ADVERTISEMENT

What is the second best city in Georgia?

Mostly you'll get Atlanta sucks from people who've lived in the burbs their whole life and don't really know a lot about the city. They are the ones that think the vortex has the best burgers (I can walk there and never go) or talk about how traffic is so awful (every major city has bad traffic I hate to tell you). I've lived on the east-side for 12 years, Va-Highlands, Morningside, Inman Park and now own a home in Candler Park. I love it here, from all the bars, restaurants and concert venues, to all the neighborhood festivals. My personal favorites are the Halloween Parade, Inman Park Fest, Candler Park Fest and Porch Fest this year was incredible. You really never run out of things to do, and the mountains are close by. I have great schools around me, and can walk my kid to school. I can walk every where from my dentist, to a concert or to pick up groceries. One of the few major cities left where there are houses with yards and skyscrapers in your back yard. It truly is a unique, quirky, and fun city. So with that said Atlanta is truly the best and I'd say Savannah is 2nd followed by Athens.
All of this. Atlanta is one is the few places (and maybe the only) in the state where you can live there and never have to use your car. Some people just don’t like living in a population dense area, and I get that. It’s not for everyone.

I am going with a hot take and saying Augusta(Evans to be exact) Perfectly located, close enough to Atlanta and Athens for sports etc.... Closer to Columbia for faux big city experience. Has an airport with multiple stops and if Augusta doesn't have your flight Columbia might(only 45 minutes away). Augusta also has an emerging downtown scene with plenty of restaurants and arts scene. Only a 3 hour or so ride to Savannah or Hilton Head. Great location for education from Kindergarten all the way up to your Doctorate!

I am going with a hot take and saying Augusta(Evans to be exact) Perfectly located, close enough to Atlanta for sports etc.... Closer to Columbia for faux big city experience. Has an airport with multiple stops and if Augusta doesn't have your flight Columbia might(only 45 minutes away). Augusta also has an emerging downtown scene with plenty of restaurants and arts scene. Only a 3 hour or so ride to Savannah or Hilton Head. Great location for education from Kindergarten all the way up to your Doctorate!
This, to me, is the great divide that determines whether someone picks Atlanta or not Atlanta. What you've described is a place that requires your car and requires you to drive 15-20 minutes to do almost anything (if you're in Evans, you've got a ways to go before you're in downtown Augusta or at the Green Jackets game). That doesn't sound appealing to me at all. I can walk to anything I need or I can hop on the train and get to sporting events. That's why "best city" is so inherently subjective because what you've described is "best place to have a house to drive to go somewhere else to do stuff"

Does it get any better than Climax?

giphy.gif

I'm assuming Atlanta and the surrounding areas are the best (size, amenities, etc.), but tell me what the second best city is and why

EDIT: I wasn't expecting the push back on my assumption that Atlanta was the best. I just assumed all the shopping, eating, recreation, music, sports, and transportation amenities you could want in one city would back it the best. That being said, maybe the thread should be, what is the Best City in Georgia? Go!
Athens, Savannah, Alpharetta, Roswell, Woodstock, Marietta, Milton, Suwanee, And soon-to-be Buckhead

Mostly you'll get Atlanta sucks from people who've lived in the burbs their whole life and don't really know a lot about the city. They are the ones that think the vortex has the best burgers (I can walk there and never go) or talk about how traffic is so awful (every major city has bad traffic I hate to tell you). I've lived on the east-side for 12 years, Va-Highlands, Morningside, Inman Park and now own a home in Candler Park. I love it here, from all the bars, restaurants and concert venues, to all the neighborhood festivals. My personal favorites are the Halloween Parade, Inman Park Fest, Candler Park Fest and Porch Fest this year was incredible. You really never run out of things to do, and the mountains are close by. I have great schools around me, and can walk my kid to school. I can walk every where from my dentist, to a concert or to pick up groceries. One of the few major cities left where there are houses with yards and skyscrapers in your back yard. It truly is a unique, quirky, and fun city. So with that said Atlanta is truly the best and I'd say Savannah is 2nd followed by Athens.
You left out the crime rate, But agree re: Vortex, terribly overrated.

It depends on what you want and what you're looking for. Also "Atlanta" is really dependent on what neighborhood you're in (i.e. how walkable it is). I'm in a walkable neighborhood and it's great, but other places aren't so pedestrian friendly.

Savannah and Athens are nice. Macon, Augusta, and Columbus are nice places to stop on the interstate on your way to somewhere else. Don't even drive through Albany.

Also agree with @George Hayduke on Blue Ridge. We were up there recently, and it's pretty great.
I grew up in Blue Ridge.

It's really gotten to be a great place over the years and easy access to Atlanta if you want to pop in.

This, to me, is the great divide that determines whether someone picks Atlanta or not Atlanta. What you've described is a place that requires your car and requires you to drive 15-20 minutes to do almost anything (if you're in Evans, you've got a ways to go before you're in downtown Augusta or at the Green Jackets game). That doesn't sound appealing to me at all. I can walk to anything I need or I can hop on the train and get to sporting events. That's why "best city" is so inherently subjective because what you've described is "best place to have a house to drive to go somewhere else to do stuff"
It is subjective for sure, I have done both. Where I am at is good for me because I am in the burbs and have access to Uber etc... for trips downtown. Its the burbs with a city just down the road!

Reactions: donalsonville_dawg
I'm assuming Atlanta and the surrounding areas are the best (size, amenities, etc.), but tell me what the second best city is and why

EDIT: I wasn't expecting the push back on my assumption that Atlanta was the best. I just assumed all the shopping, eating, recreation, music, sports, and transportation amenities you could want in one city would back it the best. That being said, maybe the thread should be, what is the Best City in Georgia? Go!
Athens is the best and whatever city is closest to Athens is the 2nd best.

Reactions: 78DAWG and BonJax
I am going with a hot take and saying Augusta(Evans to be exact) Perfectly located, close enough to Atlanta and Athens for sports etc.... Closer to Columbia for faux big city experience. Has an airport with multiple stops and if Augusta doesn't have your flight Columbia might(only 45 minutes away). Augusta also has an emerging downtown scene with plenty of restaurants and arts scene. Only a 3 hour or so ride to Savannah or Hilton Head. Great location for education from Kindergarten all the way up to your Doctorate!

I beg your pardon, mama, what did you say?
My mind was drifting off on Martinique Bay
It's not that I'm not interested, you see
Augusta, Georgia is just no place to be…

Since this is a UGA board, I clicked on this link just assuming that Athens (not Atlanta) would be #1... Interesting divergence of opinions here. :)

Reactions: Fed_Dawg
.How can one of the most obvious choices be overlooked so far? I'm talking. of course,
about the Largest Town, in the Largest County, in the Largest State East of the Mississippi River.

The Great and Beautiful city of WAYCROSS.

Athens......Then Nashville Tn (old atlanta)...

Climax, Ga. in Decatur county.

Grew up in Blue Ridge. Like the mountains but not to live year round. I'd be bouncing off the walls and I remember why I don't live there now.

Probably Athens would be the likeliest choice. University brings in interesting events, good choices for eating and a skip and a jump to the ATL.

Alternatively, something around Savannah simply because I'm drawn to the low country and would like to be closer to the ocean.

A lot depends on what phase of life you are in and what your economic situation is.

.How can one of the most obvious choices be overlooked so far? I'm talking. of course,
about the Largest Town, in the Largest County, in the Largest State East of the Mississippi River.

The Great and Beautiful city of WAYCROSS.
I used to love to grab a sandwich at Larry's Giant Subs in Waycross back in my sales days. He gone 😔 Is the Brunswick store still open?

Reactions: aadco and CJ3131
The two cities I live between, Cumming and Ball Ground.
My BIL lives in your neck of the woods. He gets some of the best Brunswick stew from somewhere in Ball Ground. The stuff is amazing.

Crime was up in every big city over the last year, but it's still low in a historical context. It's not 1970s NYC or anything
ATL is in a crime epidemic. When a man goes out for a 3 mile walk at 8:30, a car pulls up, rolls window down, driver shoots him for no reason except kicks and giggles. When muggings are fairly routine at Lenox, not a day goes by without a shootout, car thefts at record high, I would say crime is up and alarming when you live here. Yet, the Mayor is nowhere to be found. People moving out heading north and south. Sad

ATL is in a crime epidemic. When a man goes out for a 3 mile walk at 8:30, a car pulls up, rolls window down, driver shoots him for no reason except kicks and giggles. When muggings are fairly routine at Lenox, not a day goes by without a shootout, car thefts at record high, I would say crime is up and alarming when you live here. Yet, the Mayor is nowhere to be found. People moving out heading north and south. Sad
Lots of solid talking points and information without context in here. Great work. One of your best

I'm always drawn to college towns and obviously would pick Athens for this.

You have vibrance of downtown with college kid prices for food, but can be in the woods by yourself in 10-15 minutes if you choose. That's the kind of variety a good college town provides.

If Atlanta is the #1 by default (it ain't for me, but people seem to like it up there), if you aint' within 30 minutes of a beach, you're not in one of the top two cities in Georgia. Personally, I wouldn't want to live with the city limits of Savannah, but Pooler, Richmond Hill, Midway, are all good choices. Hell, St Simons or Brunswick would be good, too.

That and describing Columbia as a “faux big city experience”.

My Vote:
1.) Athens
2.) Savannah
Athens, Savannah, SSI and Tiger Ridge depending on job, family etc.

I laughed heartily at the Antonio Brown guy that is going to run for mayor getting his car jacked in broad daylight by some kids. I guess he got drug by the car a few blocks as well. Yup, ATL is the GOAT alright. They couldn't pay me enough to live anywhere inside the perimeter and the suburbs aren't much better with all their BS.

Eatonton GA
Athens GA
Atlanta GA
I used to love to go to the tastee freez in Eatonton. My Uncle was a big dairy farmer back in the day in Eatonton. Uncle Remus museum used to be there. later on, there was some huge nuwaubian compound built. Eatonton, very interesting place.

Last edited:
Reactions: rednblack4life
It depends on what you want and what you're looking for. Also "Atlanta" is really dependent on what neighborhood you're in (i.e. how walkable it is). I'm in a walkable neighborhood and it's great, but other places aren't so pedestrian friendly.

Savannah and Athens are nice. Macon, Augusta, and Columbus are nice places to stop on the interstate on your way to somewhere else. Don't even drive through Albany.

Also agree with @George Hayduke on Blue Ridge. We were up there recently, and it's pretty great.
What thr hell would someone from Donaldsonville know about a city…That it has a red light…
I know buy your statement you have been 200 yards of the interstate in Macon and Augusta

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT