroughly explored. The rivalry and lack of communications between the NSA, CIA and FBI prior to 9/11 are well documented and a typical characteristic of large bureaucracies.

When outcomes can be feasibly attributed to malice or incompetence, incompetence is generally the more likely cause.

Having said that, the neocons were more than happy to use the opportunity and I totally agree that they had been looking for an excuse since the completion of first gulf war. There is not a single positive outcome to the invasion of Iraq, and it resulted in a staggering loss of life and treasure. Worst of all, the outcome was entirely predictable.
Yes, the incompetence was there to not pick up the signals. But, who formulated the plan? Ever read about the Dancing Israelis? Google it.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT